Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-28-2006, 01:41 AM   #1
drakness
2nd Gear Member

Power Door Lock Actuators

Please Help Me I Need Some Help On How To Replace My Lf And Rr Door Lock Actuator. Please Respond
drakness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:56 AM   #2
Soldo
6th Gear Member

GOOD LUCK!!

This is a bitch to do..... its really tough to explain over the net, but basically you take apart the door, and have a good light source in the door to see what your doing. Make sure you unlatch the metal hook thats holding the door handle and all that...... again, this is a HUGE pain in the ass to do!
Old 04-28-2006, 02:06 AM   #3
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
It takes around 20-30 minutes to do. If you have big hands, or are not too mechanically inclined then you're better off removing the door from the car and taking it in the house with a bright lighting source, and lay it on the floor to do it. Removing your door is just the two hinges, and the wire harness. Make sure the window is up when you take the door off the car if you choose to go this route.

You will need a T20 and T27 torx wrench, flathead screwdriver, and needlenose plyers.

- Remove your door panel and vapour barrier.

- Remove the interior door handle (torx screw), and the metal rod.

- Remove the locking assembly on the door. (3x T27 torx screws). This locking assembly is the part that locks/latches on to the frame of the car. With this removed you can see the actuator mechanism inside the door.

- Now you can look into the hole where the locking mechanism has been removed, and remove the retaining clip for the actuator from inside the door with a flathead screwdriver. The retaining clip is black, and it's on the outer side of the actuator. (left on the drivers side, right on the passenger side.)

- Remove the actuator with a pair of needlenose. Pry the plug off the blue part of the actuator.

- Installation is the reverse of removal.

*Make sure to grease up the new actuator with lithium grease before installing. Test it out a few times before putting the door back together.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:10 AM   #4
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Justin, your knowledge of BMW's is great, but i HATE YOU...... hehehe, you always make these things seem a hundered times easier then they actually are!

I mean it'd only take me 20-30 mins to do now that i've done a few times, but when i first started, it was a PITA, took forever, and i was terrified of braking some of those feeble plastic peices!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
drakness
2nd Gear Member

Thank For The Help I Just Got Around To Putting Them In.
drakness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #6
RMKBMW
2nd Gear Member

Location: Ottawa, Toronto, Barrie, Halifax, Victoria, St. Jean.. etc
If i get a nice day this weekend i'm going to replace my faulty actuators aswell.. Thanks for the instructions... maybe i'll try a DIY for this while i'm doing it.
RMKBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #7
RMKBMW
2nd Gear Member

Little more help needed. I tried to take the door pannel off but i'm not sure where to start. J ust dont want to start pulling things off espically with an airbag in there. A little help would be great.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:24 PM   #8
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Disconnect your battery, since you have an airbag.

1. unscrew the door lock pin (sedan only)
2. remove the two screw covers under the grab handle.
3. unscrew the two allen screws under the grab hanle.
4. remove the plastic trim around the door pull handle. To remove this pull the handle while pushing the cover / trim towards the front of the vehicle.
5. pry out the remote mirror switch and unplug the harness. (easier to do this now.)

Now the whole door unclips, pry around the entire door panel gently. It will unclip all around. There are plugs for the speakers, and the ABS bag which will need to be removed.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #9
RMKBMW
2nd Gear Member

Thanks justin, I have the manual but its just not as clear as you are.... Ever think of writing your own?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: