Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 7 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-03-2006, 03:50 AM   #1
Hound
V-Dub in da House

Send a message via MSN to Hound
Question about model year

Hey, I'm looking to get a E38 round about this time next year, can you guys steer me in the right direction of which model year is the best, i've been looking at some nice, slightly high millage 1995's and 1997-1999's mainly cause i don't want to spend a fortune upfront. What year was the best? and what year did they start at?

Thanks in advance.

Also how hard is it to find a car with the AG sport pkg, love those!!!!

07 GTI, Revo Stage II, 3" catless GHL exhaust, OEM R32 rear conversion, 17x9 + 17x11 215/45/17 all around on genuine BBS RS's, B&G RSII coilovers

96 Harliquin Golf
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
touchofclass
1999 BMW 740i BMW 2000IT

I have a 1997 740i and have had no major problems. You have to regular oil change maintenance and car. Have a good mechanic, I use Bimmersport and don't take it to just anyone to save a dime. There are a lot of ex lease vehicles so check the maintenance package and service records. My suggestion spend the little extra and buy from BMW Dealership i.e BK Motors in Waterloo. They are out of town, excellent service and down to earth.
There is a BMW 2000 blue sports series at Erin Mills autocenter right next to Mr Transmission in excellent condition and I feel sure you can get an excellent deal low mileage
Best of luck
Cheers

Last edited by touchofclass; 12-03-2006 at 10:08 AM.
touchofclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:23 AM   #3
Seven
Gimme The Keys

e38 Hound! Good choice man! I'm definitly biased, but I absolutely love my car! ... I could go into a year by year rundown of the changes and such ... but here are a couple links that already contain that type of information.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/u...x.cfm/id/2295/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E38

Sport packages are pretty easy to find as they were a very popular option. But I don't think the sport package was available until '99. And, the sport package only became available on the long wheel base models in '01. Also, the sport seats are only available on the short wheel base model (740i) ... and they are sweet! Those seats are the only reason I went with the i, instead of the iL.

Good luck with the search! Just keep checking autotrader ... you'll find some gems there every once in a while ... but they will go pretty fast.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
Hound
V-Dub in da House

I actually may be getting an E32 rather then the E38, since one became available to me recently. Do you guys have any insight as to what I should look out for or anything like that? Not an E38 which I plan to get at some point, but I do love the E32's almost as much as the E38's . Model i'm looking at is an '88 735i.

07 GTI, Revo Stage II, 3" catless GHL exhaust, OEM R32 rear conversion, 17x9 + 17x11 215/45/17 all around on genuine BBS RS's, B&G RSII coilovers

96 Harliquin Golf
Old 12-11-2006, 06:38 PM   #5
Seven
Gimme The Keys

e32 is another great choice! Big fan myself. There are other members on this board that could help you more, but I know the rads in those things were notorious for cracking, and there were a few recalls I believe. Also, the rear lights were bad for corrosion so sometimes making a burnt out light work is as simple as cleaning the connectors.

Other than that, I'd have to do some research for common e32 issues. But, it's a 18 almost 19 year old car. Anything could be wrong with it, I'd be willing to bet that there would be the odd electrical issue, like heated seats not working, nothing major, but you'd have to decide what you can and can't live with. Just check it over as closely as you can paying attention to rust and fluid leaks. Just my advice.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:24 PM   #6
Hound
V-Dub in da House

word thanks man, looks like it will be happening, barring any unforceen complications (which I believe there will be none but you never know). It's actually the one that is for sale on here by max member deaner, really nice guy to deal with, very good at getting back to me when I called and such max needs more seller like this

It's a bronze colour on tan interior, should be doing a trade, my 300E for the 735 which is awesome and what I was hoping to do at some point all along. So I guess that makes me a tentative member of these here halls any secret handshake I need to learn or... Guess we will be the token 7 guys eh man? At the meets that is...

96 Harliquin Golf
Old 12-14-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
Seven
Gimme The Keys

Sweet, I hope all goes well with the transaction. I'll give you a tentative "welcome to the 7-series section" . But, nah, no secret handshake, although that would be cool. A bimmer owner is a bimmer owner, no discrimination. Just like bikers, you got 2 wheels, and you don't abuse the respect, you are accepted ... well, accept for the odd elitist harley riders, but we'll forget about them for now.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:27 AM   #8
Hound
V-Dub in da House

lol, thanks bro

96 Harliquin Golf
Old 12-18-2006, 09:46 PM   #9
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

there is allways a secret handshake....heheeheheheeeeeeeeeee...cheers...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: