Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-15-2006, 11:47 AM   #1
chevale
2nd Gear Member

Alpine CDA-7894 pros and cons?

Found used Alpine CDA-7894 for a very attractive price, Just wonder what are pros and cons?
So far looks like a decent deck, the only thing which concerns me is that according to Crutchfield I'll need to run separate power wire from the battery. Is it so important or I can just hook the deck up to the existing power lead from original (OEM) deck?
TIA
Old 10-15-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I just removed that deck for a DVD player, and it was a difficult thing to do.

Great sound quality, and the lighting perfectly matches - all amber. Cons are basically due to the age of the unit: the MP3 file name recognition is spotty, there is no WMA support, parametric EQ is only 2 bands, and the menu system takes a bit of getting used to.

I'd buy another one in a second though.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:40 PM   #3
Gamite

I had the deck too, awesome deck. The only bad side for me was that when you scroll through MP3's using the file search, its slow. I think that's what Jay is refering to with the name recognition.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:29 PM   #4
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevale
Found used Alpine CDA-7894 for a very attractive price, Just wonder what are pros and cons?
So far looks like a decent deck, the only thing which concerns me is that according to Crutchfield I'll need to run separate power wire from the battery. Is it so important or I can just hook the deck up to the existing power lead from original (OEM) deck?
TIA

You can run it from the harness...it's fine usually. However on my car I did that and when I bumped it too loud the deck would turn off because it wasn't getting enough power. I ran it right from the battery and it was fine. But this was on the 240 on a BM it shoudl be ok.
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
chevale
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for replies! I am still thinking if I should get it, as I understand, production for this model was ceased in 2002...
I mean 4 years could be a long life for a deck.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:10 PM   #6
Mystikal

Julian, yeah, I didn't even mention that actually. I meant the ID3 tags and stuff, it's really outdated. But yeah, scrolling through folders sucks too.

I never had a problem with my deck at all. More glitches with new JVC decks I had.

@stancejay
Old 10-23-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
BMW03
2nd Gear Member

Its a good deck, with good sound, but I am used to pioneer decks. Which I have always bought, and they are a lot diff. from Alpine, with a lot of diff. features. I really like the illumination on Alpine, and they style. I think it would be a good buy if you are just looking for a new deck, but if you want something with a lot of good features and eq's and what not, then something else may be better.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:07 AM   #8
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
Julian, yeah, I didn't even mention that actually. I meant the ID3 tags and stuff, it's really outdated. But yeah, scrolling through folders sucks too.

I never had a problem with my deck at all. More glitches with new JVC decks I had.

ID3 tags were fine on mine, all you had to do was press title and it would read the tag instead of the file name.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #9
Mystikal

It only worked 50% of the time for me. The same CD's read the titles perfectly on my new deck.

@stancejay
Old 10-26-2006, 02:37 AM   #10
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
It only worked 50% of the time for me. The same CD's read the titles perfectly on my new deck.

maybe you have crappy MP3's

Old 11-11-2006, 11:02 PM   #11
chevale
2nd Gear Member

Well, after considering 7894 and screwed by seller over 9857 (still waiting for claim resolution with PayPal), got today 9851 for my wife's '95 Toyota Corolla wagon.
I hate to cut throw OEM wires, prefer just to make a correct adapter.
Currently got adapter for Nissan Maxima with the deck, so I assume Toyota's one might be available somewhere.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: