Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-30-2006, 03:36 PM   #16
E46er
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
Anyone know why only coupes have the bumper reflectors? What's BMW's reason for doing this?

Both Euro-spec sedans and coupes do not have the bumper reflectors. Just for some weird reason the north american spec coupes have them.
E46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:50 PM   #17
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46er
Both Euro-spec sedans and coupes do not have the bumper reflectors. Just for some weird reason the north american spec coupes have them.
Hmm... makes me even more curious. By law our headlamps and tail lights must have reflectors in them so parked cars can be seen at night on unlit roads. Which makes me wonder now... are the coupe and sedan headlamps different in design then? The coupes lacking the reflector inside?
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:51 PM   #18
E46er
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
Hmm... makes me even more curious. By law our headlamps and tail lights must have reflectors in them so parked cars can be seen at night on unlit roads. Which makes me wonder now... are the coupe and sedan headlamps different in design then? The coupes lacking the reflector inside?

Well for the euro spec bimmers, they have euro parking light inorder for them to be seen at night. But couple months ago Bliss showed me that our E46' have euro parking light. (Which I think defeats the whole purpose of having reflectors) So I have no clue why the reflectors are there?
E46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:15 PM   #19
Rameel
---DINAN POWERED---

Send a message via MSN to Rameel
60 bux is absoultly rediculous, if u go to Mississuaga Auto Centre located on 1800 Lakeshore road west ask for Rameel and ill order them for you charging u guys 25 bux even for 1. 45 for a pair of orange reflectors.

if u want them call 647 298 2566 (my cell) or 905 823 5535 (shop) and we can order them in for ya.

also we konw lots of guys who can get them painted any color for u cheap!
Rameel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:49 AM   #20
Airbalancer
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameel
60 bux is absoultly rediculous, if u go to Mississuaga Auto Centre located on 1800 Lakeshore road west ask for Rameel and ill order them for you charging u guys 25 bux even for 1. 45 for a pair of orange reflectors.

if u want them call 647 298 2566 (my cell) or 905 823 5535 (shop) and we can order them in for ya.

also we konw lots of guys who can get them painted any color for u cheap!
SO HOW MUCH FOR clear reflectors?
Airbalancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:38 AM   #21
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46er
Well for the euro spec bimmers, they have euro parking light inorder for them to be seen at night. But couple months ago Bliss showed me that our E46' have euro parking light. (Which I think defeats the whole purpose of having reflectors) So I have no clue why the reflectors are there?
No, I mean... by law, our vehicles must have front and back reflectors for when our car is PARKED (i.e. engine off, no one in the car.) So if you're travelling down an unlit road and the car is parked off to the side, you'll see the little reflectors shining back, and can avoid the car. You'll notice on some cars there is a square or some odd shape in the tail light which is a reflector. The front reflector must be viewable from both the front, and side of the vehicle.

Here are some examples. The reflector lights up with the rest of the brake lights in these examples, but if the car is off the reflectors will shine light back at oncoming drivers so they know there is a parked car on the side of the road.

On this old Accord you can see the reflector in the bottom outer part of the tail light:

Here is a Toyota Celica tail light... the reflector is above the reverse light.

On the Mazda-3 (and some other newer cars) the reflector is separate from the tail light.. in this case, it's located along the bottom part of the bumper.\

e36 front turn signals are entire reflectors...

e39's had to add reflectors on the edges of the headlights...

So I'm wondering if the e46 coupe did not meet these standards so they were forced to add the reflectors on? Are the e46 coupe turn signals different from sedan turn signals? How come the sedan turn signals met these specifications, and coupe's didn't? What's so different about the design?
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: