Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #31
BennyL
7th Gear Member

guys, i need to understand how our speakers are set up...

i've been looking for a deck, and I notice that all deck always show a built-in amp with 4x50 watt or some shit like that. anyways, its always 4x something RMS, like 15 or 17 or 18 or 23.

but our cars have a built-in amp for the speakers... so what kind of deck do i need? how many pre-outs do I need, if I wanna run a sub+amp? would I need 2 pre-outs? 1 for each amp?

bah, I hate car audio

**EDIT**

I think I found a deck that will look good in the E36 dash, and should work with the stock sound system + sub

someone please confirm: LINK

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.

Last edited by BennyL; 04-24-2006 at 02:36 PM.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:05 PM   #32
BennyL
7th Gear Member

anybody?

Old 04-25-2006, 07:44 PM   #33
1BADBMR
6th Gear Member

Hey benny how it going man?

If you want a nice clean Deck without all the fancy stuff, Alpine is your best bet. They are great decks and also very powerful.
Clairion isn't too bad either. I like the fact that it has a hard-drive built into the deck so you can record CD's on the spot. Plus it has hundreds of colour options to match your interior.
Did u check out that site I was telling you about???
here it is anyways jus incase u missed it.
www.crutchfield.com

Alvin
04 Honda Civic (Beater)
93 318i (SOLD)
1BADBMR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:25 AM   #34
BennyL
7th Gear Member

Hey Alvin,

Ya man. I actually found that Clarion deck at crutchfield.

I just wanna know from these bimmer fanatics on here if the deck I posted will work.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:03 PM   #35
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim321go
no offence but cerwin vega is right next to lightning audio, and sony when it comes to car audio.

wow you obviously dont know audio equipment. Cerwin vega is AMAZING, i have been using them for years in my home and car, and they by far out perform any other speaker ive ever seen.

they hit hard, clean and i have yet to ever blow one or even have the slightest problem

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:04 PM   #36
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyL
Hey Alvin,

Ya man. I actually found that Clarion deck at crutchfield.

I just wanna know from these bimmer fanatics on here if the deck I posted will work.

watch out for crutchfield, they over price all thier items. you can get the same radios for cheaper elsewhere like 90% if the time.

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:48 PM   #37
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
and lightning audio's striker isn't that bad, its all rockford fosgate components inside

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:39 PM   #38
vadim321go
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyL
guys, i need to understand how our speakers are set up...

i've been looking for a deck, and I notice that all deck always show a built-in amp with 4x50 watt or some shit like that. anyways, its always 4x something RMS, like 15 or 17 or 18 or 23.

but our cars have a built-in amp for the speakers... so what kind of deck do i need? how many pre-outs do I need, if I wanna run a sub+amp? would I need 2 pre-outs? 1 for each amp?
regarding rms, u want the highest rating possible. dont even look at decks which have below 17 rms rating, they are too weak. if u find a 23 grab it, but the higher the rms the mor expensive it is. when installing teh deck ur gonna need 2 things, a wire harness and a radio adapter. the radio plug in bmw's is not standard so in order for u to get radio ur gonna have to buy it. as for the amp, ur gonna have to bypass it
Old 04-29-2006, 11:33 PM   #39
Skeezix
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim321go
regarding rms, u want the highest rating possible. dont even look at decks which have below 17 rms rating, they are too weak. if u find a 23 grab it, but the higher the rms the mor expensive it is. when installing teh deck ur gonna need 2 things, a wire harness and a radio adapter. the radio plug in bmw's is not standard so in order for u to get radio ur gonna have to buy it. as for the amp, ur gonna have to bypass it
I installed my Alpine head unit last week and didn't bypass the amp and it works.(At least I don't think I bypassed it) I was having troubles at first of no sound coming out until I hooked up the last blue wire left on the harness adapter, to my Remote Turn On wire on the head unit(I think that's what it's called, it turns on the amp, aftermarket or factory). And that did the trick and so far so good. And the other part you need is the radio antenna adapter.

So to answer your question, if the head unit has a Remote Turn On or Amp Turn On wire, it'll work.
Skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:56 PM   #40
BennyL
7th Gear Member

i see

well, im still confused... can someone look at the link i posted above, for that clarion deck. tell me if its good, and if it will be compatible with my stock system. and i wanna know if it can work my stock CD changer...

Old 05-02-2006, 05:07 AM   #41
BoneThug
1st Gear Newbie

by the by, if you want any decent bass, one 10' siub will not do it. nor will one 12. double up. its a must.
BoneThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:26 PM   #42
johnnybad1
1st Gear Newbie

My 97 328i vert install

I just finished the first phase of my install in my 97 vert and it wasn't what I'd call easy. I did the install myself. My car has the rollover protection system behind the rear seats and the base stereo (not the Harmon Kardon system). Here is the OEM setup

- 15 watt per channel amp mounted behind the rear passenger seat.
- 5.25" midrange in the kickpanels
- 4" mids and 1" tweeters in the front doors and same in the rear side panels.
- CD Changer in trunk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
My new setup
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-stock head unit.

- 5.25 Diamond audio components with the midrange in the kicks and the tweeters in the front door. Not using the front OEM midrange. Tweeters fit perfectly in the stock location.

- 5.25 midrange in rear side panels. Not using rear tweeters.

- Diamond Audio crossovers mounted at the stock amp location.

- Alpine 4 channel amp in the trunk mounted on the floor of the drivers side.

- 1 farad cap mounted under the trunk rail next to the battery.

Note that to use the stock head unit you either have to use line level converters to convert the speaker level output from the head unit or do some custom wiring to the highlevel molex connector input if your amp has a high level input capability. In my case I wired up a molex for my Alpine V12 series amp.

System sounds good for a convertible. The key to a convertible is you need lots of volume for top down driving. I'd say about 400 watts for your front/rear speakers is miniumum then a second amp for a sub latter on.

As a second step I'm going to build a custom fiberglass box where the skipass is and put in a 10" sub and mono amp.

You'll need a wiring diagram before you rip out your factory amp to identify what is what with all the wiring.

Now I'm pissing around with alternator whine. Need to ground the stock head unit differently and there seems to be a special bloody tool that is needed to remove the head unit.

No - this isn't easy. If you have the cash get a pro to do it.

By the way - the existing speakers are designed to sound decent at very low power levels. If you install a more powerfull amp the stock speakers sound like shit - I ran the OEM setup on the 400 watt alpine and it sounded gawd awful. Remeber, the OEM paper cone speakers with tiny little magnets are desiged for only 15 watts RMS.

As far as a subwoofer, get something with good sound quality like an OZ or Image Dynamics (in my opinion).

Here is a link to the Diamond audio components I got from ebay. These are sort of the low-end of the high-end and they sound great - not as "bright" or "harsh" as the MB Quart. The diamonds have silk tweeters which are smoother than the metal tweets used in the MBQ's. (again my opinion of course.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIAMOND-AUDIO-S5...ayphotohosting

or search item number: 9722390718

Good luck man - you'll need about 20 - 30 hours at least to do it right and use dynomat for sure makes a big difference since the kick panel grills rattle like shit without it.
johnnybad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: