Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-27-2006, 11:07 PM   #16
kuds
I take pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
first thing is first, swap the front wheels to the back, see if the viberation continues. It could be a wheel lead that fell off.

Check your front control arm bushings mounted at the rear of the control arms. That to me would be the best guess. It's exactly what happened on my car.

The E36's don't have thrust arms.

it can be the rotors, but all of a sudden?
That's the thing, it wouldn't be all of a sudden. I've never driven this car regularly. The only time I took it out on the highway before today was back in December, when test driving. Didn't notice anything at the time.
kuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:52 PM   #17
soon2b-e
2nd Gear Member

first off, you say that you stored the car for quite a while, second off, you said it only vibrated (or technicly it would be a pulsation in the brakes)
i am gonna bet 100% that it is your brakes, take it out for some usual about the town drive, and brake (slow down, whatever you do to apply brakes) and if it still happens after a days worth of drive, your rotors have either been rust pitted, or have warped, my money goes on rust pitting, when you are about to get your brakes serviced, or looked at, you will see what i mean, it looks like small craters that the rust has gotten to, since you did have the car sit for while....

btw, its brake "lathe" not lave.... and if you've had those rotors for a while, i would want to get specs on them, (shops have what the specs should machine to and when to replace) its better to replace then to service rotors that have had problems with them

btw, if a rotor has warped, they will tend to slightly "squeek" or "squeel" even when your just driving, because when a rotor is warped, it will touch the brake pads even when your just driving.....

EDIT: i noticed when i was reading over this topic again that you said it was only from high speeds, the rotors are probably warped, get the specs on the rotors, and if they are worth saving, then have them machined, remember to scuff up the pads while your at it

Last edited by soon2b-e; 03-27-2006 at 11:55 PM.
soon2b-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:36 AM   #18
$500bimmer
6th Gear Member

yea ur right sorry for the spelling bud and ur right bout the specs i gave a brief explanation on it.
they dont always make noise when warped. but hey everyone has there own opinion on things right......

$500bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:00 AM   #19
Antz_Marchin
4th Gear Member

I'll follow suit with rotors cause it's a good possibility. But it happened on my E30 when my control arms were shot.
Antz_Marchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:39 AM   #20
kuds
I take pictures

Thanks for the input guys. So I just got into work, making today the 2nd day that my bmw saw the highway (under my ownership). When coming to a stop on the highway, I was pumpimp the brakes every time and it seemed to help the problem. It would start vibrating and then quickly dissapear as I would pump the pedal.

I agree with everyone who said that it's the rotors, that's what I thought it was from the start. I'll have it checked out this week.
kuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:00 PM   #21
Hasselhoff
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuds
I agree with everyone who said that it's the rotors, that's what I thought it was from the start. I'll have it checked out this week.
Be sure they clean and lube the caliper slides too.
Hasselhoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: