Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Alizay
Bad Man Wagon

Loud sound coming from the front end

Hey everyone,

A while ago I noticed that every time it snowed or rained heavily, that my car would sound and drive sluggish. It would be louder from the front end, kind of like the exhaust had detatched itself from the car. The strange thing is, this would come and go. It would be fine for a while, then it would come back again.

The other day I had a hole in the middle of my exhaust welded, i thought mabye that had something to do with it, and since then, the sound has been coming and going more often from the front. It's to the point where its EMBARASSINGLY loud.

I plan on putting it on my buddy's hoist later this week, but the sound is so loud, and driving me crazy so much I might just book off a day at work to deal with this.
Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

---My Ride---
2003 BMW 330i M-Package (E46)

LOOKING FOR:
Smoked Tail Lights, Corners and Side Markers for my 2003 BMW 330i

BMW = Bad Man Wagon!!!
Alizay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
Lug_n_trug
2nd Gear Member

Well I'm having a problem like this right now too. It wasn't really affected by rain , but it kept coming and going somehow.

Turns out it's my cat, there's almost nothing left inside, and it's falling off the rest of the pipes.

Not saying that this is your problem, just make sure you check it out. Cat's are a cheap fix
Lug_n_trug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
Alizay
Bad Man Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_n_trug
Well I'm having a problem like this right now too. It wasn't really affected by rain , but it kept coming and going somehow.

Turns out it's my cat, there's almost nothing left inside, and it's falling off the rest of the pipes.

Not saying that this is your problem, just make sure you check it out. Cat's are a cheap fix
Kewl.. thanks.. any other suggestions from anyone else??

---My Ride---

LOOKING FOR:

BMW = Bad Man Wagon!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 07:17 AM   #4
Alizay
Bad Man Wagon

Think I have an idea of what the problem is now...
My mechanic took a look at the ignition coils in the dark, and said that on one of the coils, alot of spark was coming out, and that most likely was causing misfiring which most likely is the loud sound coming from the front.

We tried some sort of sealer spray that is supposily designed for this issue, and it helped for a bit, but it rained, and the problem came back again.
Also now if i run the car on the highway (around 120-140km/h like usual), when i'm exiting, the sound will be there, rain or shine.

So i'm gonna have to get an ignition coil... anyone happen to be selling one???

---My Ride---

LOOKING FOR:

BMW = Bad Man Wagon!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 08:17 AM   #5
jeffrie
Addict

Think you may have a manifold leak if it has just gotten worse after a exhaust repair patch.
Way to pin point this is get someone to block the tail pipes (with the engine running).
As pressure builds up it will start to leak in the engine bay and any other leak on the way up if their is one.

Can of 10w40 over the plug wires may be a temp fix for your sluggish in the rain issue, if it does then you know you need new wires.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:40 AM   #6
Alizay
Bad Man Wagon

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but the problem is now fixed.

I had a hole in my exhaust close to the cat, and I had that piece cut out and replaced with a new pipe. As soon as that was fixed, the problem was exposed, the loud sound was on all the time... right away you know its an exhaust problem.

Checked it out, there was a problem with one of the connections for one of the pipes coming out of the exhaust manifold. Replaced the gasket, changed the bolts (cause they had rusted off), started her up, and just like that... the sound was GONE!!!

---My Ride---

LOOKING FOR:

BMW = Bad Man Wagon!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: