Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-02-2006, 12:32 AM   #1
fas1eddy
1st Gear Newbie

New front sway bar links.

Put in new sway bar links last night and i can't believe the difference.
My car used to "fall over" when cornering, then take a set and hold on with major body lean. Now, turn in is much crisper and body lean is just enough to let you know you're hauling ass.

The best thing is the ride also has improved slightly and i think the ride height has increased slightly. I have Bavauto springs and the drop was more than i expected but the new links seem to have raised it a little.

Best $50 upgrade yet.
fas1eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
fletch
M50B20 Engine

Send a message via MSN to fletch
how long did that take you to replace? just the front how 'bout the rear? anyways thanks for info!!
fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Wouldn't really call this a mod.. but yes, definiately worth doing... had to do mine last year. They were torn to shreds after driving the previous winter on a bent front wheel causing a lot of vibrations. Helped the handling ten-fold.

Fletch - usually it's the front ones that go I find from regular driving, the rear ones usually just go from old age I think... getting old, rubber dry-rots and begins to crack. It takes around 20-30 minutes to do if you don't have a hoist.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

How does swapping these out make a handling difference? Do you mean to some aftermarket ones? Unless they are actually broken or seized, I just can't see how it make a difference.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:22 AM   #5
fas1eddy
1st Gear Newbie

When they are as worn as mine were it's like the sway bars were disconnected. The sway bar links connect the bars to the control arm and on my car there was so much play in the links, i don't think the sway bars really ever came into play until the car was at a severe lean. The parts i used were Ebay specials $29 US + shipping. I was thinking about upgrading my sway bars but for street use and the occasional autocross, this setup will do me fine.
Justin thanks for the tip and you're right its not a mod just an R&R.
fas1eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:06 AM   #6
Furious
BMW again.

are there any upgraded ones for our car? i woulld like to know as i want to replace mine next week.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: