Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-03-2006, 11:31 PM   #1
BigD
the misanthropist

California ticket?

Well looks like this one could come back to bite me in the ass afterall. Last spring I got a ticket for doing over 110 in a 65 I think, it was about 500 US. I threw it away thinking that there was nothing they could do, they sent me letters saying that for failing to appear in court (yah... I was gonna fly back to go to traffic court in Cali...), I owed them community service or 2 days in jail, and now the fine is over 800. I thought it was nothing and hadn't thought of it since. I'm in BC now but back then I was in Ontario and was pulled over with an Ontario license, which no longer exists. My mom said they now got a letter from a collections agency in BC saying I have 15 days to pay. I looked it up and it's the agency that county uses for out of state and Canadian collections, Wiggins Adjustments.

My question is, what can they do to me? I never entered any legal contract saying I will pay that $ by some date, they can't put this on my credit history, can they???

This is serious guys, no speculation please. Only if you know the answer and/or this has happened to you.
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
They can put this on your permanant record. My personal suggestion is to lie. "i paid this 4 months ago, check your records." stall them enough, they'll forget about it eventually

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, graves
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:06 AM   #3
Mtl_e30M3
2nd Gear Member

The best thing to do rite now is get some 'legal' advice (guess thats what you are trying to do though....

Your parents could send a notice back to Wiggins stating that you no longer reside at that address (no more, no less) but the the fact that the envelope was opened and cannot be sent back still sealed (I assume) is unfortunate. So basically all I can say is make it damn difficult for Wiggins to contact you. Eventually they will have to send a registered letter (the kind you sign for) to your current address, if they want to have any legal recourse.

P.S. I have heard that some agencies will try 2-3 times and then give up if the sum is not to large and they deal with a large volume of claims
Mtl_e30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
SickFinga

http://www.magma.ca/~fyst/fystfaq.htm

Quote:
Q: Does Ontario have reciprocal agreement with other provinces and the U.S. i.e. if I am an Ontario resident but received a speeding ticket in another province/the U.S., will the ticket be reported back to Ontario?

A: All provinces in Canada have reciprocal agreement with Ontario. The following states in the U.S. also have reciprocal agreement with Ontario: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, District of Columbia (41 states).

Q: I have received a speeding ticket in X state/province, and I live in Y state/province. Will the ticket/points get transferred?

A: I can't possibly know all the laws from 50 states and 10 provinces in North America, so the best place to find out is to go to your local library, and look up the laws about this topic. The most likely one is called "Motor Vehicle Code" or something similar. Find the section which talks about reciprocal agreements with other states/provinces. Even if you got a ticket from a state where no reciprocal agreement exists between your home state, you should not just ignore the ticket unless you never plan to visit that state in the future. An ignored moving violation can generate a bench warrant for your arrest. If you are pulled over for any reason in that state later, you could spend some time in handcuffs and in behind bars at the worst possible time (say when you are on vacation). Next time you go there, let a friend drive or just take a plane.

your best solution is to contact ticket lawyer
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:17 AM   #5
Furious
BMW again.

big D if you dont pay it , next time you go to california youll be arrested as a fugitive. my one friend can but probably should never go back to conneticut after getting caught. like sickfinga said call a traffic ticket place
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

You have been a bad boy BigD........hehehe......
Old 02-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #7
Primus
super blinger

they cant arrest you or make you pay the fine, all they can do is have an outstanding warrent for your arrest in the state of california, so i dont suggest you go back there, if you do pay the fine you need a pardon to be able to drive there i belive
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:44 PM   #8
BigD
the misanthropist

Thanks guys, I know Cali doesn't have a reciprocal agreement otherwise I would have heard from Ontario wanting to collect "their" ticket long ago.

My main concern here is that it's with a collection agency. I've told my parents that next time they get a letter or a call from them, to just say I don't live there anymore and that's it. If they decide to not give up I'm sure they'll eventually find me. I guess I'll pay it then, I'm not sure. I just don't want this going on my credit rating.

Man, I wanna be like my boss. I remember one time he loaned me 5 grand (no term, no interest, never bugged me for a cent... amazing guy) and we got to talking about collections agencies, he said when his wife died of cancer, she had like 300 bucks left on a credit line she's had since university, and Scotiabank sent it to collections who called him demanding their money back. First was the outrage, but I liked how he said, "when they threatened to ruin my credit rating, I said go ahead, I will never need credit". Must be nice.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #9
Meegis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD
Thanks guys, I know Cali doesn't have a reciprocal agreement otherwise I would have heard from Ontario wanting to collect "their" ticket long ago.

My main concern here is that it's with a collection agency. I've told my parents that next time they get a letter or a call from them, to just say I don't live there anymore and that's it. If they decide to not give up I'm sure they'll eventually find me. I guess I'll pay it then, I'm not sure. I just don't want this going on my credit rating.

Man, I wanna be like my boss. I remember one time he loaned me 5 grand (no term, no interest, never bugged me for a cent... amazing guy) and we got to talking about collections agencies, he said when his wife died of cancer, she had like 300 bucks left on a credit line she's had since university, and Scotiabank sent it to collections who called him demanding their money back. First was the outrage, but I liked how he said, "when they threatened to ruin my credit rating, I said go ahead, I will never need credit". Must be nice.
Cash is good and credit isn't the be all and end all. Although, you do have to remember, if your credit is ****ed, you are too if you ever want to be part of society. It will bar you from many many things, due to the fact that most of your assets are illegitimate and you are just a sitting duck waiting to be caught.
Meegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:07 PM   #10
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meegis
Cash is good and credit isn't the be all and end all. Although, you do have to remember, if your credit is ****ed, you are too if you ever want to be part of society. It will bar you from many many things, due to the fact that most of your assets are illegitimate and you are just a sitting duck waiting to be caught.
Um... I'm not 4 yrs old... the point is if you're as rich as that guy, you don't need credit and there is no part of society you can't buy your way into.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:28 PM   #11
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
umm yeah, lets lecture josh about being rich

yeah, call a traffic lawyer, prolly the best thing to do

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, graves
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: