Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-19-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
Andy E34

Send a message via MSN to Andy E34
Question Has anyone got a ticket for CCFL angel eyes on an E36?

I was visiting my local Mr. Lube today and the tech was telling me that 2 of his friends got tickets for running angel eyes on their rice burners...?
I told him they were availible as standard equip. on E36 so I did not think I would have a problem???
Will I? has anyone actually been written up for non-standard lighting on an E36 with Angel eyes??
If so I will be adding a switch real soon...
Andy E34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
j0nblayz
3rd Gear Member

dont worry about it, as long as its white or yellow you'll be fine, if you have red or blue dde's then yes you can get a ticket. And plus, you drive a bmw, most cops will think its standard, lets say you drive a honda, more chance a cop will pull you over.
j0nblayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:20 PM   #3
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
angel eyes were never standard equipment on e36's. with that said, you can still get a ticket if your foglights do not light up at least 150m ahead of you. I've recieved mixed stories about red angel eyes... as I've had cops tell me it's not illegal.. if it was a lightbulb, then it would be... and I've had another cop ticket me for them. Red/blue/green is illegal on the front of your car... but white/yellow/purple/orange/etc. are not. Needless to say, I've changed to orange and when I got pulled over I asked the cop if it was illegal.. he scratched his head and concluded it was not, since I had the superbright fogs.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
j0nblayz
3rd Gear Member

fog lights? oh damn, my fogs been blown for months, i rewired them so now it lights up my dde's instead.. heh
j0nblayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
Andy E34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
angel eyes were never standard equipment on e36's. with that said, you can still get a ticket if your foglights do not light up at least 150m ahead of you. I've recieved mixed stories about red angel eyes... as I've had cops tell me it's not illegal.. if it was a lightbulb, then it would be... and I've had another cop ticket me for them. Red/blue/green is illegal on the front of your car... but white/yellow/purple/orange/etc. are not. Needless to say, I've changed to orange and when I got pulled over I asked the cop if it was illegal.. he scratched his head and concluded it was not, since I had the superbright fogs.
So you had red angel eyes and got a ticket? You changed to amber angel eyes and drive with no low beams but have 150' range with your fogs...is that right? So your ticket was for RED angel eyes??
Old 04-19-2006, 10:34 PM   #6
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy E34
So you had red angel eyes and got a ticket? You changed to amber angel eyes and drive with no low beams but have 150' range with your fogs...is that right? So your ticket was for RED angel eyes??
Yep... but I did the vented superfogs upgrade many years back, (with upgraded wiring too.) The light range on the fogs is well past 150m. I've asked a number of cops about the light output as well, and they all agreed it is acceptable.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:42 PM   #7
Andy E34

Quote:
Yep... but I did the vented superfogs upgrade many years back, (with upgraded wiring too.) The light range on the fogs is well past 150m. I've asked a number of cops about the light output as well, and they all agreed it is acceptable.
Those must be F^@&'n bright fogs! thats 450'...guess you need that power in rural Etobicoke LOL(where I was born and raised)
BTW what is a vented superfog? Band or type of package?
Old 04-19-2006, 10:56 PM   #8
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy E34
Those must be F^@&'n bright fogs! thats 450'...guess you need that power in rural Etobicoke LOL(where I was born and raised)
BTW what is a vented superfog? Band or type of package?
lol.. glad to see you made it out of this city before it went down the drain.. well the north part at least.

Superfogs is a H1 to H7 conversion. e36 foglights are known for shattering to begin with. The housing gets very hot, all it takes is a stone pitched at the glass, and crrrrack. The problem is even more apparent with brighter/hotter bulbs. They H7's are 60w. So I added additional vent tubes out the back to help expel heat... it works amazing, not a single crack yet. Of course luminX would be another option, if you can afford them. The stock H1's are 50w... so that's also why I upgraded the wiring + fuse.

With the vents, the front of the glass is usually warm to the touch, on cool mornings you can see the steam rising out of the tubes too.

They're a great deal brighter than stock, and don't blind other motorists. Here's a pic from 2002... not bad for stock fog housings.
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...1&d=1096469040
Old 04-19-2006, 10:57 PM   #9
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

The ones that came in the DEPO kit IMO are borderline too blue. If a cop is in a bad mood, your getting a ticket.

They definitely do not look OEM. It's essentially a round flourecent bulb.

The OEM angel eyes are fiber optic and both eyes are run off a single tiny bulb no brighter than city lights.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:09 PM   #10
Andy E34

Quote:
lol.. glad to see you made it out of this city before it went down the drain.. well the north part at least.

Superfogs is a H1 to H7 conversion. e36 foglights are known for shattering to begin with. The housing gets very hot, all it takes is a stone pitched at the glass, and crrrrack. The problem is even more apparent with brighter/hotter bulbs. They H7's are 60w. So I added additional vent tubes out the back to help expel heat... it works amazing, not a single crack yet. Of course luminX would be another option, if you can afford them. The stock H1's are 50w... so that's also why I upgraded the wiring + fuse.

With the vents, the front of the glass is usually warm to the touch, on cool mornings you can see the steam rising out of the tubes too.

They're a great deal brighter than stock, and don't blind other motorists. Here's a pic from 2002... not bad for stock fog housings.
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...1&d=1096469040
Justin
thanks, I had not come across that mod before. Both my fogs are spent right now and will be putting in Osram silverstars...I'll add a vent while I'm down there (I know about the cracking, my E34 had 2 cracked lenses, now I know why!)
BTW I was more South...Parklawn and Queensway but wife is Kipling and Dixon chic...I hear a bit more North than that and parts are not so good anymore? I still have family below Bloor.

Last edited by Andy E34; 04-19-2006 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:15 PM   #11
Andy E34

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact
The ones that came in the DEPO kit IMO are borderline too blue. If a cop is in a bad mood, your getting a ticket.

They definitely do not look OEM. It's essentially a round flourecent bulb.

The OEM angel eyes are fiber optic and both eyes are run off a single tiny bulb no brighter than city lights.
I would not say 2 blue...no more blue than most HIDs I see on newer cars...but compared to CT H1's, yes they are bluish...waiting on my Osram Silverstars to even out the colours and make them seem less blue by comparison

Looks pretty white IMO
Old 04-20-2006, 12:19 AM   #12
BennyL
7th Gear Member

can't wait to put mine in...

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:40 PM   #13
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

I have been hastled for my HID'S and DDE Angel Eyes... I just told the cop that they are all DOT approved, cuz I don't have time for hastles. Even tho they are not DOT apporved.

MY ENGINE SWAP: HERE!

Life Is A Tough Teacher, It Gives You The Test Then The Lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
just do it once, do it right.
Mitch555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: