Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-15-2006, 08:36 AM   #16
BMWWW
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER
Klasse is the best sealant, bettter then Zaino. I tried both. You can wax over sealant, but not the other way around. The main thing with a sealant is you can layer it, so use it often and you get wicked protection, so I dont bother putting wax over it. I have 3 layers of Klasse on my car, that was 3 months ago, and the water still glides of the car easily. For ppl that drive their BMW in the winter a sealer is a must IMO. Slap on a few coats in the fall and you are good to go all winter.

Pej, when you run out of your Klasse SG, I think you should really look into the line from Jeff Werkstatt(http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com). It's supposed to be the newer generation of Klasse, and is both easier to use, and gives better results.

I know that picus is a big user of Jeff's, and he has used every single product line that ever existed. I'm sure that he'll chime in with his thoughts on this.

I personally use Collinite 845(also said to be available locally) because I'm lazy, and the it's cheap enough for me to just run over the entire car with my PC, and apply to the entire car in just a few minutes. Besides, I'm a beading-man, and 845's beads are

Good luck lads.
--Gabe
BMWWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:32 PM   #17
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

^^^ heard it is good too........
Old 12-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #18
STALKER
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to STALKER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite
I haven't tried Klasse, but I want to. I heard good stuff about Zaino, but I hear it doesn't offer much protection afterwards. My friends found that they have to re-wax afterwards. Zaino is more of a polish than a protectant. Perhaps use Zaino and then klass to seal it up.

Right now I'm just using that meguiars synthetic.

I find that the best way to get a shine is to still go back to the old fashioned way of polishing, then waxing. I polished my car with a 10" rotary polisher this year for the first time in a few years, and I was able to get that ol glitter back into the E34. Of course I sealed it up with a synthetic wax afterwards.

Remember than synthetic offers more protection, where carnuba offers more shine.
yup, the synthetic stuff will never shine like good old carnuba. But you don't have to use it as often, you layer it for more protection and shine, and it last so much longer.

2008 AW/FR E90 M3
//RAC RG63//Volk TE37//AP Racing BBK//Akrapovic Exhaust//Dinan SW//Dinan Intake//JRZ RS1 Coilovers//Dinan Monoball Control Arm Bearings//VRS Diffuser//
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:40 PM   #19
picus
Detailing Geek

Send a message via AIM to picus
So much craziness. I'll start with Zaino, since there is a ton of misinfo about it. BMWWW knows I would never use a black and white term in detailing like I am about to without making sure it was correct, so here goes - Zaino is one of the most durable sealants available right now, no question. I'd put it in the top 3 of commercially available sealants in terms of durability alone. Even in poor conditions it will last 5-6 months, in most cases it will exceed that. It is not a polish, a polish in as abrasive; it is marketed as a polish because Sal Zaino knows people know the word "polish" and don't know the words "synthetic polymer sealant". There are two Zaino sealants, Z2Pro and Z5Pro. The difference? Z2pro is optically clear, it will do no filling and tends to have that "plasticky" shine that people often associate with sealants. Z5pro has fillers and has a more natural "carnauba-esque" look. Zaino's only "polish" is ZPC.

Jeffs Werkstatt is a re-formulation of Klasse. Prime is their chemical cleaner and sealant base (so like AIO) and Acrylic Jett is like HGSG. The difference? They have a slightly deeper look, and more importantly are much easier to use than Klasse, which can be rather finicky. Acrylic Jett Trigger is really the jewel of their line - a full on spray sealant with 5 months durability, application can be done in 10 minutes.

Klasse is good stuff, AIO is a brilliant product, but for first time users HGSG can be an absolutely bear.

Meg's products are fine, but their OTC products leave a lot to be desired. NXT is an easy to use *sealant* (NXT is not a wax), it has fillers, downside is it will only last a couple months at best. Meguiars does have some great products, in particular their pro line sealants (#21), and a now-discontinued in the US wax, #16 (available at eshine.ca). #16 has the "wax" look, and like Collinite, lasts 4+ months.

Collinite is good too; incredibly durable for a wax, the liquid is easy to use and it's cheap.

I pretty much use Z5pro and Acrylic Jett only in the winter on client cars. Z5pro on darks, AJ on lights; why? Ease of use, looks, and most important I know they won't fail mid-winter.

Just a note; if you put 10 properly prep'd black cars beside eachother in a parking lot I personally bet after 10 years and countless waxes and sealants I couldn't tell if one had Zaino on it, one had AJ, one had Collinite, Megs 16, or spit. Your LSP has very little to do with the end result of your cars appearance. Focus more on what suits your lifestyle in terms of ease of use, durability, price, and availability.

The Barbers Chair is a barber shop, they're Zaino's Canadian distro (not sure why), they have stores at Square One, Fairview, etc... type The Barbers Chair into google.

Last edited by picus; 12-15-2006 at 10:44 PM.
picus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:48 PM   #20
picus
Detailing Geek

Actually, on the topic of most waxes/sealants looking the same on a well prep'd car. I am doing a little science experiment on Autopia right now:

http://autopia.org/forum/829016-post92.html

6 different LSP's on the car right now and I will be damned if I can see any difference on any of the sections.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:29 AM   #21
BMWWW
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
Actually, on the topic of most waxes/sealants looking the same on a well prep'd car. I am doing a little science experiment on Autopia right now:

http://autopia.org/forum/829016-post92.html

6 different LSP's on the car right now and I will be damned if I can see any difference on any of the sections.

Kev can do it all. From pro-detailer, to his artistic shots with his dlsr, and now, a scientist!

Great job Kev, keep "us" posted!

--Gabe
Old 12-16-2006, 04:41 PM   #22
picus
Detailing Geek

Haha ya, I'm about as scientific as a pack of monkeys.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:18 PM   #23
STALKER
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to STALKER
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWWW
Pej, when you run out of your Klasse SG, I think you should really look into the line from Jeff Werkstatt(http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com). It's supposed to be the newer generation of Klasse, and is both easier to use, and gives better results.

I know that picus is a big user of Jeff's, and he has used every single product line that ever existed. I'm sure that he'll chime in with his thoughts on this.

I personally use Collinite 845(also said to be available locally) because I'm lazy, and the it's cheap enough for me to just run over the entire car with my PC, and apply to the entire car in just a few minutes. Besides, I'm a beading-man, and 845's beads are

Good luck lads.
--Gabe
I will check it out, thanks.

2008 AW/FR E90 M3
//RAC RG63//Volk TE37//AP Racing BBK//Akrapovic Exhaust//Dinan SW//Dinan Intake//JRZ RS1 Coilovers//Dinan Monoball Control Arm Bearings//VRS Diffuser//
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:08 PM   #24
330ci05
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30
Zaino?

I doubt its the best money can buy.

Actually i'd spend my money on a highspeed buffer, that and the right stuff, beats any oribal/hand wax around.

There is special wax/polish/compound to use with highspeed buffers.

what kinda buffer did you get?? from wehre?? i'm aslo looking into getting one for the summer...

thx
330ci05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:28 PM   #25
BMWWW
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci05
what kinda buffer did you get?? from wehre?? i'm aslo looking into getting one for the summer...

thx

If you have no experience, you'd want to get a "Random-orbital"(Dual action) as opposed to a circular polisher(rotary).

The brand that has the most backing for a dual-action would be the Porter Cable (7424 and 7336). Dual-actions are a lot safer than a rotaries, and is probably more than enough for 99% of consumers. (Unless you have a Corvette).

You can get it (PC) at Canadian Tire ($200+), and at Eshine.ca (~$170 IIRC).

Good luck!
--Gabe
Old 12-17-2006, 06:51 PM   #26
picus
Detailing Geek

Hehe, I like the Corvette disclaimer. So true!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: