Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-18-2006, 12:02 AM   #16
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

Talking wheeeeeeeeeeee..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
It's still over 20 years old. I'd go nuts on the rebuild.
X2..........but as you you do this,do it for lots of BOOST too......*santa*
Old 12-18-2006, 11:07 AM   #17
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
I'd spend money completely rebuilding the M30 first, rather than upgrading a thing.
+1 to that.

No matter how strong or "indestructible" a motor is, it's still a motor and a mechanical device, which will eventually wear as any other mechanical device would. Add to that the fact FI will only add to the wear rate, and I would say it just makes sence to start fresh. Power ain't free

Maybe it's just me, but I would rather have the peace of mind that my car isn't going to leave me stranded on the side of the road.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:56 AM   #18
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius
+1 to that.

No matter how strong or "indestructible" a motor is, it's still a motor and a mechanical device, which will eventually wear as any other mechanical device would. Add to that the fact FI will only add to the wear rate, and I would say it just makes sence to start fresh. Power ain't free

Maybe it's just me, but I would rather have the peace of mind that my car isn't going to leave me stranded on the side of the road.

Yes, I am usually all for rebuilds, however doing a rebuild while swapping the motor in usually ends up in an over-budget project, and leaving it internally stock and then rebuilding it down the road (during winter when car is stored) will offset the time of the expenses.

That's just the way I look at it, since pulling a motor isn't a real big deal to me.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:44 AM   #19
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe
Yes, I am usually all for rebuilds, however doing a rebuild while swapping the motor in usually ends up in an over-budget project, and leaving it internally stock and then rebuilding it down the road (during winter when car is stored) will offset the time of the expenses.

That's just the way I look at it, since pulling a motor isn't a real big deal to me.
True, I guess it really comes down to how good the condition of the motor is when you start. To each his own I guess.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:58 PM   #20
seizinger
'79' 733i (E23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Maluco
FYI...the motor in a 745i is either an M102 (3.2l) engine with L-jet (found in '82 E23's) and the later motors are M106(3.4l)/Motronic setup-- far more tweakable.
Also, be sure the transmission is in top shape, these things are famous for killing clutch packs if revved in neutral.

There are some guys boosting M30's, especially in the US. TCD (Turbo Charging Dynamics... www.turbochargingdynamics.com ) has several kits for M30's.

Found this on the E12 board...
"We did the conversion on an e28 but instead of using the 745 block we just took all the turbo bits off the engine and bolted them to a 3.5 M30 block. Running 8psi. Cost $750 for the bits and $500 for seals, lines, I/C, oil cooler.
Used an I/C from a SAAB, oil cooler from a Mazda RX-7. Just need to modify the turbo down pipe, modify the passenger side motor mount and make a turbo oil return to the block. An e12 will be easier than an e28 as you don't have to relocate the ABS for the I/C and I don't think the down pipe will interfere with the suspension at all. "

On another thread I found this...
"Just finishing it up on an 1985 e28. Took all the turbo pieces from a 1982 745i and put it on a rebuilt M30 low compression motor. Main challenges are clearance for the turbo/wastegate on the passenger side as well as modifying the downpipe from the wastegate to clear the suspension mounting point. If you use a non-turbo head you need to drill out the threads for the exhaust manifold or get long studs which will fit the stock holes. Other things are:
Drilling the block for the oil return, installing a oxygen sensor, relocating the ABS pump (if you have one), installing an M5 clutch."

More info can be found here.... http://bmwturbos.scottiesharpe.com/default.asp

Remember one thing...rebuilding (highly recommended for durability) one of these 745i motors will cost you some good coin as it is a 'Euro' motor which = $$$.

As pointed out earlier, you can take the Turbo bits and plant them onto an M30 (rebuild recommended). If you want boost, I'd go this way as M30 engine bits are less expensive compared to the M102 and M106 Euro bits if something were to go wrong down the road.
However the advantage of using the M102 or M106 engine is that these motors were meant for Turbo's and engineered to accept the pressure BMW regulated for extended engine life.
You know how it goes...modify/adjust the Turbo pressure etc...= less engine life, but more satisfaction in the short term

Hope this helps you make your decision!

*santa*

i have a 79 e23 and i cant wait to get my engine rebuilt and chipped, its gonna be ****in awesome
seizinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:02 PM   #21
seizinger
'79' 733i (E23)

i have never pull'd an engine out but i met somone who said that he would love to do it. my dream rite now my engine burns oil like you wouldn't believe...well not until you drive behind me ha ha.
seizinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: