Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Z series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-18-2006, 12:05 AM   #1
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Send a message via Skype™ to crusher
TC Kline Smart Coil-over Review

Hey Guys..

We installed the suspension last Friday till Saturday evening. Most of the time was wasted taking a part the rear panels which basically took 3 hours. Rear was pretty easy since me and my dad have installed JT Design RSM on our old e36 m3 the coupe was pretty much the same. The first front took awhile to install (4 hours) but after the first one we know what to do so the other side took 30 minutes to install. Spent another hour adjusting the ride height on the fronts and it ended up as 24 front / 25 rear all sides which is like Stock setup squating.. After a couple of posts from bimmerforums I found out that some of the guys with the same setup took out the rear spring adjuster and put in 5mm pads to lower the ride hight to 23inc at the rear.. After another hour all said and done all corner of the coupe are now 23inc.. I like the drop not too slammed not to high. I will keep this setup for now as suggested by Pete from TC Kline.

The ride was VERY HARSH.. I found out that I had all corners set to FULL FIRM which basically almost break my back in the process.. My GF wasn't impressed since we drove for nearly 100km that day LOL.. But the squat, dive and uneasiness when cornering is gone, the coupe now feels like a go-cart on rails Setting the shocks to default setting gives you close to Stock ride bounce which for me is very good. The ride is not harsh but you will notice when you go over bumps it will bounce somewhat hard. I will play around with the adjustability of the shocks... from what I found out some guys will do 1 1/2 turns firm.

I do notice some negative camber on the front which is ok. Hopefully my next few mods will be Racing Dynamics adjustable swaybars and the adjustable camber plates.

This mod I rate 9/10

-1 for non adjustablility at the rear.

links:
http://www.davidparis.org/coupe/hrcoilovers.html

Do I recommened this for daily driving? Well if you see some autox and track time this is the way to go otherwise just get the regular shocks/springs upgrade or keep your stock suspension

Jeff

Sold/Traded-in
2006 M5
2003 M3
2003 Civic Si
2000 M Coupe
1999 M3
1999 323i
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

You didn't notice the rear negative camber? The rear will slant in much faster than the front (semi-trailing arm design)

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:00 AM   #3
crusher
OMGHI2U2

still no rear negative camber.. I will have to check later on.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:32 AM   #4
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Just buy shorter rear springs. $100-150 for the pair, then you can adjust. I've probably switched my GC springs around 5 times by now.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Jay.. TC have the shorty springs but I talked to their suspension guy and he told me the drop is fine with my setup right now. Anything lower he wouldn't recommened. I'm going to drive this for awhile and see how it goes, I have it set to the softest setting right now for daily driving and on the autox i'll test the full firm hehe. BTW, where did you get your springs? I might get a pair for my rears.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:59 PM   #6
JazzM
6th Gear Member

Great job. Glad to hear that the install went well. Did you end up getting Mike to put it in for you?

Unfortntly in order to adjust the rear rebound on the shock you have to take the shock out based on what I recall. Mine is set at the middle in the rear and almost 1/4 turn from full soft on the front. I have 500# fronts and 700# rear springs, adustable camber plates and thicker sway bar. Otherwise our setup is identical.

T.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #7
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Tom..

No, I ended up installing it with my Dad.. Took a good two days to properly do it specially the rear of the coupe is a bitch to take apart. Only hard part is putting the fronts together since I have to spend time compressing the springs and then bolt them up. I still haven't put the rear panels back since i'm going to be working on the two panels to fabricate some holes for the shock adjustments like the ones I saw at bimmerforums.. So I don't have to take the panels out during autox or track days.

I saw the guide for the rear shocks, didn't bother adjusting it. So basically if I rotate the rear shocks I will get the drop but will loose rebound? It think if I rotate that it will be much harsher.. I kind of like the current setup right now for daily driving full soft.

I find too much body roll when cornering so I'm going to be changing the swaybars when I get some $$$. As for the camber plates, are you getting a different plates soon?

Jeff

EDIT: Do you recommened getting the Z3 RSM reinforcement plates?

Last edited by crusher; 05-19-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #8
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Here's my pictures..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of DSC_0041.JPG (197.5 KB, 219 views)
Old 05-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #9
crusher
OMGHI2U2

The two sides
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of DSC_0042.JPG (119.6 KB, 204 views)
Old 05-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #10
crusher
OMGHI2U2

rears
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of DSC_0043.JPG (141.8 KB, 212 views)
Old 05-19-2006, 07:17 PM   #11
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

sweet mcoupe !!!!
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:22 PM   #12
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman87
sweet mcoupe !!!!
thanks man
Old 05-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #13
crusher
OMGHI2U2

For reference.. Here's my coupe last fall with the 4x4 lift heheh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winter1.jpg (36.0 KB, 104 views)
Old 05-21-2006, 12:10 AM   #14
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Jeff, there are multiple companies that make ID springs for coilovers. I personally went with Eibach ERS (because they match the front pair, GC uses this spring), but H&R and others make them too. Any local shop can order them, of course.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: