Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-15-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
j0nblayz
3rd Gear Member

belt replacing help

hey guys, i bought an ac belt and main belt, and was trying to replace it today. Read the DIY and the service manual, seemed pretty easy, so i take off the fan, and tried removing the main belt first. I got a 15mm socket, and released the tension on the main belt, but it wont release any tension. I removed the 15mm tensioner bolt totally and still the belt was on there tight as hell. In the manuals and diy, all it said was to loosen the tensioner bolt and the belt should come off. Do i have to totally remove the bolt? i dont get how this works. Mines a 1994, 325i. please help, need to replace the belt soon as possible, its cracking!!
Old 05-16-2006, 12:03 AM   #2
j0nblayz
3rd Gear Member

actually the more weird part is that in the manual and also in the diy, it says the main drive tensionor is using a 8mm allen key, mines not 8mm, its actually a 15mm bolt, that normal? i think the ac is a 8mm socket, but i haven't tried the ac yet. please help, really wanna get this done with. thanx
Old 05-16-2006, 12:15 AM   #3
j0nblayz
3rd Gear Member

read it closer, i just realized it said to crank it clockwise, how much pressure should be applied to loosen the tension?
Old 05-16-2006, 12:18 AM   #4
$500bimmer
6th Gear Member

the bolt shouldnt losen...more the tensioner as far as u need it to go untill the belt comes off....and same thing when ur putting it back on...

$500bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:54 PM   #5
superman123
slushbox champion

hahaha...sorry but u didnt need to take the fan off ...and u have to pull the tentioner towards the passenger side if your underneath the car and the belt would loosen up ...(the main tentioner bolt stays on )if bolt starts to loosen your going the wrong way
quick tip to take the belt off use a knife.. saves time
superman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:46 AM   #6
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

^^ Was going to say the same, changed 2 belts last year.

Place the belt over one fan blade, then turn the fan and slip the belt over the 2nd blade...etc Keep doing that untill all of the belt is past the blades. Becareful not to put to much pressure or get the belt tangled in the blades, you don't want them to crack, or break...

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #7
j0nblayz
3rd Gear Member

actually i had to take off the fan. My car is too low now for my jack to go under. And plus the engine was way too hot to work on, so by removing the fan i had more room so i dont get burnt. It actually was a real easy job. Taking the fan off was the most time consuming, rest was just too easy. I really need to buy a new jack, the one i was using is too high. Next job now is to replace the brakes, its squealing like crazy.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:07 AM   #8
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

I hear ya man, I have to drive onto planks of wood to get a jack under and I don't have those plastic pads for the jack to go under.

Brakes are easy to do on those cars, all pads and Disc's. Take a 12 pack and an afternoon and do them. Did your wear sensor come on? Those are around $30 each at the dealer, all you need is 2 of them if they are both wore out.

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #9
j0nblayz
3rd Gear Member

i dont plan on replacing my sensors. dont need them, i'll know when i need new pads. Just gonna do the fronts tonight. Rear doesn't look bad, and plus 70% of braking is in the front anyways. What rotors and pad do you guys recommend?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: