Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-25-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
LVP
2nd Gear Member

Lowered suspension help

Hi,

I'm looking for people who have Bilstein Sport Shocks and H&R Sport Springs on an E36 328i.

I've been going through rear shocks a little too quick for my liking. As well, the rear shock dust boots were always dangling around the base of the shock. I guessed my shock was compressing the shock bump stop a lot and blowing the dust boots to the bottom of the shock.

I decided to see how far the shocks actually traveled. I removed the bump stops and dust boots and put a zip tie around the shaft. After some brisk driving, the zip ties were right up to the to of the rear shock mount (my shocks seem to be bottoming out).

Some points:
1. I have verified that I do have the correct springs and shocks for my car.
2. The springs are not cut or broken
3. I replaced the upper and lower spring pads
4. The rear shocks and rear shock mounts are new
5. I have a worn outer upper wishbone bearing that I will replace, but the extra travel caused by the worn bushing I feel it is not enough to account for the bottoming out of the shock.

Does anyone else with this setup have these issues? Any insight as to why the shocks travel all the way to the top, blowing the dust boots off? When your car is at rest, where are the bump stops in relation to the top of the shock housing?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
LVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Just out of curiosity, how many set of Bilstein Sports have you gone through?

What is the static height of your car? Measure from the center of the wheel straight up to the fender, stock is just over 13".

In my opinion I don't think that worn outer bushing would change the suspension geometry enough to change the spring rate.

Did you get those bump stops with the Bilstein Sports, or are the stock? What rear shock mounts? And are they mounted with the 'hump' facing up or down (certain brands can be mounted down, GC for example)
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:39 PM   #3
LVP
2nd Gear Member

Info

Hi Nelson,

Just out of curiosity, how many set of Bilstein Sports have you gone through?
- This is my 3rd set of rears, same fronts (probably due for replacement soon though ~250k)

What is the static height of your car? Measure from the center of the wheel straight up to the fender, stock is just over 13".
- About 11.25" on each side. My top and bottom spring rubber pads were slightly worn, but I've actually inserted an additional rubber pad on top of each spring to get to this ride height.

In my opinion I don't think that worn outer bushing would change the suspension geometry enough to change the spring rate.
- I agree. My ride height should be barely affected by a worn outer upper bearing/bushing

Did you get those bump stops with the Bilstein Sports, or are the stock?
- Stock BMW

What rear shock mounts?
- E46, but stock.

And are they mounted with the 'hump' facing up or down (certain brands can be mounted down, GC for example)
- They're in same orientation as stock.

Not sure if that helps.....
Old 04-27-2006, 01:05 AM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Are you replacing your struts under warrenty? Lifetime warrenty

The rear of your car is even lower than my car, wow. My opinion would be to either go to a stiffer spring set, or get a pair of the thickest spring pads to raise the rear of your car. To me is seems you don't have enough available travel for your spring rate, hence the bottoming out.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 04-27-2006, 07:30 AM   #5
LVP
2nd Gear Member

Shocks

Most are under warranty. Usually one blows, and I replace in pairs, so it still costs me.

What spring rates are you running? I'll see if I can get the specs on the H&R Sport Spings vs. their Race Spring, or maybe consider some Eibach's that are stiffer. Any thoughts on the stiffness of the Race Springs? I still use this as my daily driver.

Cheers.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:30 AM   #6
thinair
moderationistismingly

My Bilstien PSS are 400lbs/in front and 430lbs/in rear.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: