Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-17-2006, 01:45 PM   #46
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Lol, I have had 20 taxi cabs cut me off in the last year, should I make a stereo type too?

Enjoy your 3.2 TL, if you dont' know the difference in driving excitement. I find them as boring to drive as a domestic mid size. And yes I realise that base model automatic E46's aren't great either, they still can be fun with a few small mods.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:48 PM   #47
Axxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
I have worse, I was driving around without my ignition coil cover, I got pulled over randomly and the cop asking what 'those' (ignition coils) were, I told him and he told me 'you know those are illegal right?' I'm like 'no, they're stock, they say BMW right on them'. 'Where is your distributor then?' lol

LOL, I can see a dumbass cop doing that. I've gotten pulled over in my E30 for having it "excessively low," and yet, it wasn't that low at all. I just convinced them that it's stock. I've also gotten pulled over in the 545i for a routine stop, and the cop tried to convince me that the tires are too wide. I showed him the sticker on the door.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:15 PM   #48
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe
Don't worry about the legalities, most cops don't know WTF is going on, one cop thought that the two oxygen sensors on the exhaus manifold of my buddies civic were spark plugs or nos injectors. Yeah, that dumb.
I had an octane booster sitting on my passenger seat, and it said "NOS" on it. I was parked, in front of my car, when an officer walked over to the car to ask me about it, see if the paint was legal, blah blah. he looked in the window and saw "NOS" and started accusing me of having nitrous, and demanded me to show him under my passenger seat... (I think he watched too much fast and the furious). Even after telling him numerous times it was an octane booster, it wasn't until his partner came over and read the box, that they realized... it was an octane booster.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:16 PM   #49
AceOfSpades
♠ ♠ ♠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots R
I had an octane booster sitting on my passenger seat, and it said "NOS" on it. I was parked, in front of my car, when an officer walked over to the car to ask me about it, see if the paint was legal, blah blah. he looked in the window and saw "NOS" and started accusing me of having nitrous, and demanded me to show him under my passenger seat... (I think he watched too much fast and the furious). Even after telling him numerous times it was an octane booster, it wasn't until his partner came over and read the box, that they realized... it was an octane booster.
LMFAO
More Stories more stories
AceOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:21 PM   #50
Big T
94 318is

If you can't see a car coming in the day time without them having lights on then you shouldn't be driving.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:35 PM   #51
Axxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T
If you can't see a car coming in the day time without them having lights on then you shouldn't be driving.

Yup, sadly it's easier to get a drivers license here than it is to pass a grade 3 spelling test. Have you seen some of the imigrant truck drivers? It's just downright scary!! That's not saying canadian born drivers are much better, but when I read over an application for a driver and it says "5 years driving in my country" and doesn't state which country they are from, something is up. Experience can only be transferred from Europe on insurance, I wonder why.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:32 PM   #52
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Quote:
Yup, sadly it's easier to get a drivers license here than it is to pass a grade 3 spelling test. Have you seen some of the imigrant truck drivers? It's just downright scary!! That's not saying canadian born drivers are much better, but when I read over an application for a driver and it says "5 years driving in my country" and doesn't state which country they are from, something is up. Experience can only be transferred from Europe on insurance, I wonder why.
LOL true, i remember when i was going for my G2 i seen this one guy and he didnt even know english who was trying to get the air brake/truck license , w.e its called....as for DRL, i think its just stupid cause um, its DAYTIME.....just seems like a waste of energy to me....and if you're actually paying attention then you'll SEE the other cars on the road....one of these days im gonna look into getting rid of it since i would like to run HID's....lol i remember wen our family went to minnesota at a stop light some guy beside us said, " whats the matter how come you have your headlights on in the middle of the day???"
Old 12-17-2006, 10:03 PM   #53
AceOfSpades
♠ ♠ ♠

Proof that DRL is just bullshit and a waste of energy-
it took me 2 months to figure out/notice that everybody has DRL. On a dull day,i noticed most drivers with their lights on. I asked myself why did everybody had daytime running lights? I thought it was a rememberance thing. Then, when i asked my friend, he said DRLs were a requirement
AceOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:00 PM   #54
Big T
94 318is

Quote:
LOL funny you mentioned that, one of those immigrant truck drivers sideswipped my e36 back in the summer
Old 12-20-2006, 08:12 PM   #55
Axxe

One of them just wrecked one of my Dad's trucks . Fell asleep at the wheel, like ****, if you are tired, pull over and go to sleep. ****ing dumbass didn't even have any money to buy a bus ticket home, AND expects payment for the time from when he smashed the truck (130k truck + 80k trailer) until he got home. Yeah ****ing right dumbass, saddle up something on 4 legs and ride off on that, at least they can keep themselves out of the ditch if you pass out!!

Old 12-26-2006, 10:43 AM   #56
redhead
1st Gear Newbie

DRL's are a SAFETY feature!

I'm not normally one to chime in on this sort of thing...

...however...

Although the information posted is legally correct, DRL's are a safety feature...beleive it or not, and thus why they are mandated by Transport Canada. They do add to visibility, and do in fact decrease collisions.

Why are people interested in removing a safety feature? ...Please don't tell me it doesn't look cool...
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:31 AM   #57
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

^^^^ Agreed - The other day is was quite rainy and dark at 2PM in the afternoon - It was definitely difficult to see darker coloured cars on the road... There was one Accord where the guy had removed the DRL's and I could clearly see how easy would it be to miss the car...

Deep

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:48 PM   #58
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead
Why are people interested in removing a safety feature? ...Please don't tell me it doesn't look cool...
That is one of the reasons. It also causes an unneeded stress on the alternator and bettery with it running all the time. I would also like to upgrade to HID's, but they need a jolt of power at start up. If I have DRLs, then the HIDs will come on when I am starting the car... the same time when my starter is draining power from the battery, and all of the other lights. I don't like replacing alternators and batteries prematurely.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:49 PM   #59
redhead
1st Gear Newbie

Safety is safety...don't compromise here for the sake of looking cool. That's just not cool.

Ok...Well although I can't argue entirely against the stress on the battery and alternator (come on...really...any more excuses?), the rather *limited* draw of headlights is really nothing to worry about...I've done some dyno testing with this and the difference with them on an off is within dyno repeatability (ie. barely measurable).

Perhaps if you're looking to make your alternator and battery last longer you should remove the heater and stereo too... ...but keep in mind the heater is a mandated safety item!

____
J
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:52 PM   #60
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead
Safety is safety...don't compromise here for the sake of looking cool. That's just not cool.

Ok...Well although I can't argue entirely against the stress on the battery and alternator (come on...really...any more excuses?), the rather *limited* draw of headlights is really nothing to worry about...I've done some dyno testing with this and the difference with them on an off is within dyno repeatability (ie. barely measurable).

Perhaps if you're looking to make your alternator and battery last longer you should remove the heater and stereo too... ...but keep in mind the heater is a mandated safety item!

____
J
I took out my system, no subs or additional amp, for that same reason. While removing the DRLs may be "excessive" in your eyes, it is still one thing I can do to extend the life of parts I choose not to replace prematurely.

And you state it is a safety issue... Please tell me why then, in the US that e36's came with no DRLs? They experience the same weather conditions, and follow along the same basic guidelines with regards to road safety and car safety.

Don't get me wrong, its safer, but not by much. It's like talking about the differences between DRLs on and off. Minute differences.

I drive with my angel eyes on anyways.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: