Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-02-2006, 07:44 PM   #16
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
50 dollar amp..... thats your problem, you get what you buy, sell it to some ricer and buy a good one. i payed about 150 for my last amp, lasted me 5 years, then i sold it with the car, and its still goin lol

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:34 AM   #17
Jase
twisted beyond reason

Send a message via MSN to Jase
The only other thing to add is.. watts are relative. It could say 1500w but i highly doubt it will consistanly put that out.Unless it is a true class D amp.Also that would be under perfect conditions , bridged at 2 or as little as 1/2 ohm which most amps cant keep up for long before blowing up.Furthermore the sensitivilty of your subs is important. Some are 90+. so you can run a smaller amp and get some good pound. . Running your subs in series (together) cuts the ohms of the amp. so 2 subs at 4 ohms running together is 2 ohms. easiest ways figure it is cut the ohms in half every time you add a connection or sub. If the Ohms are cut too far your amp will overheat. Just take it by a shop have them look at the connections and specs. they will probably try to get you to buy something so go to more than one. this way you can get a more honest answer.
Jase
Old 06-08-2006, 04:07 PM   #18
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Ya, $50 is the problem. The amp likely has a variable gain temp protection, so when it overheats, it automatically turns down the gain.

You are likely running the amp at 2 ohms, and its more than likely not supposed to run at below 4 ohms. When you hook two 4 ohm subs in parallel, the amps sees a 2 ohm load. If you hook them in series the amp would see 8 ohms.

You say you don't get enough bass when the subs are hooked up separately, so likely, you don't have enough power coming from the amp running at the recommended ohm level.

The lower the ohm number, the more the output. Literally, halve the number and you'll double the output. However, the lower the number, the closer it is to a dead short. So, a dead short is 0 ohms. 2 ohms is allowing too much current to flow in your amp, causing it to overheat.

Buy a used brand name amp that works and you'll likely be happy.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:17 AM   #19
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

^^ Thanks Jason. Ya it was a $50 used amp, needed it in a rush cause the last amp I had the 12V line let go from the amp and touched it so no more amp...This one is alright for now, just on hot days 30+ it seems to cut more, also if I do long drives cranking it up to Howard Stern(I have to turn down the bass when I listen to him) his voice is too deep lol. Well we'll see what happens...I might just try hooking the subs up individually..Also gonna screw around with the gain..

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day

Last edited by Nascar318is; 06-09-2006 at 09:19 AM.
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #20
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Ya, I'd try turning the gain down, hooking them up individually and / or flipping your seat down to get more sound in the mean time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: