Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-23-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
cisco911
6th Gear Member

BMW Warranty?

Hey Guys,
I just wanted to know if anyone knew what the warranty is on rust for the E46s. I have an 01 330i and I noticed yesterday that there are rust bubbles on the inside of my driver door. I went to my body guy this morning and he said that its coming from the inside out and that he thinks BMW has warranty on rust (from inside out of course) for extended time. Does anyone know if this is true and how many years this warranty is for??? I have a buddy at BMW, but he is on vacation so I wanted to get some honest answers before calling the dealer.

Thanks for the help
Old 03-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
rafiki
210k and counting

I have an 01 330i as well. Similar issue on the passenger side rear door sill which BMW already covered. I should really check the others. Now to answer your question...I believe it is 6 years since the vehicle was put into service. Mine was 8/2000 in service, so rust warranty is up 8/2006. BMW changed the warranty to 10 years at some point, but not sure for which model year.

http://www.rafiki.org/photos/rust/

Good luck!
'01 330i premium package - sahara beige on tan - oe clears - legal tint - manual tranny minus cdv - carbonio intake - aluminum strut bar - sport shocks with h&r springs - uuc camber kit, ss lines, tse3 & evo3 ssk+dssr+rob knob - shark injected
rafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
cisco911
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafiki
I have an 01 330i as well. Similar issue on the passenger side rear door sill which BMW already covered. I should really check the others. Now to answer your question...I believe it is 6 years since the vehicle was put into service. Mine was 8/2000 in service, so rust warranty is up 8/2006. BMW changed the warranty to 10 years at some point, but not sure for which model year.

http://www.rafiki.org/photos/rust/

Good luck!
Hey rafiki,
Thanks for the reply
All my other doors are fine. Yours was actually on the body of the car, mine is on the door itself. My car's production date is 8/2000 as on the door, but I will check the books to see when it came into service. I have actually seen many E46s at my dad's shop and have never seen rust on the area where your car had rust. Did BMW give you an explanation for why it rusted there?

Thanks again for the quick reply
Old 03-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
cisco911
6th Gear Member

Okay, so I just called BMW service and they said that my car only has warranty if there is a "box" in the trunk(electro-static rust proofing????). If there isn't then there is no warranty. However, on BMW's website, it does say 6 years/unlimited kms. So what the hell is going on??? Are they trying to scam me?
Old 03-23-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
rafiki
210k and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco911
Hey rafiki,
Thanks for the reply
All my other doors are fine. Yours was actually on the body of the car, mine is on the door itself. My car's production date is 8/2000 as on the door, but I will check the books to see when it came into service. I have actually seen many E46s at my dad's shop and have never seen rust on the area where your car had rust. Did BMW give you an explanation for why it rusted there?

Thanks again for the quick reply
No explanation from BMW, and it was quite the headache getting them to take care of the rust. Had to get two written estimates, take those to a dealership. They took some pics and sent them off to BMW. Lots of followup calls before someone at Parkview finally was able to sign off on it. Let me know if you find that electro-static box in your car - curious if mine has one. If it does, it sure as heck doesn't seem to work.
'01 330i premium package - sahara beige on tan - oe clears - legal tint - manual tranny minus cdv - carbonio intake - aluminum strut bar - sport shocks with h&r springs - uuc camber kit, ss lines, tse3 & evo3 ssk+dssr+rob knob - shark injected
rafiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: