Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-19-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
Bimmerized
In BMW We Trust!

Send a message via MSN to Bimmerized
Question about my engine?

I just rebuilt my engine head with new valves, springs, port and polish so the whole deal on the head.
I dont know what a port and polish is, and what does it do to the engine, does it make it run better, have more juice, or what?
I know that this is the most basic modification to the engine, but how many ponnies should this add?
With my engine (so the head) having new valves, and being ported and polished, can I say that my car as far as the engine performance concerns, is the same as a stock e36 328?
Bimmerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
mirek
6th Gear Member

the P&P descreases resistance of the airflow. however with a stock cam you're not gunna see much.
mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
Bruno
4th Gear Member

Should have put M3 cams and headers... you would have seen a nice increase in power.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Should have put M3 cams and headers... you would have seen a nice increase in power.
would m3 cams and headers just bolt right into a 328i engine? or would serious modification be needed.

as for the port and polish it wouldnt hurt, youd see a small gain if any but every little bit helps

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
S52 cams can directly replace the normal cams in our m52's, they're just hot cams. Although a lot of people recommend a rebuild, factory hot cams are never really that hot. Headers im not sure about, and a m50 manifold requires a peice of metal to go between the new manifold and the block, but it pretty much bolts right up too

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:07 PM   #6
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one
and a m50 manifold requires a peice of metal to go between the new manifold and the block, but it pretty much bolts right up too
An M50 exhaust manifold is heavier and flows worse then the stock 328 manifold, plus it's cast steel, and not tubular welded stainless steel, which the 328/3.2L M3 manifolds are.
M3 headers are identical to 328 headers
I have M3 cams in my car, definately a great mod.

Porting and polishing is generally a pretty useless mod unless you have a lot of previous work already done and you're trying to eek out that last 1-2hp, or you're boosting a lot of PSI or really high revs. The stock heads are pretty efficient and unless the head is in the hands of a BMW race engine builder, a generic port and polish jobs are known to produce less power and more air turbulence. The stock head design isn't an intake or exhaust bottleneck.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
nelson i meant the m50 intake manifold

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:36 AM   #8
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Then there is no piece of metal between the manifold and the head...... My manifold bolted right to the head with no issues.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:36 AM   #9
superman123
slushbox champion

ill be doing mine soon
superman123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: