Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #1
Fre D
FuPa!!

can someone find a harness bar??

i have a 94 325i sedan. i got some sparco seats for her and now i wants a 4 point harness.. i need the harness bar that goes behind the seats. nobody (dlr or store wise) has it for a 4 door. just 2 door. does anyone know where i can find one??
Fre D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
The b-pillars on the 4 door are a lot further forward then the coupe. If you really want to run the harness, consider at least a 4-pt bolt in cage with a crossbar
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #3
Fre D
FuPa!!

wouldnt that interfere with the rear passengers?? no too big on the cage's either... ill check it out though. thanx
Old 05-16-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

yeah, pretty much once you do that you can't really get into the rear seats, even with the 4 doors. I remember talking to a guy at Mosport who had a 4pt cage in his M3/4. Any even if you could get people back there, it's not safe with all the exposed metal tubing.

Then again 'technically' you shouldn't be on public streets with a harness on anyway. It's illegal, and if you roll over your head has no where to go when the roof caves in. That said, legality aside a half cage, 1pc seats and harnesses are in my future plans .
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 05-16-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
Fre D
FuPa!!

ill see if i can come up with something. i know theres some that bold on to the bottom bolts of the seat.. but i dont think i like that. would have been nice if the harness bar was avail.... how about making one?? is that recomended??
Old 05-16-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
sthomas
BMWCC 4928, BMWCCA 349578

Check out the Schroth belts. DOT approved. I use them at the track and they are much better than stock (even with the CG lock). Not as good as a true 5/ point harness - but you need a cage for those.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

The Schroth belts are DOT approved, but still not street legal in many states, or in Canada. They still hold you upright in the event of a rollover, and you should still used a roll bar with them to avoid spinal compression, especially if you're tall.

I think I have seen harness bars in the past for the sedan. They were U shaped and mounted to the upper seatbelt anchors, then there was a long link on either end which tied to the lower out seat belt anchor. It held the bar out behind the seats, although it still sort of got in the way of rear passengers, and it would be deadly for a forehead to smash into it.

edit: found one, a Spacro for the sedan, $400US - http://www.racerwheel.com/s89-30008.html
Old 05-17-2006, 11:10 AM   #8
Fre D
FuPa!!

hey dude's thanx for the info.. the one for racerwheel is just for the coup. not sedan. ive tried these guys already. took them about 3 weeks to tell me that they dont have it for the sedan. they told me that sparco discontinued it for the sedan because it was hardly sold since many people had the coup. but thanx again for the updates. ill keep looking for my harness bar.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: