Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Wiper Linkage Removal

I know I'm going to regret asking about this

How painful is it to get this out???? Considering I had my complete dash and heaer box out just a few weeks ago ........... and no doubt it would have been easier to do it then............ I am now kicking myself profusely.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
rico328i
5th Gear Member

wiper linkage

Hope you have small hands!! I had to do this last year - replaced the wiper linkage. It's quite cramped in there but completely do-able. Good luck.
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
U dont need to remove ur dash to pull out the linkage.the linkages comes out of the ventilation hole that goes into the cabin.

www.StanceFactory.com
ZiMMie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
tominizer
6th Gear Member

I''ve removed the wipers and the squirrel cage fan and cover............ the wiper linkages seem to be jammed in there good as I could see how you "jimmy" them out of that space. The heater box looks to keep the passenger side from coming out. So I stood there like a donkey............ what's the trick of the puzzle guys to get the linkages out!??!!??!?!?!?!?
Old 02-13-2006, 07:34 PM   #5
rico328i
5th Gear Member

wiggle

I wiggled the linkage out of there w/the motor still attached if I'm right. Can't exactly remember. This being done from the outside of the car. Like I said, it is a pain in the ass of a job.
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:51 PM   #6
BMW325BMW
Commando

I had to remove my blower when i replaced my wiper linkage. And according to the haines manual that wasnt supposed to be enough. But since I dont care about my car, I wasnt worried if i broke a link or 2. But if you do care, I would suggest taking out the blower and everything it sits in. Give yourself a few hours to play with this. It took me 2 hours to do a half ass job. Hope the weather is decent where you are, or a nice warm garage to work in. I had to do mine in subzero temperatures.
BMW325BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:03 AM   #7
tominizer
6th Gear Member

To remove the heater box, you need to take out the dash as that box comes out from the inside !!! There's no way that BMW designed this THAT BADLY is there !?!??!?!?!? I have a second heater box........... I think I'll have a closer look at it again................ but damn

Only reason I'm doing this is cause I picked up a mono full sweep wiper linkage for my E30 M3. If this becomes too painful, I guess I'll just sell it.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:40 PM   #8
BMW325BMW
Commando

sell the car cause you cant replace the linkage? just take it in to get it fixed. cost you tops, $200. But if i'm not mistaken, you have to go from inside the dash to unhook it, than under the hood to take it out completely
Old 02-14-2006, 11:34 PM   #9
BMWags
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW325BMW
sell the car cause you cant replace the linkage? just take it in to get it fixed. cost you tops, $200. But if i'm not mistaken, you have to go from inside the dash to unhook it, than under the hood to take it out completely

umm, not point out the obvious, but i think he means sell the mono linkage, not the car..... i cant ell if there is sarcasm but i hope there is lol
BMWags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:05 AM   #10
tominizer
6th Gear Member

I think I may have figured it out. Next time I'm at the shop, gonna give it a try. Have to disconnect the heat vents and snap off the top of the heater box housing................... all do-able from the front. IF not, I'll just torch the car.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #11
Luke318is
BMW Fanatic

ball joint/control arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer
I''ve removed the wipers and the squirrel cage fan and cover............ the wiper linkages seem to be jammed in there good as I could see how you "jimmy" them out of that space. The heater box looks to keep the passenger side from coming out. So I stood there like a donkey............ what's the trick of the puzzle guys to get the linkages out!??!!??!?!?!?!?
I dont know the reason you are taking it out, but if its cuz ur wipers stopped working then:

Ive had this happen, the ball joint seperates from the control arm, the control arm flops down and gets jammed in a little nook in there if u use the wipers. trick is to get ur hand in there while reaching into window and flipping the wiper switch, when the arms moves a bit in mid stroke u can pull the control arm out of its jammed spot then use an elastic to hold it on the ball joint until you can get a new "ball joint rubber grommet thing". dont buy new wiper setup, im pretty sure you can just get a new rubber grommet to grip the ball on the control arm, they wear out. mind you my elastic has kept my wipers working for a year lol.

EDIT* you do this all from outside the car. just pop off one wiper and take the vent off, then get ur SMALL HAND or a wrench in there....find some 8 year old to do it lol.
1990 ///325i -Imported Mtech2 model, purchased May 28

Last edited by Luke318is; 02-15-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Luke318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:47 PM   #12
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Ok............. *bows to the crowd*

I did it......... and now that I've got it figured out, is not that bad. Only thing is the two clips on the shroud of the heater box closer to the inside of the car........... firgit 'bout em. The plastic straps should be more then enuf anyways.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:12 PM   #13
BMW325BMW
Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWags
umm, not point out the obvious, but i think he means sell the mono linkage, not the car..... i cant ell if there is sarcasm but i hope there is lol
reading it again, i see what you mean... sarcasm noted

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: