from r3vlimited.com (there is a whole forum subsection dedicated to the topic, read the bigass stickied thread in the subforum before you do anything)
This swap is not for the faint of heart, for best results get Charlie (bimmersport) to do it for you, but you are going to have to source few rare parts on your own.
btw, i know a person selling most of the parts for the swap including freshly rebuilt M50 (pm me)
oh, and one more thing: the swap WILL exceed the value of your car, do it only if you love the car and will consider using it for at least 5 more years. Otherwise it's not going to be a good investment.
E30 M50 ENGINE CONV PARTS LIST
"1. E30 88' radiator, I used the e36 unit with the lower mounts raised
2. E30 88' radiator over flow tank
3. E30 M20 fan, poss. w/clutch
4. E28 533i motor mounts w/ 5mm spacers or e28 m5 mounts with out spacers
5. E34 throttle cable
6. E21 brake booster w/ modified shaft, to 15mm or 325IX/e32 735 without mod to the shaft
7. E34 M5 or 25mm brake master cylinder w/ additional brake line used for the 325ix booster
or a e32 735i with the modified 320i booster
8. E30 325 trans X-member
9. E28 m5 or two 320i trans mounts/ which are cheaper
10. E30 M3 driveshaft or i used the front of the e36 mated to the rear of my e30 M3 have it rebalanced
11. E30 diff. w/ 3:25 ratio or E28 533i w/ 3:25 LSD
12. E30 318 ECU mount
13. E34 oil pan
14. E34 oil pickup
15. E36 m3 exhaust manifold
16. M50 radiator hoses
17. E36 M3 Motronic
18. OBDI intake manifold
19. OBDI throttle body boot
20. E36 alloy mounting arms
21. OBDI wiring harness DO NOT BUY silver label “413” motronic, it has EWS (security),
it can only put into original chassis
22. the engine harness and the ECU are all E36 M3.
On the standard E30 with M20 engine fitted, you have the large round plug (C101) up on the firewall next to the brake booster.
This plug has 2 parts. One half is connected to the car wiring, and the other is connected to the engine harness.
When the M20 was removed, the engine side of the plug was removed with the engine. Now I have the S50 half of the plug in its place. Although similar in appearance, it will not plug directly into the E30 half of the plug.
I removed the E36 engine half of the plug, and replaced it with an E30 one. This then allows the 2 parts to screw back together. All you need to make sure is that you have the correct wires connected to each other. Its not just pin 1 to pin 1 and pin 2 to pin 2 etc (although some of the wires do actually connect this way).
This plug connection is the only point where the E30 & E36 wiring interface with each other. The rest of the E36 M3 engine harness is totally self contained.
23. the exhaust from the downpipe to the muffler is all custom made
Last edited by static; 02-12-2006 at 12:07 PM.