Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-13-2006, 08:41 PM   #16
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
pretty hard= I'm surprised I'm still licensed. The pads are really close to finished, but yeah, 50000 km of abuse on brembo c/d. That's part of the reason I'm going with them again.
98Dinan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:29 AM   #17
jeffrie
Addict

My last set of rotors didn't even last a year but lot's of pad left, raybestos ceramic (they fuc*ing blow) takes like 10 min to warm up and by then my rotors are already burnt blue....
Geuss you get what you pay for.
Max member Bruno hooked me up with some Zimmermans Atp slotted front solid rear, hope they last longer.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

Last edited by jeffrie; 04-14-2006 at 02:34 AM.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:46 AM   #18
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2b-e
why do you think higher end cars come with cross drilled rotors
They do however they give you a bigger rotor to compinsate for the loss of surface conact. Basically you could achieve the same braking with a smaller rotor, however it does not look cool. Slotted is a better way to go.
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #19
BMW4EVER
1st Gear Newbie

as I heard, the crossdrille will help on braking, same as gas slotted. The idea is not on heat or brake surface. It is true that you will have brake surface, but hte holes, or slotted surface, is to take away the brake pad dusts. If the dusts are stuck in between the pad and disk, your brake will have a fewer contact surface.
will third party drilling will cause stress around the holes, and will tend to crack under continous heavy braking (as in track), and slotted rotor will consume your pad much faster (this one I got it from a friend).
if your rotor were molded with the crossdrilled holes, like how porsche do them, it will be less prone to cracks and wraps, and "might" decrease your brake distance.

But now a day, people just change them for look. It doesn't mean that cross-drilled rotor are bad, is just ppl care more about look then performance. my2cents
BMW4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:59 PM   #20
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW4EVER
as I heard, the crossdrille will help on braking, same as gas slotted. The idea is not on heat or brake surface. It is true that you will have brake surface, but hte holes, or slotted surface, is to take away the brake pad dusts. If the dusts are stuck in between the pad and disk, your brake will have a fewer contact surface.
will third party drilling will cause stress around the holes, and will tend to crack under continous heavy braking (as in track), and slotted rotor will consume your pad much faster (this one I got it from a friend).
if your rotor were molded with the crossdrilled holes, like how porsche do them, it will be less prone to cracks and wraps, and "might" decrease your brake distance.

But now a day, people just change them for look. It doesn't mean that cross-drilled rotor are bad, is just ppl care more about look then performance. my2cents
Actually x-drilling and slotting will increase brake dust as the pads are constantly being scraped clean.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:06 PM   #21
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

50,000 k on rotors while driving them hard? Shit son, sign me up for that magic. I only get about 30k on my rotors, mostly street and some track though

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: