Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-30-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
kuds
I take pictures

Question Alternator number

I have a 92 318is, how do I find out which alternator number is in my car? I went to my mechanic's, thinking my battery was going, but turns out it's the alternator. It's recharging at 13.6 (instead of 13.9 - 14.0), is that really bad?

Anyways, the prices vary depending on the type of alternator that I have but the only way to find out would be to remove it. Any other possibilities?
kuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
soon2b-e
2nd Gear Member

that sounds like an alternator going bad, usually an alternator will charge at least 14v (a good alternator will charge at 14.4-14.7v) make sure you measure it at the alt and not the battery, because measuring from the battery can be quite different (since the battery is in the trunk) then measuring from the alternator itself
if you have a friend that works at a garage or even a parts distributor, ask them to hook a brothah up !
if not you'll usually end up paying quite a bit
and dont buy junk yard alternators, chances are they are no good ( i've got soooo many stories to go with junk yard parts,more bad then good )
soon2b-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
kuds
I take pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2b-e
that sounds like an alternator going bad, usually an alternator will charge at least 14v (a good alternator will charge at 14.4-14.7v) make sure you measure it at the alt and not the battery, because measuring from the battery can be quite different (since the battery is in the trunk) then measuring from the alternator itself
if you have a friend that works at a garage or even a parts distributor, ask them to hook a brothah up !
if not you'll usually end up paying quite a bit
and dont buy junk yard alternators, chances are they are no good ( i've got soooo many stories to go with junk yard parts,more bad then good )
The mechanic I went too measured it from the battery, so i'll have to have it checked out again. He gave me a price of about 400$ but I guess i'm gonna have to suck it up and get it fixed. Also, my car went dead a few times this week, just while at a red light. The battery checked out ok, so I guess it must be the alternator.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
soon2b-e
2nd Gear Member

^^ get a second opinion on that, someone that will properly warranty it for you
go to known places like meineke or midas or speedy and get a quote, because you'll be surprised at how cheap you can get it done at other well known places + if it didnt fix your problem, you can b!tch to head office and they will let that alternator go for free (i spend too much time talking to head office, bahahaha )
you cant do that with a private "mechanic" "garage"
i learned my lesson that way when i was younger, i would always entrust my car to "my mechanic" and always thought he was cheaper/cheapest, and then 1 day he quoted on my brakes and it sounded a little high, i brought it to a reputable place (franchise/chain) and got it done there because it was 150 dollars cheaper for better parts and lifetime warranty on pads !

Last edited by soon2b-e; 03-30-2006 at 08:56 PM.
soon2b-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
kuds
I take pictures

Actually, my mechanic is Speedy I've been going there for a few years now because it's close to my house, they're open on Saturdays, it's not expensive and the service is top knotch. But they are the ones quoting me 400$ for the alternator.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
jeffrie
Addict

Car will still run fine till batttery dies down to around 10 volts, then things start to run all weird (odd lights, eratic idel, ect...) but it will still run till eventualy it'll start stalling when you let off the throttle.
If your charger is producing 13.6 and leaving you stranded......
I'd get a second oppinion, check your grounds in the mean time and with the car off see if the battery has 12v with a cheapo tester. If it has 10 or 8 volts or so but 13.6 when running their is a dead cell or 2 in the Battery.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
kuds
I take pictures

Awesome, thanks a lot for the info.
I was gonna go spend the money and just do it this weekend, but I'll definitly have some more tests done.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: