Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-30-2006, 05:26 PM   #16
sirex
King Sirex

how much did they lower their prices by?
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:04 PM   #17
6speedMaxSE
4th Gear Member

What is up with the alternative fuel sources? I remember watching "Beyond 2000" in the 80s and seeing these solar powered cars and electric cars and we are just getting to that technology. Are the oil companies putting the kaybash on R&D for this stuff?
6speedMaxSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:33 PM   #18
dropped_E30
6th Gear Member

solar power right now is too expensive and too inefficient to implement (i.e. cost outweighs benefit). politicians who have the final say in energy concerns simply do not want to spend money on R & D and developing a proper infrastructure, simply cuz its too expensive. what these politicians fail to realize is that this is the case with most new technologies, its always very expensive in the beginning but you have to spend money on it in order for it to grow.

On the other hand, our lives are so dependent on oil, we practically live off it:

Ink; Cosmetics; Jet Fuel; Heart Valves; Sneakers; Crayons; Bubble Gum; Kerosene; Parachutes; Car Bodies; Telephones; Tires; Brassieres; House; Paint; Tape; Ammonia; Antiseptics; Eyeglasses; Lubricants; Purses; Life Jackets; Waxes; Deodorant

All these products are derived from crude oil. hydrocarbons are very easy to manipulate into different forms and are thus very versatile in the production of many things. in order to come off our dependency for oil, we will need to make some major lifestyle changes and either cut out some of these from our lives completely, or spend a crazy amount of $$$ developing new ways to produce them
dropped_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:35 PM   #19
dropped_E30
6th Gear Member

as for exxon mobil's insane net income, i can only hope that they'll re-invest that money back into new oil patch discoveries, and building/expanding refineries
Old 01-30-2006, 07:02 PM   #20
6speedMaxSE
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropped_E30
solar power right now is too expensive and too inefficient to implement (i.e. cost outweighs benefit). politicians who have the final say in energy concerns simply do not want to spend money on R & D and developing a proper infrastructure, simply cuz its too expensive. what these politicians fail to realize is that this is the case with most new technologies, its always very expensive in the beginning but you have to spend money on it in order for it to grow.
I know all of this and that is the basis of my question. Over 15 years ago they had working cars on different types of fuels. We didn't even have the internet at that time but look where the two have gone. The sky for the web and just above the curb for alternative fuels. I just think they are all in it together (oil company elitists and politicians).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropped_E30
On the other hand, our lives are so dependent on oil, we practically live off it:

Ink; Cosmetics; Jet Fuel; Heart Valves; Sneakers; Crayons; Bubble Gum; Kerosene; Parachutes; Car Bodies; Telephones; Tires; Brassieres; House; Paint; Tape; Ammonia; Antiseptics; Eyeglasses; Lubricants; Purses; Life Jackets; Waxes; Deodorant

All these products are derived from crude oil. hydrocarbons are very easy to manipulate into different forms and are thus very versatile in the production of many things. in order to come off our dependency for oil, we will need to make some major lifestyle changes and either cut out some of these from our lives completely, or spend a crazy amount of $$$ developing new ways to produce them
I agree with all of that but if you take car fuel out of the mix, how much oil would NA use yearly?
6speedMaxSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:17 PM   #21
dropped_E30
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedMaxSE
I just think they are all in it together (oil company elitists and politicians).
I agree with you fully on this one...ok the spike in gas prices during hurricane katrina i can understand, since supply was cut off due to damaged oil rigs and oil companies were making grabs for foreign oil at whatever price and then passing those costs on to consumers....but that spike during Rita when gas jumped to over $2.00/L in some places was a blatant price gouging attempt. in fact just a couple months ago the CEO's from the five big oil corporations were called into a hearing and were asked questions as to why these spikes in consumer prices happened, and they replied, in simple terms, with "we dont know"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedMaxSE
I agree with all of that but if you take car fuel out of the mix, how much oil would NA use yearly?
true, if gasoline demand dropped to zero, oil consumption would decrease by 40% of what it is now, since 40% of a barrel of oil is used to make gasoline. sadly, i dont think demand for gas will ever drop to zero until oil is completely used up...
Old 01-30-2006, 10:33 PM   #22
sirex
King Sirex

i like the smell of gasoline... what else will i get my cheap high off of if they stlp makeing it???

you cant inhale hydrogen and get high off that now can you? Didn't think so.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:44 PM   #23
DAM
Trinational 951

I just had quiznos, yes, they did lower their prices,but their large sub is nowhere as wide as it used to be which is really disappointing, it is now just about the size of a fully loaded subway
Old 01-31-2006, 02:13 PM   #24
1BADRIDE
TECHGURU

Send a message via MSN to 1BADRIDE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAM
I just had quiznos, yes, they did lower their prices,but their large sub is nowhere as wide as it used to be which is really disappointing, it is now just about the size of a fully loaded subway
So in fact they did NOT lower prices... they cut back on portion size and cut the price by the appropriate amount.

FALSE ADVERTISING - quick someone start a class action lawsuit and get us all free Quizno's for life.

McDonalds?! I openly laugh at people who even hint or suggest McDonald's as a meal substitute (unless that is ALL you can afford to eat and you're homeless). Sorry people, but McD's is just DISGUSTING any way you look at it.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:24 PM   #25
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by proprone
eww buddy mickey dee's is gross, wendys FTW, harveys is even better. and if you're a baller, QUIZNOS
perfect statement. 10/10.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: