Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-04-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
Andy E34

Send a message via MSN to Andy E34
Angry HELP, Ignition switch is on its way out

At first the ignition seemed a bit stickey...now (a few weeks later) we have to crank the steering wheel back and forth to get the key to turn in the ignition...4 me, I deal with it...my wife...not so much! Just got back in from the driveway to help my wife start the car...yea this is gonna work
I remember a reference to steering lock delete or ignition delete or push button start..., or something like that due to regular failures of the key switch...and a min. $400.00 repair???...so I did a search and could not find a DIY post.
Justin I know you have a push button start, is that for ignition switch reasons or because its cool to have?
Anybody else have this problem & how did you fix it?
Andy E34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:16 PM   #2
Soldo
6th Gear Member

I have a push start in my car, cause one day i turned my car off, pulled the key out, but the motor was still running. The car was stuck in the ON position, so now i run it off a push start. Its a big pain in my ass, and i still need to put the key in the ignition in order for the car to start!

Not worth it, try to get it fixed properly!
Old 05-05-2006, 12:37 AM   #3
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Andy... the ignition tumblers were defective from 92-94. They would stick on the ignition position even after the car has started, which will quickly burn out your starter.

You'll need a new ignition lock, which unfortunately means a different key too. (unless you go through the dealer). I have replaced my ignition and door locks, not because my old ones were broken... only because I don't want my keys to match my VIN. Never know who made a copy in the past.

I do have a lighted start engine button as well, it's not a hassle at all for me... I find it convenient actually. But I can still start the car using the traditional method as well. (just in case something goes wrong with my wiring, I won't be left stranded). I wired up the push button start partially because I know my 92 ignition is defective, and it was sticking.. and partially because it's a nice little mod to have.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:59 AM   #4
Soldo
6th Gear Member

I've always wanted a push button, but the fact that my car is STUCK in the on position and the car thinks the key is in the ignition at all times is a real pain in the ass..... as soon as you open the door, it begins to chime!!
Old 05-05-2006, 08:19 AM   #5
Andy E34

Send a message via MSN to Andy E34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldo
I've always wanted a push button, but the fact that my car is STUCK in the on position and the car thinks the key is in the ignition at all times is a real pain in the ass..... as soon as you open the door, it begins to chime!!
Yep...that chime is driving me crazy!!!
Andy E34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: