Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-31-2006, 12:22 AM   #1
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
bought e39 - questions.

I bought my dad a 99 540i for his birthday. the old man could use a bit of luxury in his life. the car is still in my name though.

In either case, I have a few questions about this thing. I'm trying to figure out what packages this car has on it. It has the dual digital climate control, glass sunroof, rear armrest, cruise control, memory seats + mirrors + steering wheel (heated), factory cd changer, foglights, factory alarm w/ keyless, auto dimming rear view, etc. What packages were available in '99? (i.e. winter package, premium package, luxury package, sport package, etc.) How can I determine what packages this car has on it?

The front bucket seats are 16-way adjustable, (with the adjustable shoulder height too). I've only seen these in the 7-series... so I'm assuming this is a part of a luxury package?

Will updating the tails to LED style red/white throw a brake light code? Is it just plug'n'play?

What's required to update the headlights to the 2001+ models with angel eyes?

There are a few dead pixels on the dashboard OBC, what's the easiest way to repair this? I'll be doing it myself.

Anyone have the .pdf manual for the car?

Can the in-dash tape deck be swapped with an in-dash CD player? (there's a changer in the trunk already). Will this be plug'n'play?

Where is the best place to add an in-dash screen & GPS system? Is there a BMW stock option that I can buy and install for this? What's involved? Want to avoid aftermarket options if possible.

Where is the factory build sheet hidden on these cars?

No headlight washers? Was this ever an option?

Do the headlights/parking lights turn off after a period of time with the key out of the ignition?

I guess that's it for now...
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
sound like the car has the winter package & luxury package, if it has sport package you can tell by the suspension & wheels.

for the LED taillights you can buy them off Ebay, it's plugNplay, those LED lights come with 2 modules(one for each side) the module is installed in the spare wheel well, they are made by Hella & won't set off a code.

the front headlights are also plugNplay if you buy the Hella one's.

I have dead pixels to in my cluster & will also light to know how to fix it, let me know when you find out.

adding a in-dash screen would be nice but most of the installs I've seen requires you to remove the in-dash tape deck & OBC unit, so if you are willing to give up or relocate the OBC that is your only soulution.

headlamp washers is a option, but be glad you don't have them, I heard they brake or leak.

it's kinda hard for me to answer all your questions because the 99 model was the begining of a lot of changes to E39's.

Clarence

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:41 PM   #3
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Thanks Clarence. I bumped into Senad today too. Looks like the car has the 'business package' and 'luxury package'. There are chrome highlights on the car (i.e. window trim). It definitely does not have the sport package.. which is just as well, my dad would rather have a smooth ride.

The gauge cluster dead pixels seemed to have fixed itself out today. We'll see if it comes back. I know how to fix it on e36's, I'm guessing the process isn't much different on the e39.

I'd rather not relocate or remove the OBC. The tape deck has controls for bass/treble/balance/fader/etc. on it as well.. so I guess that won't be easy to replace either. Guess I'll have to look into another option. Where is the display on 2002 e39's with GPS?
Old 05-31-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
on the newer E39's the navi display is located where your tape deck & obc is located right now, I know, it sucks, I've been contemplating on what to do for some time now

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:14 PM   #5
myndgone
..... kLaSSe~1 .....

Send a message via MSN to myndgone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
Thanks Clarence. I bumped into Senad today too. Looks like the car has the 'business package' and 'luxury package'. There are chrome highlights on the car (i.e. window trim). It definitely does not have the sport package.. which is just as well, my dad would rather have a smooth ride.

The gauge cluster dead pixels seemed to have fixed itself out today. We'll see if it comes back. I know how to fix it on e36's, I'm guessing the process isn't much different on the e39.

I'd rather not relocate or remove the OBC. The tape deck has controls for bass/treble/balance/fader/etc. on it as well.. so I guess that won't be easy to replace either. Guess I'll have to look into another option. Where is the display on 2002 e39's with GPS?

car looks exactly the same as mine (well, when i first got it )...

dead pixels come on during hot summer days (mine do), cheapest i found was $350 and 2 days to fix it through Rocco, not sure how to do it myself
myndgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:44 PM   #6
Justin e36
---

Ah, that's horrible. My parents are going to go driving across Canada this summer... road trip. A GPS will be very handy. Don't want them to have to fiddle around with a laptop in the car. I'll have to figure something out... maybe an overhead flip-down screen or something?

Yup, the car has the exact same scheme, options, and color as myndgone's car... same year too! Not sure why, but on the strut tower the car is labelled as a "BMW Individual" color, meaning it was customized at the factory for the buyer... but I don't see anything custom about it?

The pixels come back in the heat... it's got to be the ribbon cable is making a bad contact to the circuit board. In the heat the transistive glue melts a bit and makes contacts... then it gets cold, and it loses contact again. Anyone have a spare/broken e39 gauge cluster I can experiment on? If I can fix it, I can do everyone's clusters.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:02 AM   #7
myndgone
..... kLaSSe~1 .....

Send a message via MSN to myndgone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
The pixels come back in the heat... it's got to be the ribbon cable is making a bad contact to the circuit board. In the heat the transistive glue melts a bit and makes contacts... then it gets cold, and it loses contact again. Anyone have a spare/broken e39 gauge cluster I can experiment on? If I can fix it, I can do everyone's clusters.
makes sense...

check eBay, I almost picked up one, it was floating around for $55US few weeks back, should have picked it up!!!
myndgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:11 PM   #8
zzzreyes
2nd Gear Member

hella.. in TO

where can I pick the HELLA angel eye set in TO?
zzzreyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: