Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-18-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
keke_167
2nd Gear Member

ebay and duty

i bought a couple of items from ebay and they charged me $50 for the blesteins shocks and i have a set of rims and a set of prings coming in. the springs are on their way so i have to pay duty for that too. but what can i do so that i dont have to pay duty or pay less duty for shpping these items. I heard that sending the package as a gift might help. any suggestions?
keke_167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:21 PM   #2
BMWF1

most of the time it doesn't....canada customs are major dicks with duty. You might get dinged like 500 for the rims. My friend ordered a set of M rims off ebay, shipped them to windsor paid 487 in duties and taxes when the arrived at his door, I told him to ship them to my place in michigan, but some people don't understand.

really you have 2 options.
1. Get a house/move to the states (probably not that easy)
2. Get a mail box/ups box in the states....they will charge you some cash for recieving such a big box and you will have to mount them over in the states and drive over on them.

for option 2, i would recommend bringing a friend, and when u do change your rims in the states you can toss 2 of the old rims in your trunk and 2 into his, so you can say if asked that you just bought 2 rims at a junk yard for another car you have or something....
Old 05-18-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

No real way to avoid duty/taxes. If it was shipped via USPS, sometimes Canada Post will forget to charg duty. In most cases, you pay though. $500 for the rims is just plain stupid ... how much were the rims???? The total will be about 21% duty and tax. Try to have the ender put a lower value on the customs declation if you can ... be aware though that if the shipment is lost or damaged, they'll only cover up to the declared value.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
Rampage
6th Gear Member

wow $500 in duties and taxes on a set of wheels!
Old 05-18-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
keke_167
2nd Gear Member

the wheels were $625US.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #6
keke_167
2nd Gear Member

also i think they charged $50 because the package didnt have any documents indicating the price. this 80 is based on that the product is worth $80. I didnt understand this because the price is low and the duty is too high. anyway, can i tell the shipper to put a document indicating the real price or at least i would go for $500us as the price for the wheels and wouldnt mind paying 21% of 500.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:24 PM   #7
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Here are a few proven methods which work for me:

1. DO NOT USE UPS use USPS or better yet Purolator or DHL instead (UPS is 'always' brutal with their brokerage fees. As if the duties an taxes weren't enough UPS feels the need to almost charge the same for themselves too!)
2. Ask the sender to undervalue the item if there is no insurance on the package (This is risky if you have insurance on the item as you will only be insured for the amount declared. Items under $20 will most likely be exempt from duties and taxes. I got my coilovers across the boarder by insuring them for $500 instead of the $1500 I paid. It was risky but when they got here I only had to pay $75 in duties, taxes and brokerage.)
3. Ask the sender to write "WARRANTY REPLACEMENT" on the box and packing slip (50% success rate usually)
4. Ask the sender to mail you the invoice seperately and not to include it anywhere on or within the package (I always do this. If there is no record that an actual purchase was made, then usually customs will think no funds were exchanged Vortech did this when they sent me my supercharger and I got it duty/tax/brokerage free! )
5. Ask the sender to write in the description that the item is USED. (I had 150 brand new vinyl records sent to me duty free from the UK cause it was believable that they were ''old records'' lol.)

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Last edited by djcontra; 05-18-2006 at 08:26 PM.
djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:31 PM   #8
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Good advice in the previous post, except the USED part ... Canada feels they can still charge tax on used items, and if you can't provide a used price, they'll charge on the full value of the item. It's pretty fcukin ridiculous, but the feds get their cash in most cases. It's really the brokarage fees charged by UPS that must be avoided.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #9
UltimateDriv
Bimmerhead

Send a message via AIM to UltimateDriv Send a message via Yahoo to UltimateDriv
you can all send your stuff to me, then i'll send it to you as a gift
UltimateDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:05 PM   #10
Hugo
2nd Gear Member

Gift is no good, as a gift is not supposed to be worth more than 60$. Any gift over that will be taxed as is.

If you say something is worth 59$, it's fine, but you can,t insure it for more than that. Big risk for a supercharger.

The «warranty replacement» bit works every time.
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:40 PM   #11
keke_167
2nd Gear Member

actually the taxes and duty are ok but the big part of it is the brokage fee which i dont know what it is. I asked somebody from costums canada and she said that they will tax anything and everything. and she also said the wheels for $500 would only cost about $60 in taxes and duty but i think the brokage fee is the ultimate price that they charge. what is that anyway?
Old 05-19-2006, 11:25 PM   #12
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keke_167
actually the taxes and duty are ok but the big part of it is the brokage fee which i dont know what it is. I asked somebody from costums canada and she said that they will tax anything and everything. and she also said the wheels for $500 would only cost about $60 in taxes and duty but i think the brokage fee is the ultimate price that they charge. what is that anyway?

It's a fee that UPS charges for the favour of clearing customs on your behalf ... they can charge whatever they want. This is why UPS should be avoided at all cost. Other companies (FedEx, etc) also do it, but it's usually less than UPS.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:55 PM   #13
Nick325
1st Gear Newbie

i use ebay for everything on my car and this is what ive learned. use usps as much as possible and ask the shipper to say the item if over 100$ to say its only worth that. and if u ever have to use ups ask the shipper to say its a warranty return and same if over 100$. and yes iver heard about being nailed for duties by ups my friend paid 550$ in duties for a set 19"rims and tires from the states.
Nick325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: