Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-08-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
Andy E34

Send a message via MSN to Andy E34
Question City lights (socket in Depo high beam)

OK, a few questions....
1. search for bulbs for the city light sockets...turns up W5W , Osram 2825, 158, 168, 194 or wedge lamps (5watt)
Question...who carries these? can I colour match them to my CCFL angel eyes and my Osram Silverstars?
2. 5watt?
Question... is 5 watt lamp even visible with the CCFL's on?
Can these be used for DTRL's
3. Higher watt bulb.
Question...Is there a higher wattage bulb that can be fitted for use as a DTRL?
4. What does the city light look like when they are on?
Question...does anyone have the city lights fitted in the Depos or ZKW's with CCFL angel eyes and if so please post pics...do they look any good??
Andy E34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
here what you do, go on ebay. get a White LED 194 bulb, takes less wattage is brighter then a stock bulb and will give off a light like HID. As for led's during the day they wont light up the housing as well, but at night they will look damn good.

If you want to color match, just get a SUPER WHITE bulb, size 194, it will give off a very bright white light.

If you have dtrl, i believe that lights up your highbeam??? if so, city lights wont even show up at all they would just be drowned out. IF thats the case youd have to disable your dtrl to have your city lights be visible

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
Andy E34

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooner_dee
here what you do, go on ebay. get a White LED 194 bulb, takes less wattage is brighter then a stock bulb and will give off a light like HID. As for led's during the day they wont light up the housing as well, but at night they will look damn good.

If you want to color match, just get a SUPER WHITE bulb, size 194, it will give off a very bright white light.

If you have dtrl, i believe that lights up your highbeam??? if so, city lights wont even show up at all they would just be drowned out. IF thats the case youd have to disable your dtrl to have your city lights be visible
no...uses low beams for DTRL's
Old 04-09-2006, 04:39 AM   #4
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy E34
OK, a few questions....
1. search for bulbs for the city light sockets...turns up W5W , Osram 2825, 158, 168, 194 or wedge lamps (5watt)
Question...who carries these? can I colour match them to my CCFL angel eyes and my Osram Silverstars?
2. 5watt?
Question... is 5 watt lamp even visible with the CCFL's on?
Can these be used for DTRL's
3. Higher watt bulb.
Question...Is there a higher wattage bulb that can be fitted for use as a DTRL?
4. What does the city light look like when they are on?
Question...does anyone have the city lights fitted in the Depos or ZKW's with CCFL angel eyes and if so please post pics...do they look any good??
Whoa.. Andy, you're reading way too far into this. e36 city lights are also known as candle lights. They are small little bulbs in the highbeam housing to give a glare while the lowbeams are on, or in Europe, when the parking lights are on. These are not the same as DRL's which either use the highbeam bulb at 50% wattage, or your lowbeam bulbs are 100% wattage depending on the year of your vehicle, and DRL relay you have installed.

The candlelight bulbs can be found at pretty much any store that sells bulbs.. canadian tire, your local ricer shop, walmart.. you name it. It's the same bulb you use for your fender signal light bulbs.

You can match them with your silverstars. (I have mine matched.)

It is definiately visible when the CCFL's are on.. why wouldn't they be? They light INSIDE the headlight housing, the CCFL's light AROUND the headlight housing. If there's any worry you should have, it would be the opposite---that your CCFL's won't be as visible with the headlamp lit up slightly.

There are higher wattage bulbs available, but since these are tapped into your low beam circuit or parking light circuit, I wouldn't recommend it without upgrading your wiring and fuse.

Your citylights are either on with your parking lights, or with your low beams. Most people remove the city lights as they find the angel eyes don't look as good with them in the housing.

Here's a pic from 4 years ago of my car, you can see the lowbeams are on the outside, and the inside bulbs (highbeams) have the citylights on... the little bulb offers a slight glare in the housing, without actually lighting anything up. I've upgraded all the wiring for my lowbeams, highbeams, citylights, turn signals, and foglights. As well I've adjusted the fuse amperage to reflect this upgrade.

Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:52 AM   #5
Andy E34

Thanks Justin! That clears things up 4 me! Time to try a few things and see what I like best.
BTW, what lights are you running...HID's, PIAAs or ??
Andy
Old 04-09-2006, 10:33 AM   #6
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

The lights you need for the city/candle lights are apparently W5W- the same that goes into the side turn signal...good luck finding them anywhere but the dealer though...$3 each too. Scammers.

p.s. You can read my story of Partsource and W5W's on my xanga (link below)
Old 04-09-2006, 10:48 AM   #7
Andy E34

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact
The lights you need for the city/candle lights are apparently W5W- the same that goes into the side turn signal...good luck finding them anywhere but the dealer though...$3 each too. Scammers.

p.s. You can read my story of Partsource and W5W's on my xanga (link below)
Derek...good read, I know...parts stores and their listings ...key seems always to know what you want and don't let the knob behind the counter get the better of you!
Was that you at D&B for the group buy with the brand new 3series??
Anyway, good to hear from you. Did you get your Depos in yet?
Andy
Old 04-09-2006, 11:46 AM   #8
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
w5w??? i know in my car its size 194 and they are in every store i have ever gone into... Myabe things are different for you in canadia?

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #9
Rampage
6th Gear Member

Heres what the look like (From Bimmerforums)
Note:He used an amber bulb, which is what they use is Europe I think (?)

Old 04-09-2006, 12:51 PM   #10
Andy E34

Amber looks kinda cool! Hmmm
Old 04-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #11
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

Quote:
Derek...good read, I know...parts stores and their listings ...key seems always to know what you want and don't let the knob behind the counter get the better of you!
Was that you at D&B for the group buy with the brand new 3series??
Anyway, good to hear from you. Did you get your Depos in yet?
Andy
lol, thx...

yeah, that was me in my parent's new E90...my car was low on gas that day...
Old 04-10-2006, 03:27 PM   #12
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Thanks Justin! That clears things up 4 me! Time to try a few things and see what I like best.
BTW, what lights are you running...HID's, PIAAs or ??
Andy
They're just ricer bulbs with upgraded wiring / fuses to handle the increased load on the electrical system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Heres what the look like (From Bimmerforums)
Note:He used an amber bulb, which is what they use is Europe I think (?)
Yes, in europe the city lights are amber. The reason is, in Europe the turn signals only come on while signaling. So the city lights are used as the equivelant to our 'parking lights'.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: