Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-15-2006, 02:51 AM   #1
sixxdog
2nd Gear Member

M3 mouldings on 325

I bought m/// body mouldings and all new clips,but there is one small clip for for each moulding, well the holes in the body are for the larger clips only, i no alot you have the M/// mouldings how do i fix this so that the clip will stick in the bigger hole....
sixxdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:52 AM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Hi there... you may have purchased the wrong clips for your moulding. The good news is, the same clips you remove from your 325 moulding can be re-used in the M-tech moulding. There are also rubber grommets used in the body of the vehicle.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
sixxdog
2nd Gear Member

mouldings

The mouldings came off an m3 and the clips that were on my stock mouldings do not clip into the m3 mouldings, do you have any idea on the part# for the gromets..Thank you
Old 04-15-2006, 08:21 PM   #4
uber e36
6th Gear Member

Try going onto www.realoem.com and searching. If you type in your vehicle info, it gives you a catalogue of every part for your car. It might take a few minutes to find the right subsection, but it's worth learning how to use this site - as it'll come in very handy many times!

edit: try putting in the info for an M3 as well and see if there gromets on the M3 are a differnt part number than what it says for 325
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:41 PM   #5
sixxdog
2nd Gear Member

Same part number for both..
Old 04-16-2006, 04:44 AM   #6
Swerve
///Maquina

I think you need item 11:

part number 51131960127

///M3 body | Painted kidneys | Hartge spoiler | DJ Autos+DDM HID, DRL delete, clears
Hartge Nova 3+Kumho Ecsta SPT / Hamann HM2+Kumho Ecsta ASX | Bilstein Sports, H&R Sports, KMAC plates, RE RSMs, Racing Dynamics sways, M3 RTABs | M3 Front Brakes
M3 Exhaust | Autothority chip | Cosmos v2+K&N | NGK Iridiums | E46 M knob | clutchstop | woodgrain delete | /////ALPINE, PPI, MB Quart
Swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:57 PM   #7
sixxdog
2nd Gear Member

Thank you im going to order them..
Old 04-17-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
sixxdog
2nd Gear Member

Does part #11 go into the holes on the door, on the diagram it shows it like it goes on the moulding,#12 is a small clip there is 1 on each moulding and the rest are large clips but geuss what they dont clip in flush when they are attached to the moulding, i just got my car back from paint the body shop used the clips i supplied and used urethane in the holes in the body to attach the mouldings, some of them didnt hold, so i took off the door moulding and urethane, oh and of course the fresh new paint, totally destroyed it and its going back to the body shop....
Old 04-17-2006, 03:10 PM   #9
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
how'd you manage that?

the white clips clip onto the moulding itself.. it can slide back and forth on the moulding. The yellow rubber grommets go into the holes on the body of the vehicle, this will also help the paint from getting damaged. Line up the white slider clips on the moulding with the holes, and push them in. A firm push is all it needs.. you'll feel them snap in place.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:24 PM   #10
Ital_325i
Lost in a world of Chaos

You need the retro fit clips, which should be the same as the M3 clips. part#11 is the rubber gromet that goes into the door. The clip is piece 12.
Ital_325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:10 AM   #11
Swerve
///Maquina

^^^actually, part number 11 is a green plastic grommet, and goes in the front-most hole in each panel that you mount a moulding; (a coupe needs 6: 2 quarters, 2 doors, 2 fenders) Part 12 slides into a square slot in the front-most part of each moulding that snaps into part 11, just as Justin described above. Each clip rear of part 11&12 is a clip that is cushioned by a white/yellowish condom-like bushing that fits in the panel's holes.

The regular e36 mouldings mount with just the condom-like bushings and clips in every hole.

The ///M mouldings fit with the same-style clips and condoms EXCEPT the front-most holes require part 11- a plastic green grommet that is meant for the different clip- part 12.

I actually almost did a DIY for this, but my girlfriend took back her digicam.

///M3 body | Painted kidneys | Hartge spoiler | DJ Autos+DDM HID, DRL delete, clears
Hartge Nova 3+Kumho Ecsta SPT / Hamann HM2+Kumho Ecsta ASX | Bilstein Sports, H&R Sports, KMAC plates, RE RSMs, Racing Dynamics sways, M3 RTABs | M3 Front Brakes
M3 Exhaust | Autothority chip | Cosmos v2+K&N | NGK Iridiums | E46 M knob | clutchstop | woodgrain delete | /////ALPINE, PPI, MB Quart
Old 04-19-2006, 12:14 PM   #12
Cosmic 325i
3rd Gear Member

i have the m-tech mouldings and i don't have a green grommet for the front-most hole. all the clips/bushings are the same for all.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:27 AM   #13
Swerve
///Maquina

^^^I bought the retrofit kit from the groupbuy that app/lukeh ran here, http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63456

The coupe kit came with the 6 mouldings, clips preinstalled with the condom-like bushings already on the clips, as well as 6 green grommets I mentioned. I'm not sure about the sedan, but according to sixxdog's first post,
Quote:
I bought m/// body mouldings and all new clips, but there is one small clip for for each moulding, well the holes in the body are for the larger clips only, i no alot you have the M/// mouldings how do i fix this so that the clip will stick in the bigger hole....
it seems as though he needs these green grommets.

Last edited by Swerve; 04-20-2006 at 02:55 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:24 AM   #14
Justin e36
---

My sedan doesn't use the green grommets either.. er.. I don't think. I never used them at least. But they should work just the same, since the white clips are the same as the ones used for M3 side skirts, which require the green grommets.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: