Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-01-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
sitn2low
2nd Gear Member

nooB question...

in my '95 318 auto, there is a button on the centre console, marked M and A that i can switch between....i know that it stand for auto and manual, but i would like some more info please...i heard that it is a flawed system and does not work properly in the '95's......which is it more recommended for city driving/highway etc.

anything useful please
sitn2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:04 PM   #2
E36 Power
DEFINE GF

its for those lonely nights when your driving home alone and pretend you have a 5 speed - we've all done it
Old 04-01-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
sitn2low
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Power
its for those lonely nights when your driving home alone and pretend you have a 5 speed - we've all done it

lol.......does it have anything to do with pushing on the gas, because all it seems to do is rev harder
Old 04-01-2006, 04:07 PM   #4
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
The A and M are to control the program in your automatic transmission. (transmission computer)

A = Economy
M = Manual

Economy mode is for low fuel consumption. The converter lockup clutch automatically enables in 3rd and 4th gears. This is the default program.

Manual mode is for single-gear driving. (automatically 3rd gear if your shifter is in the D position.) The gear selected will be used when starting from a stand-still as well. So you can lock your tranny in 1st gear for going up steep hills. You can lock your tranny in 3rd gear in extremely bad/slippery conditions for better traction as well.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:21 PM   #5
sitn2low
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
The A and M are to control the program in your automatic transmission. (transmission computer)

A = Economy
M = Manual

Economy mode is for low fuel consumption. The converter lockup clutch automatically enables in 3rd and 4th gears. This is the default program.

Manual mode is for single-gear driving. (automatically 3rd gear if your shifter is in the D position.) The gear selected will be used when starting from a stand-still as well. So you can lock your tranny in 1st gear for going up steep hills. You can lock your tranny in 3rd gear in extremely bad/slippery conditions for better traction as well.

thanks alot
Old 04-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #6
JMW
Pole busted to boosted.

i asked that same question when i was in my buddys auto e36...thanks

Official Team BIMMERSPORTAUTOMOTIVE vehicle owner.
support: thanks to. Bimmersport automotive and audio 2 go (ATG motoring)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid
"i saw your car there when i was there a few weeks ago, looks absolutely stunning man. I think i popped a ****ing boner, that paint looks sick
JMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:52 PM   #7
sitn2low
2nd Gear Member

what about it being flawed? i heard that i shouldnt you use because it has "problems" in that year...i dont know what the "problems" may include.....ever hear anything like that?
Old 04-01-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
Andy E34

Send a message via MSN to Andy E34
had the same question a month ago when I got my slush box trans...checked the owners manual and pretty much what was said here... is what it says (actually the manual is not as clear as the instructions above...)
I find it serves a great purpose when passing or zig zagging around sunday drivers on the highway (not that I do that )...it locks the trans in 3rd gear and gives you lots of controlled throttle passing///zig zagging power
Other than that its pretty much useless
Andy E34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: