Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-20-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
Vitya
BYMEP

Send a message via ICQ to Vitya Send a message via MSN to Vitya
Help

Hey guys, wow yesterday was a bad day 2 things broke in my car. 1st the passenger windqw I was pressing button rolling it down, it goes halfway then I hear a snap and it falls and turns up (one of the little plastic sliders broke) but I tore off the panel and temporarally fixed that. So... few hours later I go back to car start it up no problem goto my friend's house, I parked and I go to turn off the key I hear a snap and the steering wheel didnt lock like it always does, and the ignition went all loose and wouldnt dissengage, I mean the car shut off but the electrical was still engaged. Im really not too sure what it could be, maybe something jammed? Im a bit concerned tho, I had to dissconnect the battery and leave her there. Any ideas? thanks
Vitya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
yep, first problem was the regulator bushing. new one is around $1.75 from the dealer, remember to grease it up good when installing.

second problem, we need more information. does the key go in the ignition still and the key just turns and turns without doing anything, or does is the ignition just always on?

If the former, then the snap ring broke. If the second problem, then the engagement switch broke. (Soldo on this forum has that problem too.)
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
Vitya
BYMEP

Send a message via ICQ to Vitya Send a message via MSN to Vitya
yeah, when I put the key in it turns around loosely and doesnt spring back. I was thinking maybe its jammed or something? Also I was fiddle around with the steering wheel then the key wouldnt go in at all, then I turned the wheel some more and it went in, but then there was no resistance when turning the key all the way (like to start it) I mean, before it would spring back, now after that its completely messed... and its stuck out in the country at my buddy's house too about 5km out the city
Vitya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
there's a plastic flex ring around the ignition that is designed to break under pressure. It's designed so if someone tried to force the igntion with say, a flathead screwdriver, the ring would break and render the mechanism useless. Unfortunately sometimes it breaks anyway. You can pay an arm and a leg and get it repaired by the dealer, or go to a scrapyard and get another ignition. (note that automatic and manual ignition switches are different)

In the meanwhile, you'll have to hotwire your car to get it started and bring her home.

1. Disconnect your battery.

2. Remove the kickpanel under the steering wheel.

3. Find the THICK green (almost a neon green) wire, and the thick Yellow wire with a black stripe. (On some e36's this is another green wire with a black stripe.) This wires are easily differentiated from the other wires as they're much thicker.

4. trim some of the casing off these wires without cutting the wires themselves. You will have to touch these wires to fire up your ignition. If the wires can not reach each other you'll need to get another wire to bridge the two, make sure it's fairly thick wire as well. A thin wire (i.e. speaker wire) is not thick enough and will simply overheat and melt.

5. Make sure the wires are not touching and reconnect your battery.

6. Your ignition should be on. (all lights working, climate control, stereo, etc.)

7. Touch the two wires. There is a lot of voltage here, so be careful but also make sure the contact is strong. Wear thick padded gloves if you're worried. As the wires touch, the starter will spin starting the car. As soon as the engine has started, disconnect the wires. (If you keep them touching your starter will continue to crank and burn out soon after.) Make sure to tape up the wires before driving away.

Good luck...

EDIT: here's a pic of the wires cut with electrical tape on the end. again, you don't want to cut your wires.. just tap into them.

green and yellow with a black stripe (black stripe can't bee seen from this angle):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wires.jpg (98.3 KB, 30 views)
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: