Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-10-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
90E30i
3rd Gear Member

coming back to life

I blew up the head gasket due to detonation after the first month of driving the car.So I did a few little modifications to help it last a little longer this time.

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t5.jpg

t6.jpg

11.jpg
90E30i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Jordan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Jordan
ok?

Restricting coolant flow and smoothing/matching the intake manifold ports aren't going to help detonation.

What will is proper tuning....
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
ok?

Restricting coolant flow and smoothing/matching the intake manifold ports aren't going to help detonation.

What will is proper tuning....
ie. pulling back timing (stand alone fuel management), supplying more controlled fuel on boost and cooler intake charge while watching an A/F guage intensley hooked up to a wide band o2 sensor. Also proper external wastegate and no cheapie Chinese high whoosh type. Accurate blow off valve as well.

Metric Blue head bolts a must with a new stock head gasket and about 65ft/lbs pull

The head looks nice.

SPEED AND POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL,
THANK HITLER, BMW HAS ALL THREE
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #4
90E30i
3rd Gear Member

smoothing the intake ports wasn't part of it...but thanx for noticing .
Detonation was caused by too much oil pressure to the turbos.
Oil was leaking from the cold side under boost and was gunking up the plugs.
I did a MAF conversion and for tuning I'm using a AFC.
I also got a set of 12.9 grade head bolts.all that's left is to put all back togather and see how will its gonna work.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:27 PM   #5
90E30i
3rd Gear Member

ohhh yeah..
that gold intake mani should add 5-10 hp...no?
Old 02-10-2006, 11:11 PM   #6
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90E30i
smoothing the intake ports wasn't part of it...but thanx for noticing .
Detonation was caused by too much oil pressure to the turbos.
Oil was leaking from the cold side under boost and was gunking up the plugs.
I did a MAF conversion and for tuning I'm using a AFC.
I also got a set of 12.9 grade head bolts.all that's left is to put all back togather and see how will its gonna work.
I remember telling you that your engine will detonate. It's all nice to say you are running twin turbos, but you will need a whole lot more to do to make that thing reliable. You are also using an AFC piggyback, at this stage of the game you should be using a complete stand alone engine management unit.

With that setup you have that engine will be prone to detonation and self destruction.

You have more issues causing detonation than oil gunking the plugs.

Good luck.

BTW I did do a search and found my post telling you EXACTLY what has happened to you now.

Look here and read my post you will see.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58147

Last edited by Striker; 02-10-2006 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:14 PM   #7
90E30i
3rd Gear Member

damn.
looks like you know more about my car than I do.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:17 PM   #8
Jordan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Jordan
Oil fouled plugs don't cause detonation... Too much compression ratio, not enough fuel, too hot air, and complete lack of tuning do.

All of this shit is for nothing if you don't tune it right.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:22 PM   #9
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90E30i
damn.
looks like you know more about my car than I do.
90E30i, I have been on earth a while now and only say and advise based on what I know, not from an unknown source.

I turbocharged my m20 and went through all the building and testing of the whole aspect of it. I was running 9lbs boost before the engine started to run lean.

Nothing wrong with running higher boost and twin turbos, but you will need all that's required to suppliment it.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:27 PM   #10
Striker
Turbo Ready

90E30i, I am rebuilding an e34 m30 (220 HP STOCK) engine now for my e30 and will turbo charge it after. You should follow my route if you would like to have a 500 hp engine in your e30 nose

Old 02-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #11
highstrung
aka Dave T / Motronix

wow......... welding the coolant jackets on your m20 head....... now you think thats going to help your detonation solution?????
highstrung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:38 PM   #12
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstrung
wow......... welding the coolant jackets on your m20 head....... now you think thats going to help your detonation solution?????

No it won't. I think he was advised to do that and it was not properly explained to him why it was suggested.

The reason why guys do that, is to "create" more surface area between the edge of the cylinder and coolant jacket so that the head gasket has a bit more room to spread and to seat itself.

This is done to prevent the head gasket from blowing at that spot which I think most guys have had frequent failures.

To make it pratical and worth the effort, it has to be welded more and the machined flat with the block as well. The block has not been resurfaced as yet, but t seems as though the welder was finished which makes no sense.

Last edited by Striker; 02-11-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:12 PM   #13
highstrung
aka Dave T / Motronix

Striker wrote "No it won't. I think he was advised to do that and it was not properly explained to him why it was suggested."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i was being sarcastic.... of course i know it wont help his detonation issues, but i would never go that welding route. i have turbo'd many m20's, supercharged them with high boost and havent had to resort to "strengthing" the cylinder head by welding..lol

personally, if you are going to run more than 17+psi, ditch the m20 (even tho i love those motors) and spend the money on building a twin cam that can take the pressure.
but if you want to build the m20 to limits, what i have seen is the old school route and o-ring cut the block and when the head is torqued it will allow the rings bite into headgasket to help with pressure issues.

anyways, running boost, tuning is key .... lots of hours on the dyno to make it work properly if you do not have a base line program for the setup, will help the detonation.

Last edited by highstrung; 02-11-2006 at 02:22 PM.
highstrung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 04:04 PM   #14
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Striker wrote "No it won't. I think he was advised to do that and it was not properly explained to him why it was suggested."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i was being sarcastic.... of course i know it wont help his detonation issues, but i would never go that welding route. i have turbo'd many m20's, supercharged them with high boost and havent had to resort to "strengthing" the cylinder head by welding..lol
It has nothing to do with strengthing the cylinder head. I just explained it has to do with creating more surface area for the head gasket to spread and seat better at that particular spot where it often gives. Whose m20's have you supercharged and turbo charged? Surprised we never heard of them
Quote:
personally, if you are going to run more than 17+psi, ditch the m20 (even tho i love those motors) and spend the money on building a twin cam that can take the pressure.
You can't even reach 13 lbs boost without doing thousands of dollars worth of work on an m20 much more 17 lbs. Single cams or twin cams has absoulety nothing to do with turbocharging a car.

Quote:
but if you want to build the m20 to limits, what i have seen is the old school route and o-ring cut the block and when the head is torqued it will allow the rings bite into headgasket to help with pressure issues.

That's a band aid approach and does not last.

Quote:
anyways, running boost, tuning is key .... lots of hours on the dyno to make it work properly if you do not have a base line program for the setup, will help the detonation.
Dyno tuning for lots of hours is a complete waste of time with improper equipment which results in 0.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: