Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-05-2006, 11:00 PM   #16
static
6th Gear Member

So Zimmie, did you actually manage to retrofit those things into ellipsoid buckets? Was it a lot of headache?

question for Jordan - how hard was it to retro the mini projectors?

i guess i am gonna have to look for projectors that WILL fit the housing this time around.

Alex
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:33 PM   #17
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by static

Alex
Jordon didn't use projectors from a mini, he only used the ballast and the bulbs. He modified the sockets to fit the D2S bulbs.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:23 AM   #18
Gamite

Quote:
hey can anyone post some pics of the ellipsoids taken apart?

Reason is i am in process of collecting parts for my HID retrofit and still don't really know how it all will fit together. I only know it's possible because many people on internet done this with good results.

I have already sourced bi-xenon projectors from 05 maxima, bulbs and ballasts, all i need now is some ellipsoids to shove these projectors into. If anyone got some low beam ellipsoids kicking around let me know (not looking to spend a fortune tho)

Thanks
Alex
link to US spec elipsoids that I ripped appart (after stupidly melting)

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...highlight=eyes

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:29 AM   #19
NickP

(edit; got some figures really wrong)

I'm doing this process as we speak.

I'll probably be picking up a set of bi xenon projectors at some point but for now....

I have a spare set of euro projectors kicking around so I'm modifying those to work. To mount the bulbs I'm using a custom washer with an inner diameter of the D2S bulb and the outer diameter of the projector housing (I think around 49mm OD and 18mm ID). In order to get to a flat surface I think I removed 2mm from the base of the H1 bulb. On H1 bulbs the filament to base depth is around 27.5mm (from 25mm to 30mm) and on a D2S bulb this depth is 27.1mm. I'll weld this washer to the projector and probably silicone the bulb to the washer.

The only other mod I made to the projector is to elongate the hole where the D2S bulb's return wire runs so that it won't short to the reflector.

Many say that the euro projectors don't work well with HID bulbs but I don't know if they took the care to properly orient the bulb filament; since I had these spare projectors kicking around I decided to try it out.

The numbers above are probably not 100% accurate - I'll provide accurate numbers when I do the install.

Last edited by NickP; 02-06-2006 at 01:57 AM.
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:11 AM   #20
Gamite

I'm running euro elipsoids with HID's, and the output looks pretty good if you ask me.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:07 AM   #21
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
Quote:
So Zimmie, did you actually manage to retrofit those things into ellipsoid buckets? Was it a lot of headache?

i guess i am gonna have to look for projectors that WILL fit the housing this time around.

Alex

Bought mines as a kit made to fit e30 housing. it came with an adaptor that make it bolt right in the housing if anyone wants to make a template, ill be happy to lend it out.

www.StanceFactory.com
ZiMMie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #22
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
I put factory 4300k HID's from a 2004 MiniCooper S into my Bosch euro ellips.

I removed the projectors and machined the bulb mounting base to accept the D2R or D2S bulb directly.
Wait, so you're using D2S bulbs with no projector or ellipsoid? How the hell does that look?

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:00 PM   #23
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
Wait, so you're using D2S bulbs with no projector or ellipsoid? How the hell does that look?
there is no way he can run those withouy projectors. he machined his euro spec projectors to accpet D2S bulbs.

www.StanceFactory.com

Last edited by ZiMMie; 02-06-2006 at 10:14 PM.
ZiMMie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #24
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Oh, okay. When he said "removed the projectors" I thought he was referring to the E30 ellipsoids.

Makes a lot more sense now.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:38 PM   #25
Jordan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Jordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiMMie
there is no way he can run those withouy projectors. he machined his euro spec projectors to accpet D2S bulbs.

Correct.

How do these e46 projectors work? The projector stand looks too short, like there is no way in hell the ellip glass is going to be right up to the opening for it at the front of the lowbeam lense.

Here is a snapshot out of a video showing my HID's vs Kristins stock US ellipsoids with Sylvania pink package bulbs.

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: