Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Rides
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-01-2002, 10:00 PM   #31
stanmo
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to stanmo
Hey!

I was planning to go all digital. But if no one wants to buy the stuffs, I am gonna keep everything and make a fiber glass install painted to body colour. How does that sound? Take care bro..
Old 02-04-2002, 10:35 PM   #32
mogie
Woodbumbling at Mazda

Send a message via ICQ to mogie Send a message via MSN to mogie
Digital is very clean and crisp if tuned proper, I have heard some digital systems which did not sound even as half as nice as analogue system. I have heard a Premier OPTICAL system installed in a E36 M3, $15G worth of equipement and labor charges, looked really nice but...tuned incorrectly, it hurt my ears. I would love to have a closer look at your equipement, and listen to the sound. But time really doesn't permit. BTW who did the install??

Jerry
Old 02-04-2002, 10:39 PM   #33
stanmo
1st Gear Newbie

Wow! You're such an audiophile! That'll be great if you can listen to my system. I got it installed at Auto Sound Design. I am gonna bring it back to the shop tomorrow to do some more work. The reason is that the centre channel is picking up an alternator whine... Its so annoying! And in April, I will convert my trunk to a fiber glass painted to body colour! Anyway, you're welcome to take a look whenever you want! See ya! :-)
Old 02-04-2002, 10:57 PM   #34
stanmo
1st Gear Newbie

Yup.. They have two locations.. One on Steeles and one on Hwy. 7. Tam is a nice guy since he's the owner.. hehehehe..
Old 02-04-2002, 11:11 PM   #35
mogie
Woodbumbling at Mazda

Yeah I am a car and home stereo nut, but on a beer budget
From te pix, the install looks very nice, good choice of amps too.
I look forward to seeing yur set up.
And yes alternator whine is very annoying, possible poor grounding, I had that happen too. but fixed that.

Jerry
Old 02-04-2002, 11:15 PM   #36
stanmo
1st Gear Newbie

ROB89M3
hahah.. I also go to York.. And I take Steeles.. That's another reason!

mogie
Things can get pretty expensive! BTW, how did you fix the whining problem? Did you run another ground cable? BTW, the decoder is under the carpet in the front. The decoder is touching the car's chassis bare metel. Do you think that has an effect on it?

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2002, 12:24 AM   #37
Derek330xi
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Derek330xi
hey, i am going to get a dvd player install in my car. is the auto sound design on steeles the same as the one on hwy 7? i went to the one on hwy 7 once. and are they expensive?
Old 02-05-2002, 05:53 PM   #38
Matthew C Smith
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Matthew C Smith
I really like the red interior!

Click the picture to see my NEWLY REDESIGNED webpage

Carbon Fiber Roundels are BACK
Matthew C Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 09:55 AM   #39
mogie
Woodbumbling at Mazda

Hey Stan,

Try isolating ur headunit and decoder away from the factory wire harness ground this can cause unneccessary interfereance, (factory stereos have a filter built in and you do not hear that whine noise- most cars if not built into the headunit, will have a line isolator built in - thus most factory stereos do not sound HiFi, many will overcompensate with other frequencies which supposdly sound good, but is actually not the audiophile sound, just clean to the ear sound) , so create a separate ground to chasiss for both units.
Also is your speaker mounted to the car chasiss bare metal?? if so isolate this away from that your speaker basket should not touch metal, also what is powering your center channel??
What follows is time consuming but will allow you to identify WHAT is the actual source of noise, after each step you can choose to R/T car to see if noise still exhibits.
Verify 1st the grounds, remember not attaching to the factory harness this is a no no. R/T car
2nd isolate your centre channel from bare metal R/T car
3rd isolate your decoder from bare metal R/T car
4th verify all your RCA's are sheilded and away from power lines R/T car
5th verify proper contact to amplifier and speaker wires, if you have a Fluke meter you can verify wave pattern output from your amplifier(s) to see if the pattern is the same- not everyone has this meter its damn expensive. This is really time consuming but very accurate to determine output and interference R/T car
6th Identify which amplifier powers the center, hook up a separate speaker lead into your car with a different speaker, then drive and see if this whine noise is present, if it is then it is not the centre channel speaker.
7th check amplification rewire the inputs of the centre channel into another amp, then drive the separate centre channel you have created to see if noise still exists. if the noise is gone then if could be amplification problem, if it is still there then it could be a source problem, perhaps decoder?? Or the actual Headunit itself, if you have availble at your resources a "test" unit, switch away!

Hopefully this is enough to keep you busy if you haven't figured it out already.

Good Luck,

Jerry
Old 02-07-2002, 02:02 AM   #40
stanmo
1st Gear Newbie

Hi Jerry!

Thanks for your suggestions! Do you do audio installations yourself since you know so much about it? Thanks again pal!

Stanley
Old 02-07-2002, 08:10 AM   #41
mogie
Woodbumbling at Mazda

No I used to when I had time but now I pay someone to do it for me. I just love cars and stereos, I know just enough to get me by. So if something does crop up I can deal with it.

But your welcome, my pleasure. Its 2 cents worth of info, but you never know what it can yeild.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:26 AM   #42
stanmo
1st Gear Newbie

Wow! You're so smart!
Anyway, thanks for the tips! Take care bro!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: