Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2006, 12:55 AM   #1
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear
 
Redster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 3,623
Adjusting headlights

Is there a way to "even out" xenon headlights, so instead of that 'Z' pattern (where the light on the right side goes further ahead) both sides are even?
__________________
"You wanna make moves on the streets? Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."
Redster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:06 AM   #2
Gamite
Moderator
 
Gamite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21,083
you want the z pattern. Its there to light up signs on the side of the road. if you had a straigt line, the light would not reflect back.

I used to have a straight pattern on my old US spec elipsoids, it actually makes a difference having the Z.
__________________
www.gamite.net

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:58 AM   #3
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member
 
M3ti Compact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,465
You have to open them up.

The cutoff is made by a thin metal plate inside the headlight that blocks the light at the top to make the pattern. All you got to do is find something to modify the plate to your desired pattern- you can get creative here, you don't necessarily have to go flat all the way accross.

I noticed that after putting HID's behind the e-code depos, they were blinding people like crazy even at the lowest setting...so I modified mine, using an old metal blind slat and some all temp super glue, and made it so that top half of the tick is blocked slightly...so I now have the regular cutoff, the tickup, and then another plateau.

Another thing I've seen done is to flatten out the cutoff on the driver's side light only, keeping the regular cutoff on the passenger side to lightup the signs and whatnot. One light will look brighter than the other at certain angles though.
__________________
M3ti Compact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact
You have to open them up.

The cutoff is made by a thin metal plate inside the headlight that blocks the light at the top to make the pattern. All you got to do is find something to modify the plate to your desired pattern- you can get creative here, you don't necessarily have to go flat all the way accross.

I noticed that after putting HID's behind the e-code depos, they were blinding people like crazy even at the lowest setting...so I modified mine, using an old metal blind slat and some all temp super glue, and made it so that top half of the tick is blocked slightly...so I now have the regular cutoff, the tickup, and then another plateau.

Another thing I've seen done is to flatten out the cutoff on the driver's side light only, keeping the regular cutoff on the passenger side to lightup the signs and whatnot. One light will look brighter than the other at certain angles though.
People do damnest things here

But, why just not use some duct tape on the outside of the lens?
EstorilM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on
 
spooner_dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,948
Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM3
People do damnest things here

But, why just not use some duct tape on the outside of the lens?
if you cant duck it, **** it.
__________________

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
abc12
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 811
what kind of car is it ne ways, most of them are easily adjustable, just turning a screw back and fourth will do the trick......
abc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear
 
Redster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 3,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc12
what kind of car is it ne ways, most of them are easily adjustable, just turning a screw back and fourth will do the trick......
It won't because, as M3ti Compact said already, Z pattern is created by a metal plate inside pass side headlight.
__________________
"You wanna make moves on the streets? Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."
Redster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2014