Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2006, 07:36 PM   #16
SickFinga
Moderator
 
SickFinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Location:
Posts: 16,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
First off, don't reference any of DA Motorsports number, they're full of s#it.

The problem with the S62 fitting into an e36 isn't the transmission, it's the following:
-steering column contacting the driver side head/exhaust
-the exhaust manifolds contacting the strut towers
-custom oil pan
-custom subframe/engine mounts

No BMW made e36 had a V8 in it (Hartge was the most notable tuner to do it)
The V8 GTR was an e46 chassis.
Aren't you forgetting Alpina B8???


And yeah, what Jordan said. HRE makes custom wheels only, they'll make it work without spacers or widebody.
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:18 PM   #17
thinair
moderationistismingly
 
thinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bradford, ON
Posts: 8,790
Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga
Aren't you forgetting Alpina B8???
No, I didn't forget it. It's an Alpina car, not a BMW
__________________
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:28 PM   #18
SickFinga
Moderator
 
SickFinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Location:
Posts: 16,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
No, I didn't forget it. It's an Alpina car, not a BMW

suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure


P.S. go on msn
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:47 AM   #19
JazzM
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Milton
Posts: 4,506
B8 info:

Like a big brother to the B3, the B8 is very unique because of its V8 engine. Based on the 4.4L from the 540i, it puts out 333 horsepower, 93 and 68 more horsepower than the BMW M3 and Alpina B3, respectively. 350 of its 470nm of torque are available at 1000rpm. Over 40 modifications to the engine compartment had to be made before the V8 fit in. Only 231 cars were built in its three year lifespan from 1995 to 1998 however 4 more detuned versions with a 4.0L engine and 313hp were also built and sold excusively in Japan. To achieve the bump in power and displacement over the stock engine, new engine blocks were cast by BMW for Alpina, higher compression Mahle pistons were added, the valve timing was changed, and a new exhaust system and new catalysts were fitted. A six-speed manual tranny made by Getrag is the only transmission available. Exterior differences include a new front spoiler, an optional rear spoiler, optional Alpina decals and 17in Alpina wheels. Given the huge increase in power it is very surprising to see the Alpina accelerate slower than a stock M3, but a conservative estimate may be to blame. If your main concern, however, is showing off your V8 3-series than the B8 4.6 is the car for you.

Specifications
Base Price, USD - Engine Type V8
Displacement, cc 4619 Power(DIN)@rpm 333@5700
Torque lb-ft@rpm 347@4900 Curb Weight, lb 3308
0-60 mph, sec 5.6 1/4 mile, sec -
60-0 mph, ft - 0-100mph, sec -
Top Speed, mph 175





T.
__________________
T.
JazzM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:26 PM   #20
windwagen
6th Gear Member
 
windwagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Markham
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzM
B8 info:

Like a big brother to the B3, the B8 is very unique because of its V8 engine. Based on the 4.4L from the 540i, it puts out 333 horsepower, 93 and 68 more horsepower than the BMW M3 and Alpina B3, respectively. 350 of its 470nm of torque are available at 1000rpm. Over 40 modifications to the engine compartment had to be made before the V8 fit in. Only 231 cars were built in its three year lifespan from 1995 to 1998 however 4 more detuned versions with a 4.0L engine and 313hp were also built and sold excusively in Japan. To achieve the bump in power and displacement over the stock engine, new engine blocks were cast by BMW for Alpina, higher compression Mahle pistons were added, the valve timing was changed, and a new exhaust system and new catalysts were fitted. A six-speed manual tranny made by Getrag is the only transmission available. Exterior differences include a new front spoiler, an optional rear spoiler, optional Alpina decals and 17in Alpina wheels. Given the huge increase in power it is very surprising to see the Alpina accelerate slower than a stock M3, but a conservative estimate may be to blame. If your main concern, however, is showing off your V8 3-series than the B8 4.6 is the car for you.

Specifications
Base Price, USD - Engine Type V8
Displacement, cc 4619 Power(DIN)@rpm 333@5700
Torque lb-ft@rpm 347@4900 Curb Weight, lb 3308
0-60 mph, sec 5.6 1/4 mile, sec -
60-0 mph, ft - 0-100mph, sec -
Top Speed, mph 175





T.
What's the 1/4 mi numbers? The 0-60 is comparable to a stock 540-6. Maybe it needs better traction.
__________________

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:17 AM   #21
gtrm3
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: toronto
Posts: 53
sorry guyz i was just away for some time. I beleive that i have asked this earlier and didnt get the reply for it. i wanted to know whether i could fit in an e46 m3 diff into an e36 with a euro carrier, as Scotch has mentioned that the e36 euro version and the e46 american version are in the same housing.

which according to my understanding means e36 can be fitted with an e46 m3 diff 3.91 i beleive with a euro diff carrier without mods.

Is it true?
gtrm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:56 AM   #22
thinair
moderationistismingly
 
thinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bradford, ON
Posts: 8,790
Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
I believe with the euro subframe you can use an e46 diff, but why go through all the work, the type 188 diff will handle quite a bit of power.
__________________
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:16 AM   #23
gtrm3
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: toronto
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
I believe with the euro subframe you can use an e46 diff, but why go through all the work, the type 188 diff will handle quite a bit of power.
i am going for an s54 conversion and if i can get that e46 diff in then i can have the dsc working and i would have the 3.91 with 300lbs savings over the e46.
gtrm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:18 PM   #24
Furious
BMW again.
 
Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,088
sweet that alpina is using the same strut tower bar as me wierchers ftw!
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:16 PM   #25
SickFinga
Moderator
 
SickFinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Location:
Posts: 16,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD
If you want to stay BMW and like the title suggests, want the closest thing to an M3 GTR, put in an S62. The GTR has a V8.

E36 GTR never used S62.
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:30 AM   #26
gtrm3
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: toronto
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga
E36 GTR never used S62.
i beleive that some has suggested that earlier but there is a lot of problems with that and i have covered that on the 1st page.

i want it as close to the gtr but also want to keep the install clean and with all the goodies like power steering power brakes and also the DSC contro which is why i want to put the diff in from an e46.

i just want to know if i cant put it in for sure or not with the e35 euro carrier, some one is bound to know that..
gtrm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:09 PM   #27
SickFinga
Moderator
 
SickFinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Location:
Posts: 16,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrm3
i beleive that some has suggested that earlier but there is a lot of problems with that and i have covered that on the 1st page.

i want it as close to the gtr but also want to keep the install clean and with all the goodies like power steering power brakes and also the DSC contro which is why i want to put the diff in from an e46.

i just want to know if i cant put it in for sure or not with the e35 euro carrier, some one is bound to know that..

It wasn't a response for you, it was for BigD.

It you want to make a GTR replica, you need S50 eurospec engine and not S54. Aso get a widebody kit.
http://www.mashaw.com/html/product_info_BMW.html
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:35 PM   #28
gtrm3
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: toronto
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga
It wasn't a response for you, it was for BigD.

It you want to make a GTR replica, you need S50 eurospec engine and not S54. Aso get a widebody kit.
http://www.mashaw.com/html/product_info_BMW.html
i already have put the widebody on and it is painted and ready to go. i have the wiring and then the engine etc to go in still.
gtrm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.