Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-31-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
Bad smell of brakes = $1100 USD

So I'm coming home from work today, and start to feel the car pulsating when rolling forward at slow speeds. Thought it was weird, but didn't pay much attention to it. I continue towards home, as it is only a 5-10 minute drive from where I was. At the next stoplight, I could smell the distinct odour of hot brakes. Now this alone would mean nothing, especially the way I drive, but I hadn't been ripping it around or anything. I know this won't be good.

I get out of the car, and follow the scent to the front passenger side wheel. Low and behold, the rotor was GLOWING!!! I let it cool down, and finished the 5 minute drive to my house.

So basically, the caliper is Fu%$#d, the rotor is definitely warped, the pads very likely cooked, etc.... I'm going to be in for a full front brake job now, even though the pads and rotors aren't that old.

WHAT DO I DO?????? I'll tell you what I'm going to do....

UUC motorwerks / Wilwood BBK for the front. ($1100 USD)

Now, I know that I could probably get rolling again for a lot less, but I'd still be stuck with one questionable stock caliper, and I'd still have to get new Axxis Ultimates and C/D Brembo rotors.

Atleast this way, I'm getting a big braking upgrade. Regardless, I just wanted to vent. What a kick right in the nutsack..... Dave

Oh... I almost forgot. My 15" winters won't fit over the Wilwoods, so I have to pick up a couple more snow tires for my 17's. That's an extra slap in the bag on top of everything else....

Last edited by 98Dinan3; 01-31-2007 at 09:00 PM.
98Dinan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
Boots R
Boots, not boost

caliper seized?
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:55 PM   #3
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

I haven't ripped it apart yet, but my guess is YES!
Old 02-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
If this car is never going to see the track I don't think a BBK is necessary. Plus to every utilize the full potential of the brakes you'd need kick ass tires. I'd just replace or rebuild the siezed caliper.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
had this happen to me too. ^^he installed m3 brakes fro me. Why not just do the same? believe me, PLENTY of stopping power, they come with new calipers anyway (along with new spindles, carriers, etc)

see if bruce has a set with some nice brakes already on it. You'll save about 800$, which you can buy me a beer with

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Would M3 brakes require the use of 17's too? That's the stock rim size, I'm just guessing.
carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
yes, 17's

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe
Would M3 brakes require the use of 17's too? That's the stock rim size, I'm just guessing.
I tried to fit my stock 16" sport wheel and it wouldn't clear the caliper. It's possible that a 16" steel wheel would though.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 02-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Well, it's a done deal. I was looking to upgrade in the summer anyway, it just came sooner than expected. I made some good money in the last 2 days on a cash job, so the brakes are paid for and then some. I am going to hit the track for a few DE events, and likely some autoX this year, so the brake upgrade should come in handy. The extra "bling" factor is a cool bonus as well. Oh well, like I said above, I just wanted you all to feel my pain....LOL!
Old 02-01-2007, 05:19 PM   #10
thinair
moderationistismingly

Well, a BBK won't help you in auto-x, if anything it will handicap you in the points system. At the track, just a set of decent pads and fluid and you're set. I'd save the $1000 for something else.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #11
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

I actually just spoke with Rob Levinson of UUC and he did even better on the price. He knocked off $200 from the original price of the kit, and included the overnight shipping. I placed the order at 3:30 pm TODAY, and the kit will arrive at my US address TOMORROW!!!!!! How is that for service?????

This was the quickest solution to my problem. I could try to find the M3 conversion, but that could potentially mean lost time. I'm basically without a personal vehicle until I can get this sorted, and I HATE THAT! Cruising around in the work van isn't the coolest thing, and the heat in the bastard sucks. That would mean possibly renting a car to get around, and that = more $$$$. With the UUC kit, and Rob's awesome service, I'm only down 2 days.

Anyway, I can't say enough about Rob Levinson and UUC Motorwerks. They have great products, fair pricing, and best of all, the highest level of customer service I 've ever found with a performance company.

Dave
Old 02-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #12
thinair
moderationistismingly

I agree with you there, Rob is awesome, his service has always been awesome. He's always answered all my questions truthfully and promptly. I can't wait for him to release his tall shifter setup.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: