Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-22-2003, 03:03 AM   #1
PBalla
3rd Gear Member

Cops w/ and w/o radar?

Is it true that a cop w/o radar cannot pull you over for speeding?

I've heard stories (maybe in hear) about you guys passing cop cars but they didn't have radars so it seemed like it didn't matter, just wanted some clarification, thanks
Old 01-22-2003, 03:07 AM   #2
SickFinga

yes it is true
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 03:43 AM   #3
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Re: Cops w/ and w/o radar?

Quote:
Originally posted by Pharshballa
Is it true that a cop w/o radar cannot pull you over for speeding?

I've heard stories (maybe in hear) about you guys passing cop cars but they didn't have radars so it seemed like it didn't matter, just wanted some clarification, thanks
FALSE! they can and will book you. A cop ACCUSED me of going 90km/h in a 60Km/h zone.. he knocked it down on the spot to 5km/h over. I still have the ticket to prove it.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:49 AM   #4
SickFinga

Re: Re: Cops w/ and w/o radar?

Quote:
Originally posted by Miguel
FALSE! they can and will book you. A cop ACCUSED me of going 90km/h in a 60Km/h zone.. he knocked it down on the spot to 5km/h over. I still have the ticket to prove it.

trust me cop can pull you over and give you a ticket for speeding even if he doesn't have a radar.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:51 AM   #5
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Re: Re: Re: Cops w/ and w/o radar?

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
trust me cop can pull you over and give you a ticket for speeding even if he doesn't have a radar.
YES, I agree... thats exactlty what happened to me.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:57 AM   #6
SickFinga

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cops w/ and w/o radar?

Quote:
Originally posted by Miguel
YES, I agree... thats exactlty what happened to me.
ok, I misunderstood you

but I got excuse. My monitor is screwed, so can;t read
Old 01-22-2003, 04:16 AM   #7
FatDaddyBMW
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to FatDaddyBMW
In Louisiana, there are several boxes that the cop can check on the ticket to show how he got your speed rating:

* pacing (following behind you at a constant distance and checking his speedo)
* Radar (duh)
* Timing (He got radioed in by the plane that times you between two white marks on the road)

He does NOT need radar to give you a ticket.

However, he probably WILL need radar to make the ticket stick. If you get a ticket and that bastard says he paced you, smile, thank him for doing his job, tell him you're sorry and that you'll slow down, and immediately call your lawyer. You can beat this ticket. How does that cop know his speedo was calibrated correctly?!! Is he positive he was following at a constant distance when he checked his speedo? etc

Timing, this could be easy to beat, too. A plane bumping around all the time is hard to see a tiny car on the highway from. Also, the cop in the plane might not have done the correct calculations to figure out the speed.

If all else fails, go to court, and the cop probably wont' show. If he doesn't show, you're off the hook. I've heard of millions of people beating a ticket by doing nothing more than showing up in court.

Hope this helps!

BTW, you can beat a radar ticket, too. Oh, and you have a good chance at beating any ticket by:

Telling the truth, being very courteous (but not sucking up), apologize to the officer, acting VERY pissed at yourself, and saying sir, officer, please, thank you, etc.

I've gotten pulled over probably two or three times in the past year, every time with my V1 in plain sight, and I got off with nothing but a verbal warning every time. When I got pulled over, BTW, it was from instant-on. Even the mighty V1 can't detect instant-on!!!

Brad "Shifty" Couvillon
'87 528e <--- Mark D'Sylva chip, 3.46 diff, 5-speed conversion, Bav Auto / Bilstein Sport

FatDaddyBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 09:37 AM   #8
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Speaking of cops, apparently the Metro Police recently received their shipment of the newest Radar Detector Detector from Spectre. www.spectre-rdd.com

According to Spectre (and several independent testing sources), there isn't a detector out there that it can't detect (except those that are turned off...). Most of the results have it detecting radar detectors from over 1000 ft.

Even the guys at Valentine don't have an answer at the moment...luckily it's just the Toronto area, and the rest of Ontario is running something else.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 04:35 PM   #9
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Talking Have to be nice..

Rule of thumb is.. you donít want the cop to remember you. By throwing a fit, or having attitude will make him take notes on you and be ready to defend you in court.

Say youíre sorry.. you didnít really realize you were speeding too muchÖ. And be on your way.

Fight the ticket later.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 07:34 PM   #10
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

I was cruising usual 130km/h, on the fast lane of the 401 collectors, when my passenger pointed out a cop was pacing me, in the fast lane of the 401 express. Then, out of no where, a Mercedes C-Coupe shot passed the cop in the express lanes, on the inside...the cop then speeds up, paces the C-Coupe for a while, and then turns the cherries on...

Reverse clocking...do 130km/h...anyone who passes you gets a ticket!

And, BTW, cars like the P71 Crown Victoria have calibration certified speedometers for this purpose...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: