Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-16-2006, 07:30 PM   #1
kuds
I take pictures

Quick question about a light in the dashboard

I did a search on the forum and on net but no success.

I went for a little drive before and a light came on in my dashboard. Eventhough it turned off after a bit, I would like to know what it is. It's on the right hand side, and it's a circle with 3 little bars on each side. Thank you
kuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
the big circle with 3 smaller circles on either side of it is your brake pad sensors. Either your front or rear brake pads will need replacing very very soon. The front brake pads do around 70% of the work on our vehicles, so they are typically the ones to go first. I've personally changed my front brakes 3x before my rear brakes needed changing once. (which I did around an hour ago actually.)

Just for reference, the green lights on your dashboard mean they're providing information only. (i.e. turn signals, foglights).
yellow lights mean there is something not critically wrong, you can still drive with caution but there is something that requires your attention. (warning lights, such as ABS is disabled, or traction control information.)
Red lights represent something critical that requires your immediate attention. (check engine, oil pressure, etc.)

Also, the symbols with circles are all brake/traction related.
(!) Red circle with an exclamation mark inside it means you are low on brake fluid.
(P) means your parking brake is engaged still.
|( )| Three circles on either side of the circle, as you know, is brake lining.
((ABS)) The yellow circle with two curved lines on either side means your ABS has been disabled.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:07 PM   #3
kuds
I take pictures

Awesome, thanks a lot. Car is going to the garage this week, for many things, breaks included. Thanks.
kuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:58 AM   #4
black328i
1st Gear Newbie

how come it shows that my parking brake is still engaged when i am driving.
black328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:30 AM   #5
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by black328i
how come it shows that my parking brake is still engaged when i am driving.
There is a small switch under your ebrake boot that grounds everytime the parking brake is engaged. Lift up your leather e-brake boot by tugging on either side of it, it will unclip. The switch has a small spring on it, if you don't have an armrest it is located on the passenger side of the e-brake, if you have an armrest, it is on the driver's side.

The spring probably broke, so it is always grounded. Or someone installed an armrest that didn't come with the vehicle, and forgot to relocate this to the driver's side of the e-brake lever.

Take a look and let us know what happened to the switch.. would be interested to know.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:21 PM   #6
Domvr6
2nd Gear Member

my abs light is on all the time, how do i go about checking why it is disabled or what could cause this and what id need to replace.
Domvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:09 PM   #7
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

We should have a forum "Just ask Justin e36"
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domvr6
my abs light is on all the time, how do i go about checking why it is disabled or what could cause this and what id need to replace.
You'll need to go to a mechanic (or dealer) that has the ABS code reader. Most of the time it's a wheel speed sensor that needs replacing. Next to go is usually the ABS relay located in the fuse box. And more uncommon is the ABS computer, and ABS brake pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness95m3
We should have a forum "Just ask Justin e36"
We do, it's called Maxbimmer.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
black328i
1st Gear Newbie

yeah i am going to try that it also showed that i was low on brake fluid i put some in yesterday and it still hasnt shut off
black328i is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: