Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-27-2006, 12:23 AM   #1
skorpion
1st Gear Newbie

Trunk lock problem

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my trunk lock, in that it simply doesn't work anymore. The worst is that it's stuck in the locked mode, and so I can't open my trunk anymore. Does anybody know how i can solve this problem myself, without having to pay a visit to the oh-so-expensive dealearship?

Thanks,
Ion
skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:49 AM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
The actuator is probably dead.

The first thing to do is make sure the fuse that controls the trunk lock actuator didn't blow... if it is fine, then you'll have to get a master key from the dealership, which can open the trunk using the key.

or do you already have the trunk lock key for your car?
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:00 AM   #3
Jari
4th Gear Member

I had to go in from behind my back seats. Trouble was there was nowhere to go in from, except for behind the rear handrest was a knock out (presumable for the ski bag option) and after knocking it out I was able to remove the trunk lid lining enough to yank on the rod that opens the lock. Actually.. I couldnt do it. I had to send my 10 yr old daughter in and she got the trunk open. ( we practised on a spare trunk lid in my garage )
Jari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:25 AM   #4
skorpion
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
The actuator is probably dead.

The first thing to do is make sure the fuse that controls the trunk lock actuator didn't blow... if it is fine, then you'll have to get a master key from the dealership, which can open the trunk using the key.

or do you already have the trunk lock key for your car?
Well, here's where things get tricky. The trunk lid on my car is not the original one; I had to change it since it was rusty. The new trunk lid came with its own lock (the guy who installed the lid told me that the old lock would not work on the new lid), for which i do not have the key. So the only way I can open the trunk is using the remote control -- they really should've had a remote trunk release button in there!!
Old 04-27-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpion
Well, here's where things get tricky. The trunk lid on my car is not the original one; I had to change it since it was rusty. The new trunk lid came with its own lock (the guy who installed the lid told me that the old lock would not work on the new lid), for which i do not have the key. So the only way I can open the trunk is using the remote control -- they really should've had a remote trunk release button in there!!
Gotcha. The old lock will work fine, but it's a pain in the butt to swap it over. Sounds like one of the connections is gone.

Do you have rear folding seats, or a ski bag? Was the lock working with the alarm previously, and just stopped? Do the other locks still work with the remote? If you look at the lockhole, what position is it in? (perfectly vertical? 1 O'Clock, or 3 O'Clock?) Also, is the button for the trunk lock (on the trunk itself) stuck in?

The problem either is the lock actuator, or a more common BMW problem, the wire broke. On the left side of your trunk there is a wire loom that runs up into the trunk lid... the wires in here can break over time causing all sorts of weird problems. If the loom wasn't put back in place properly when the lid was changed, it's possible that the wires broke from stress.

In either case, you'll have to go into the trunk or have someone else go into the trunk and unlatch it manually. If not, looks like this is a problem the dealer will have to handle. I'm assuming they have access to a master key or a universal key to open it, not sure though. RMP might know for sure, since he worked for a while at a BMW dealership himself.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:35 PM   #6
skorpion
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
Gotcha. The old lock will work fine, but it's a pain in the butt to swap it over. Sounds like one of the connections is gone.

Do you have rear folding seats, or a ski bag? Was the lock working with the alarm previously, and just stopped? Do the other locks still work with the remote? If you look at the lockhole, what position is it in? (perfectly vertical? 1 O'Clock, or 3 O'Clock?) Also, is the button for the trunk lock (on the trunk itself) stuck in?

The problem either is the lock actuator, or a more common BMW problem, the wire broke. On the left side of your trunk there is a wire loom that runs up into the trunk lid... the wires in here can break over time causing all sorts of weird problems. If the loom wasn't put back in place properly when the lid was changed, it's possible that the wires broke from stress.

In either case, you'll have to go into the trunk or have someone else go into the trunk and unlatch it manually. If not, looks like this is a problem the dealer will have to handle. I'm assuming they have access to a master key or a universal key to open it, not sure though. RMP might know for sure, since he worked for a while at a BMW dealership himself.
Originally, the trunk lock was working perfectly with the alarm. Even now, the door locks work fine. Also, when I unlock the car, the trunk lock remains stuck in. You may be right about the wire; the lock stopped working after i washed the car -- maybe some water found its way into the wiring.

So, if i were to somehow gain access to the lock from the inside, how would i open it? Is there a button or something that i have to press (i had quite a field day yesterday trying to find a way to open it through the ski bag hole)?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #7
Jari
4th Gear Member

Just a thought but are you sure the push button lock is fully out when you try unlocking ? Stick a key inside and use it to pull the lock fully back out, and then try locking and unlocking. I know my trunk won't unlock if the button is pushed in a little bit.
Jari is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: