Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
keven
2nd Gear Member
 
keven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: canada
Posts: 219
rust spots

well my other problem is that i have some rust appearing and i want to take care of all of it. Is there a DIY to this or can anyone help me out with how about i do this and wat do i need to know im a rookie at this lol. thanks
keven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Justin e36
---
 
Justin e36's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: etobicoke
Posts: 12,331
Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
where are the rust spots.. is it just paint bubbling up?
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
SUPERCHARGED
5th Gear Member
 
SUPERCHARGED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 930
i have the same problem, pain is bubbling up on the top edge of my hood.on like a 3 inch spot. what can i do?
__________________
SUPERCHARGED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:44 PM   #4
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?
 
bmdbley'sBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: in your attic!
Posts: 4,639
If its someplace invisible ( bottom of a fender behinf the wheel) DIY is great.

But start talking about hoods & highly visible parts, it's harder to DIY decently.

Wire brush the rust away completely, fill if needed, anti rust prime
then apply touch up paint.
Por-15 ontop of that if needed or worried

blending areas of new & original paint is hard , so is color matching
thats why they always paint a larger area with a spray gun
__________________
bmdbley'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
Justin e36
---
 
Justin e36's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: etobicoke
Posts: 12,331
Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
yeah.. don't use touchup.
I don't wire brush.. I use sandpaper, then I fill it with bondo, sand smooth, mask the surrounding area... prime, paint, and clear. Always with a spray gun....
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
DbIiRrTdY
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 545
i find with sanding the rust off the metal I can never really get into the small divits of rust with out grinding a significant amount of metal - is there a chemical you can put on the rust to eat it away then fill with cheese, sand prime and paint?
DbIiRrTdY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:49 PM   #7
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing
 
BMW_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kiev
Posts: 8,351
Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
First I completely sanded down the area to the bare metal, then I used rust removing liquid and I stuck it on the spot (cotton ball and tape it on overnight) to get all the rust out. After that was done, I put on clear and touch up paint. (This is in the area behind the wheel well).

So in the end, for a whole year it was perfect, no rust, until just now it started coming around the edges....Rust will always come back, no matter WHAT you do, maybe not for a year or two, but it will always come back. The best thing to do would be cut off the metal and weld new one in... Even still, it can rust at the welds..

Nothing you can really do about it...
__________________
Vitaliy

2000 Audi A8 SWB Silver/Black
1992 BMW 525iT/5 White/Blue [MPars, HIDs, cargo net]
1989 525i [scrapped]
1995 BMW 318i DASC [sold]
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:24 PM   #8
RMKBMW
2nd Gear Member
 
RMKBMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ottawa, Toronto, Barrie, Halifax, Victoria, St. Jean.. etc
Posts: 122
On the topic of rust. I was just wondering if anyone had thought of installing a sacrificial anode system..
RMKBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:45 PM   #9
Justin e36
---
 
Justin e36's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: etobicoke
Posts: 12,331
Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Rust will not come back if properly taken care of. Rust oxide's prime inhibitor is oxygen. When combined with an electrolyte (water), it creates a weak acid. Salt-water will make an even stronger acid, which will accelerate the oxidation. The acid disolves the iron, while the water breaks down to hydrogen & oxygen. The oxygen binds into the metal, creating the iron oxide.. (also known as rust.)

Typically covering up a rust spot with a touch up brush does not seal the metal, and a lot of the time the rust is actually forming on the other side of the metal. For example, the rear fender arches have a lip on them, the inside of the lip gets pelted with stones which break into the metal. Sand, salt, and water builds up on the lip which eats through the metal... and on the outside, we see rust bubbles forming under the paint. Sand this down, and fix it all you want.. the rust will continue to come back, since the cause is on the other side of the metal.

This is why undercoating or rust proofing your car and body's panels can be so beneficial.

RMK, unfortunately anodes won't work on our vehicles for a few reasons. One is the quality of steel BMW uses does not conduct electrons well enough for a galvanized anode to be effective. The second reason is our vehicles do not have contiguous metal. There are rubber bushings, and plastic brackets that get in the way. Anodes work best on vehicles that were designed for them, or unibody structures such as boats.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:20 PM   #10
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing
 
BMW_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kiev
Posts: 8,351
Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
Rust will not come back if properly taken care of. Rust oxide's prime inhibitor is oxygen. When combined with an electrolyte (water), it creates a weak acid. Salt-water will make an even stronger acid, which will accelerate the oxidation. The acid disolves the iron, while the water breaks down to hydrogen & oxygen. The oxygen binds into the metal, creating the iron oxide.. (also known as rust.)

Typically covering up a rust spot with a touch up brush does not seal the metal, and a lot of the time the rust is actually forming on the other side of the metal. For example, the rear fender arches have a lip on them, the inside of the lip gets pelted with stones which break into the metal. Sand, salt, and water builds up on the lip which eats through the metal... and on the outside, we see rust bubbles forming under the paint. Sand this down, and fix it all you want.. the rust will continue to come back, since the cause is on the other side of the metal.

This is why undercoating or rust proofing your car and body's panels can be so beneficial.

RMK, unfortunately anodes won't work on our vehicles for a few reasons. One is the quality of steel BMW uses does not conduct electrons well enough for a galvanized anode to be effective. The second reason is our vehicles do not have contiguous metal. There are rubber bushings, and plastic brackets that get in the way. Anodes work best on vehicles that were designed for them, or unibody structures such as boats.

Well thanks for the explanation, now I know what I gotta do.
I did undercoat it, but only the year before last year.

Dunno if I'll have time to strip that area apart though, I gotta give it a try.
__________________
Vitaliy

2000 Audi A8 SWB Silver/Black
1992 BMW 525iT/5 White/Blue [MPars, HIDs, cargo net]
1989 525i [scrapped]
1995 BMW 318i DASC [sold]
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:53 PM   #11
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily
 
djcontra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Scarghetto
Posts: 6,129
Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
dont forget to treat the bare metal with rust converter before priming and painting. It will prevent oxidation of the metal (which even atmosphere or the oils on your skin will start)
__________________

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:54 PM   #12
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member
 
M3ti Compact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,465
so...heres what I got...

1. Sand
2. Rust Converter
3. Primer
4. Paint
5. Clear

anything else??
__________________
M3ti Compact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:41 PM   #13
Justin e36
---
 
Justin e36's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: etobicoke
Posts: 12,331
Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_7
Well thanks for the explanation, now I know what I gotta do.
I did undercoat it, but only the year before last year.

Dunno if I'll have time to strip that area apart though, I gotta give it a try.
It's a time consuming process. When I stripped my car and painted it last year, I sandblasted and undercoated the back of the fenders, hood, trunk, rear quarter panels, all inside the trunk, etc. etc... there were some places I couldn't do, like the A pillars. Yesterday I finally washed the car, and guess where I found some rust bubbling back up?... That's right, the A pillar. .. I'm going to have to pull out the windshield again to fix it properly, maybe this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact
so...heres what I got...

1. Sand
2. Rust Converter
3. Primer
4. Paint
5. Clear

anything else??
I would personally wet sand with 600 or 800 grit after priming, and after the first coat of paint. I've never used rust converter before, so I'm not sure how it works with painting or priming...
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.