Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-11-2006, 10:29 AM   #16
Hound
V-Dub in da House

Send a message via MSN to Hound

me personally, go with the YD at $18 for an hour.... it takes most people 30 min or less to learn as long as you know how it works and aren't completly clueless, sounds like you know what your doing.. and also the chances of learning bad habits ie. riding the clutch and so on, your gonna learn that if you learn by yourself or if the person teaching you does it, whereas with the YD lesson im sure they will teach you proper technique, also be sure to learn how to start off from a incline without too much roll back/riding of the clutch, and also be sure to learn how to keep the car from rolling back in general, cause these days most people at a light or stop sign get right on your @ss because they think everyone drives auto, then they look at you afterwards like you are the spawn of satan cause you rolled back towards them.... good luck with which ever you choose, also remember that down the road if you develop bad habbits now, that may end up costing you a pretty penney in clutch wear and/or syncros....

07 GTI, Revo Stage II, 3" catless GHL exhaust, OEM R32 rear conversion, 17x9 + 17x11 215/45/17 all around on genuine BBS RS's, B&G RSII coilovers

96 Harliquin Golf
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:00 PM   #17
Paul540/m3
BMW Individual

Send a message via MSN to Paul540/m3
My dad rented me a MAzda from a dealer. There is one dealer in toronto that will rent stick protege's and miatas. I forget the name of it though. If you really want to know I could find out.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:05 PM   #18
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound
me personally, go with the YD at $18 for an hour.... it takes most people 30 min or less to learn as long as you know how it works and aren't completly clueless, sounds like you know what your doing.. and also the chances of learning bad habits ie. riding the clutch and so on, your gonna learn that if you learn by yourself or if the person teaching you does it, whereas with the YD lesson im sure they will teach you proper technique, also be sure to learn how to start off from a incline without too much roll back/riding of the clutch, and also be sure to learn how to keep the car from rolling back in general, cause these days most people at a light or stop sign get right on your @ss because they think everyone drives auto, then they look at you afterwards like you are the spawn of satan cause you rolled back towards them.... good luck with which ever you choose, also remember that down the road if you develop bad habbits now, that may end up costing you a pretty penney in clutch wear and/or syncros....

That sounds awsome. People used to tell me that YD is way overpriced. I will give them a call too. I think roll back and riding the clutch is a very serious issue for most stick drivers. I always notice it at the traffic lights.
-1991 BMW 318i (SOLD)
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #19
lvan
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul540/m3
My dad rented me a MAzda from a dealer. There is one dealer in toronto that will rent stick protege's and miatas. I forget the name of it though. If you really want to know I could find out.
Maybe Giro Mazda. Eglin/Larid. I heard those guys rent cars to everyone.
-1991 BMW 318i (SOLD)
Old 03-11-2006, 12:19 PM   #20
Wannabe
Northwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound

Spoken from a man who drives SMG
2002 Dodge Durango SXT
1985 BMW 325e
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1995 Nissan Altima SE
1994 Mazda MX-6 RS
1984 Buick Riviera
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:11 PM   #21
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan
That sounds awsome. People used to tell me that YD is way overpriced. I will give them a call too. I think roll back and riding the clutch is a very serious issue for most stick drivers. I always notice it at the traffic lights.

you cant avoid roll back unless you use the e-break... and you should only use that on steep hills... otherwise, learn how to drive stick properly hahaha.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:16 PM   #22
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

You can learn in my car if you want. For the low low price of a new clutch. LOL.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #23
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex
you cant avoid roll back unless you use the e-break... and you should only use that on steep hills... otherwise, learn how to drive stick properly hahaha.

sounds like you are the one who needs to learn how to drive stick
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:37 PM   #24
///Milk
BangSentra

Send a message via ICQ to ///Milk Send a message via AIM to ///Milk Send a message via MSN to ///Milk Send a message via Yahoo to ///Milk Send a message via Skype™ to ///Milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe3
go test drive cars
That's what I did. The salesman was chill since my dad talked him into it.
I stalled about 8 times in a row from a stop sign. Haven't touched a stick since then.

///Milk

2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S
2009 Ford Focus SES Sedan
///Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #25
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Shifters Canada
www.shifters.ca
416 921 7845

if i were you, i'd ask that carlos tomas train you personally. He's the owner, but he still does do some lessons. It may feel wierd taking driving lessons, but you develop good manual driving habits, instead of bad ones which are easily aqcuired and difficult to lose.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 04:52 PM   #26
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Milk
That's what I did. The salesman was chill since my dad talked him into it.
I stalled about 8 times in a row from a stop sign. Haven't touched a stick since then.
loooooooooooool....same thing happens wen my sister drives my dads e36... stop signs and hills are her wost nightmare......
Old 03-12-2006, 04:36 AM   #27
lvan
6th Gear Member

^^^ You get the point. I can do it too but what's the point of it since you have to worry how to overcome the up hill and stops.
-1991 BMW 318i (SOLD)
Old 03-12-2006, 09:42 AM   #28
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Its all about knowin the basics of how a clutch works. Read about it first before u get in a car. Thought my sister in 10mins after reading after her readin it about it. Now she drives lke a pro.

here is a good article to get u started.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission4.htm

Last edited by ZiMMie; 03-12-2006 at 09:48 AM.
ZiMMie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #29
Sweetbmw
2nd Gear Member

Express Car Rental Mississauga

Hey i know 1 rental company in mississauga "Express car rental mississauga", located on burnhamthorpe rd / mavis road.
1995 Bmw 325is Parted out
1996 Bmw 318Ti Sold
1998 Bmw 540i Sold
2002 Bmw 330ci convertible for sale
2009 Mini Cooper clubman part out
Sweetbmw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: