Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-09-2006, 01:13 AM   #16
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by static
a) 325i are nose biased from factory
53/47 is not nose heavy by any means.

Quote:
e) if you don't give a shit about weight distribution, you got the wrong car for wrong reasons
Adding 50 pounds spread across the front 40% of the car will not be that bad for weight distribution, at all. The slightest suspension adjustment could almost completely negate it.

Quote:
f) my car plows and locks front inner wheel at auto-x both in my and Randy's hands due to nose weight bias (and yes, i do have a pretty good suspension setup)
What? A nose-heavy car would lock the rear wheels. Your experience is just a result of the factory E30's front-biased brake system and the fact that you're autocrossing. Cars braking hard with relatively skinny front tires will lock up. And your spring rate is very soft, a stiffer setup would yield better results for keeping the weight more equal on all tires.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #17
static
6th Gear Member

front "inner tire" not tires, happens at corner entry.

perhaps you're right about soft front springs. I also think that it might be the small (16mm) rear sway bar causing this - making the car lean too much and the stiff front bar makes the inner tire lift. I'll have to play around with those next year.
Also i run Motorforce plates that presumably drop the hight 1" or so just by themselves.
also i really like my progressive rate, don't know how i would live with stiff linears.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:06 AM   #18
NickP

Quote:

perhaps you're right about soft front springs. I also think that it might be the small (16mm) rear sway bar causing this - making the car lean too much and the stiff front bar makes the inner tire lift. I'll have to play around with those next year.
Also i run Motorforce plates that presumably drop the hight 1" or so just by themselves.
also i really like my progressive rate, don't know how i would live with stiff linears.
Motorforce plates don't drop the car 1/2 an inch. Its more of a case of it not raising the car like other plates tend to do.

When is your car plowing? Is it on initial turn in or in the middle of the turn? I am by no means an expert such as Jay in this area but I think it would be best to try and resolve your current issue with tuning the shocks / springs / tires before moving to sways.
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:45 AM   #19
static
6th Gear Member

40psi rear, 35psi front (for better grip in the front), full camber on plates (3deg?), full soft in front, half turn from soft on rears. H&R sport springs, some eibach sways (16mm rear bar, not sure about front)

car starts plowing during turn initiation

can you guys sugest better springs for my application? i don't want it to sit too low, i like the H&R sports height (i will go 225s eventually).
Also i don't want to go GCs right now, as the car is daily. maybe when it's a dedicated.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #20
Mystikal

Quote:

Yes, inner tire. That is what I was referring to.

A 16mm rear sway is WAY stiffer than my stock 12mm, and I don't have any locking issues in auto-x. In all honestly with 225's up front is pretty hard to be sloppy enough with the brakes to lock up the fronts, but my much stiffer springs could also help that out (more balanced weight distribution under acceleration/braking/turning).

Have you ever been in a car with linear springs on the street, or are you just basing it on what you read on the internet?

@stancejay
Old 11-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #21
static
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
Yes, inner tire. That is what I was referring to.

A 16mm rear sway is WAY stiffer than my stock 12mm, and I don't have any locking issues in auto-x. In all honestly with 225's up front is pretty hard to be sloppy enough with the brakes to lock up the fronts, but my much stiffer springs could also help that out (more balanced weight distribution under acceleration/braking/turning).

Have you ever been in a car with linear springs on the street, or are you just basing it on what you read on the internet?
yes, i've been in Kev's car while he was autox'ing. Handling felt great, but it was only stock seats on his car that prevented my ass from busting, no such luck in sparcos.
I also witnessed you complaining about the stiff GC's on one occasion (but then you retracted the comment)

btw, what stiffness do you run on your konis with the GCs? (also what rates are you running right now?)
Old 11-09-2006, 04:56 PM   #22
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Skinny 205's (relative to power) and an overambitious turn-in are what I suspect are the main problems. You also shouldn't be turning while on the brakes, tires only have 100% grip potential, and the braking grip is sacrificed by increasing camber. Try keeping the car in a "neutral" phase while turning, which is the fine line between accelerating and decelerating. Play around with transfering weight around the car in an empty parking lot, try to understeer into a turn, then induce over steer to power out, but very gingerly. Learn exactly how the car reacts to all your specific inputs, it does wonders, most car setups are fine, just the driver needs some additional tuning. Two years ago i thought my car was the fault for all the understeer, and now I can make a MK. 4 2.Slow Jetta oversteer.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #23
Mystikal

Quote:
yes, i've been in Kev's car while he was autox'ing. Handling felt great, but it was only stock seats on his car that prevented my ass from busting, no such luck in sparcos.
I also witnessed you complaining about the stiff GC's on one occasion (but then you retracted the comment)

btw, what stiffness do you run on your konis with the GCs? (also what rates are you running right now?)
GC's are definitely different than linear, but not even close to uncomfortable. For someone who rocks no high beam and a duct-taped sunroof panel, I'd think you'd be hardcore enough anyways.

My Konis have been on full soft since I got this new pair last year (50k ago). They're now starting to oscillate a bit too much at 200+, so I'm gonna be turning them up. 375/475 rates, stock everything else.

@stancejay

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: