Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2006, 06:24 PM   #16
dropped_E30
6th Gear Member
 
dropped_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: sauga
Posts: 1,341


jer if it was subliminal, then that means that someone who heard these songs previously, played forward as usual, would be able to know what the backwards message was before they heard it played in reverse
__________________
PAST: 89 e30 325is
PRESENT: 05 civic LX coupe
FUTURE: anything with more than 115 HP
dropped_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:17 PM   #17
jeremy
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropped_E30
jer if it was subliminal, then that means that someone who heard these songs previously, played forward as usual, would be able to know what the backwards message was before they heard it played in reverse
no.. that is not what it means...

subliminal messages have been used in scientific tests where for example, a recorded message is played to a group of people with "i am thristy" played backwards they would then ask people questions... some of them would say things like i feel thirsty now...

i dont know how many times i have to write this:

subliminal is below the threshold of conscious perception.
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:10 PM   #18
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy
dude.. it's subliminal... you have no idea of what the unconcious mind is capable of ...

i am trying to think of a decent example for you monkeys, but i learned about this shit along time ago.... your mind picks up on things that don't even enter your conscious thought process...

you have probably been exposed to all sorts of subliminal messages and would never know or have awarness of them... just because they are there does not mean you will recognize them or act on them..

remember subliminal is "below the threshold of conscious perception". you are thinking that your conscious mind should be able to reconize the meassages in the songs, which would not be subliminal...

whats the purpose of a sublimimal message if you cant pick up on it to begin with ??? There is no way that anyones mind, sub conscious or conscious can pick up on the reverse lyrics to some random song they are listening to. Sorry, but our brains aren't that powerful. How many of you can resite the alphabet in reverse?


There is a "below the threshold of conscious perception" and then there is "NOT MAKING ANY SENSE"... Also known as Giberish. I dont believe any level of our consciouness picks up on this.. And the studies that have been done on the brain are still unconclusive as there is so much to learn as of right now on how sub consciousness works and the brain in general to really get any truethfully valuable information on this subject.

also the case study that you mentioned, is also unconclusive as final evidence on this matter... When you remove all other variables and play only one sentence in reverse that says the same thing then you will have at least 1 individual who will decrypt it and know what it says.. Yes sub consciously and maybe even consciously.

now play a song, in which by chance 1 random sentence, that reads perfectly forward, reads perfect in reverse, how many individuals will pick up on that? top it all off there is also music in the backround. Its one thing when you remove all variables, another when you try to apply this theory to every day life and the millions of other things that our mind is subconsciously picking up on.

also worth noting alot of those studies are geared towards getting certain case specific answers.. We dont know what sort of questions were asked to get a response like: "i feel thirsty now"..
How many people would say I feel thirsty if you asked them and probed them with questions like:
is your mouth dry?
do you want something to drink?

considering something like 70% of the population is chronicly dehydrated and doesn't know it, youll get people that will answer you head on.

Last edited by sirex; 02-10-2006 at 10:30 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:35 AM   #19
coolhand
Banned
 
coolhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 3,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex
whats the purpose of a sublimimal message if you cant pick up on it to begin with ??? There is no way that anyones mind, sub conscious or conscious can pick up on the reverse lyrics to some random song they are listening to. Sorry, but our brains aren't that powerful. How many of you can resite the alphabet in reverse?

Uhh, it's pretty simple to understand somthing backwards if you train you mind to do it. It'a like a language but backwards.
coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:48 AM   #20
jeremy
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex
whats the purpose of a sublimimal message if you cant pick up on it to begin with ??? There is no way that anyones mind, sub conscious or conscious can pick up on the reverse lyrics to some random song they are listening to. Sorry, but our brains aren't that powerful. How many of you can resite the alphabet in reverse?
subliminal messages are not supposed to be easily identified.. they are hidden messages used for whatever reason...the sub concious mind picks up on all sorts of things that you don't recognize in your normal thought process...and our brains aren't that powerfull ??? are you kidding me ? we only use 5% of our brains potential...


Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex
There is a "below the threshold of conscious perception" and then there is "NOT MAKING ANY SENSE"... Also known as Giberish. I dont believe any level of our consciouness picks up on this.. And the studies that have been done on the brain are still unconclusive as there is so much to learn as of right now on how sub consciousness works and the brain in general to really get any truethfully valuable information on this subject.
first you say you don't believe it.. then in the next sentence you admit that there is so much we don't know about how our sub conscious works ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex
also the case study that you mentioned, is also unconclusive as final evidence on this matter... When you remove all other variables and play only one sentence in reverse that says the same thing then you will have at least 1 individual who will decrypt it and know what it says.. Yes sub consciously and maybe even consciously.
that's just it.. the stuff isn't played backwards for them to decript....it is played foward at normal speed and then they are asked a series of questions....it's not rocket science...people have used subliminal messages for years in advertising...to my understanding it was even out lawed from advertising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex
now play a song, in which by chance 1 random sentence, that reads perfectly forward, reads perfect in reverse, how many individuals will pick up on that? top it all off there is also music in the backround. Its one thing when you remove all variables, another when you try to apply this theory to every day life and the millions of other things that our mind is subconsciously picking up on.
you're missing the point...it's not a matter of them saying.. hmmm, i think i was just told to buy a coke...subliminal messages MAY trigger a thought of something but you would dismiss it a part of your regular thought process....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex
also worth noting alot of those studies are geared towards getting certain case specific answers.. We dont know what sort of questions were asked to get a response like: "i feel thirsty now"..
How many people would say I feel thirsty if you asked them and probed them with questions like:
is your mouth dry?
do you want something to drink?

considering something like 70% of the population is chronicly dehydrated and doesn't know it, youll get people that will answer you head on.
i was merely using this as an example.. i was not sighting actual case study.. i used an easy example as an atempt no to complicat things...
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:16 AM   #21
Justin e36
---
 
Justin e36's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: etobicoke
Posts: 12,331
Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Jeremy's right on a money about a lot of this.. a good understanding of subliminal linguistiscs.

By the way, the topic covered in this thread refers to David John Oates’ theory of Reverse Speech. It's a real theory; it has been analyzed, researched, and various conclusions have been reached. You may establish your own conclusion after reviewing his material.

Interestingly, it has been confirmed that some people who suffer from dyslexia (whether primary, acquired, or developmental) also interpret words backwards, or with the words in a mixed up order when apprehended phonetically. It is possible for 'a' brain to interpret sounds in reverse, or desultory. Whether this transfers over to healthy individuals though is still not fully understood. In theory, there is no reason why not, just like a brain can be conditioned to read/interpret sentences backwards discernibly.

nitsuJ

p.s. yes, I have read research papers and have done independant studying on this topic, as well as simliar theorems, for nothing other than general pleasure. In fact, a few years previous I did an independant tour for various high school's in Toronto presenting on the power of subliminal theory in the media, with focus on children's advertising. It was targeted towards English Media students, and teachers were given a take-away materials for post-study. It was quite successful as it combined visual, and audio media. And of course, I managed to collect a little more experience with public speaking and presenting materials to both large and small audiences. (comes in handy when you have to present at board meetings and such.) But again, I say read the material and draw your own conclusions.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:19 AM   #22
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,832
its all bullshit

Last edited by sirex; 02-11-2006 at 11:38 AM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2015