Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 03:46 AM   #1
FatDaddyBMW
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to FatDaddyBMW
Hey BoBimmer, I got sumthin' for ya

Believe it or not, this isn't a flame!!

As much as I rag on you, I want you to know that I respect you as a fellow Bimmerhead just like I respect Bliss, empowr, Motronix, bmwm5lovr, or whoever else you can think of.

With that said, I noticed in your sig that you want to convert your e30 to a manual. In case you haven't read up on it, this is a very, very daunting task, to say the least. Plan on budgeting about $1200 - $1400 in parts alone and about a week of your time.

You can do this yourself if you've got a little bit of experience working on your car. To see my list of credentials, check out my site at www.fatdaddybmw.com. I've done basically maintenance stuff (although I changed out my starter, which was a real BITCH to do on the M20), and the transmission swap was a big step for me.

If you go to my site and pull up the Site Map, you'll see a whole section for the auto-to-manual swap. Check it out and check out my pictures (I took over 300 and have a good number of them uploaded). I should have the write-up done in another week or so.

If you decide to do the swap in the next few months or so, don't forget to look me up, ok? I can give you info on what parts you'll need, what parts to buy new, how to do the wiring, etc.

Brad "Shifty" Couvillon
'87 528e <--- Mark D'Sylva chip, 3.46 diff, 5-speed conversion, Bav Auto / Bilstein Sport

Old 01-20-2003, 04:25 AM   #2
BoBimmer
3rd Gear Member

You Da' MAN! LOL Hey as long as you arent giving me a hard time, "I LOVE YOU TOO MAAAANNNNNN!" LOL So the E28 auto to manual conversion is the same as E30? Awesome but I dont have a lift or anything!? How did you get around that?

1991 325i(s) MINT!
Automatic (soon to be manual)
2.5L M20 (3.2L M50 ON ITS WAY!! '99 with 28K Miles!)
Bright Red
Stock body (soon to have Reiger E46 kit maybe M-Tech II?)
18" VoXX WHEELS
Stock suspension(OBX COILOVERS and tokico illuminas)
Remus exhaust (headers soon?)
Homemade intake
Indiglo gauges
stock BLAH brown interior leather (soon to have black vaders and all new black interior
Awesome system 2 12" JL W7's JL1000 amp JL 500.4 running 6x9 rear bostons and 61/2 front bostons!

2002 f350 Crew Cab Dually!
AIRBAGS ARE ON NOW!! Rollin' lower than Low_BMW scrapin' up the streets of DFW!! Tucking 22's almost to the center caps!!

2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Just got done adding a 6" lift 20" wheels with offroad Nitto tires! It is fun to take out on a sunday afternoon of rock climbing, or mudding when it rains alott!
Old 01-20-2003, 04:33 AM   #3
BoBimmer
3rd Gear Member

So hey are you in Louisiana or Texas? I saw alot of Texas refrences in your site! I am from Euless which is right between Dallas and Ft Worth!

1991 325i(s) MINT!
Bright Red
18" VoXX WHEELS
Homemade intake
Indiglo gauges
stock BLAH brown interior leather (soon to have black vaders and all new black interior
Awesome system 2 12" JL W7's JL1000 amp JL 500.4 running 6x9 rear bostons and 61/2 front bostons!

AIRBAGS ARE ON NOW!! Rollin' lower than Low_BMW scrapin' up the streets of DFW!! Tucking 22's almost to the center caps!!

2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Just got done adding a 6" lift 20" wheels with offroad Nitto tires! It is fun to take out on a sunday afternoon of rock climbing, or mudding when it rains alott!
Old 01-20-2003, 04:43 AM   #4
FatDaddyBMW
2nd Gear Member

You're kiddin me?!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BoBimmer
So hey are you in Louisiana or Texas? I saw alot of Texas refrences in your site! I am from Euless which is right between Dallas and Ft Worth!

Bo, you are SHITTIN me, you're right around the DFW area? I have a lot of e28 friends that live in Dallas, and I'm actually gonna go swing by one's house (he lives in The Colony outside Dallas) during the 2nd weekend in Feb (about the 7th or so). Maybe we can meet up some time that weekend?

Anyway, about the swap: the e30 is almost the same as the e28, especially since my e28 has an M20 engine like your e30. There are a couple of small things that are different, but for the most part, it's the exact same.

I have a friend with some hugeass 6 ton jack stands and a big Sears-type 3.5 ton jack with a big cradle. I put the car as high as I could on the jack stands (it was so high that the hood almost touched the ceiling of the carport when it was open), and I actually had plenty of room to do everything.

I did the swap completely alone. I had no help whatsoever (well, not in person; I got a lot of help from people on the phone, lol), and I still got it done.

Hope this helps!

Brad "Shifty" Couvillon
'87 528e <--- Mark D'Sylva chip, 3.46 diff, 5-speed conversion, Bav Auto / Bilstein Sport

Old 01-20-2003, 04:50 AM   #5
BoBimmer
3rd Gear Member

Yes I am directly in between Dallas and FtWorth and that would be great to hook up when you come around I have been looking for beemer people around here for so long it isnt funny! Damn I am just kinda scared though! I mean I have done plenty of work on cars mostly stereo and suspension on mini trucks lowering them and customizing them. In fact I am about to post another picture of my self in SHOW US YOUR PICS!! And in it is my F350 I eventually am going to be dropping this thing on airbags within scraping distance of the ground! As soon as I can save enough money! HArd to save money while in school~!

1991 325i(s) MINT!
Bright Red
18" VoXX WHEELS
Homemade intake
Indiglo gauges

2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 01-24-2003, 03:26 AM   #6
nzer
4th Gear Member

heya,

on a side note, thanks for having this thread. :-). This is exactly what I was looking for. I just can't wait to change my 88 318i to manual!. I was looking at your website FatDaddy and its a great help.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 01-24-2003, 03:38 AM   #7
FatDaddyBMW
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nzer
heya,

on a side note, thanks for having this thread. :-). This is exactly what I was looking for. I just can't wait to change my 88 318i to manual!. I was looking at your website FatDaddy and its a great help.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew,

Glad I've been of help. Feel free to e-mail or PM me if you ever have any questions about what's on my site.

Brad

Brad "Shifty" Couvillon

Old 01-24-2003, 04:31 AM   #8
nzer
4th Gear Member

Cheers, i'm gonna need every bit of info i can get my hands on!
Old 01-24-2003, 05:23 AM   #9
BoBimmer
3rd Gear Member

Brad

So we you cming to Texs? We will have t try to get togeter for something! You ever go to BMP in Tyler or Terry Saythers in Austin?

1991 325i(s) MINT!
Bright Red
18" VoXX WHEELS
Homemade intake
Indiglo gauges

2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 01-24-2003, 06:04 AM   #10
FatDaddyBMW
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BoBimmer
Brad

So we you cming to Texs? We will have t try to get togeter for something! You ever go to BMP in Tyler or Terry Saythers in Austin?
I hope to be there the weekend of Feb 7th.

I'll let you know when it gets closer to time, and we can see about meeting.

Cya

Brad "Shifty" Couvillon

Old 01-24-2003, 08:15 AM   #11
Gamite

please use pm guys.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: