Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-30-2006, 07:33 PM   #1
Swerve
///Maquina

e36 door speakers

yes this topic has been discussed many times, however, specifically,

has anyone installed 3.5" speakers in their door's mid-range location? Could you modify the stock grill to accomodate these?

i.e. 3.5s like these: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...9496%26fvi%3D1

Pics would help if you have them!

///M3 body | Painted kidneys | Hartge spoiler | DJ Autos+DDM HID, DRL delete, clears
Hartge Nova 3+Kumho Ecsta SPT / Hamann HM2+Kumho Ecsta ASX | Bilstein Sports, H&R Sports, KMAC plates, RE RSMs, Racing Dynamics sways, M3 RTABs | M3 Front Brakes
M3 Exhaust | Autothority chip | Cosmos v2+K&N | NGK Iridiums | E46 M knob | clutchstop | woodgrain delete | /////ALPINE, PPI, MB Quart
Swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
the stock grill covers are actually a part of the speaker itself.. it can't be removed. So you'll need aftermarket grill covers.. I just threw out a whole box of brand-name covers too.. (infinity, alpine, harmon kardon, etc.)... doh.

if it'll fit will depend on the mounting depth of the speaker itself.

A more worthy upgrade IMO is to change your kick panel enclosures to fit a 6.5" component, and 1.5" tweeter.

J
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
Swerve
///Maquina

J,

I've seen some of those 6.5 + 1-inch kickpod enclosures on ebay not too long ago, and was VERY tempted. However, I've got 5.25 MB Quart components already in the kickpanels and just wanted to raise my front stage a bit.

All but one midrange in the doors are blown. I bought a used set from a member on bf.c and the mids work great, but I can't get the tweets to work. I know they need a filter, and so, put an 4.7uf/63V electrolytic capacitor on the negative terminal. They just don't play. I'm trying to find some ol MB Quart crossovers I put somewhere (dammit where?!) to try on them, but think that they probably wont work out either.

Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get some 3/4" MB Quart tweeters, dremel out the grey 'face' in the tweeter grill and glue them in. Only problem with that is the tweets would be 4-ohm; whereas the mids are 8-ohm...

///M3 body | Painted kidneys | Hartge spoiler | DJ Autos+DDM HID, DRL delete, clears
Hartge Nova 3+Kumho Ecsta SPT / Hamann HM2+Kumho Ecsta ASX | Bilstein Sports, H&R Sports, KMAC plates, RE RSMs, Racing Dynamics sways, M3 RTABs | M3 Front Brakes
M3 Exhaust | Autothority chip | Cosmos v2+K&N | NGK Iridiums | E46 M knob | clutchstop | woodgrain delete | /////ALPINE, PPI, MB Quart
Swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:45 PM   #4
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Actually you don't need a filter for those tweeters, BMW splices the wires between the midrange and the tweets, but they actually come from the same wire. Do the speaker test... hook up a +12v and -12v (i.e. to your battery) and you should hear a BUZZ sound. It's possible they are blown.

If you have separate wires for those tweeters, perhaps you had the HK premium sound, I only had the 10 speaker premium sound available in 92... perhaps the wiring was different. Also check with a volt meter to ensure your tweeter wires are actually pushing some sound out.

YOu can dremel off the face, I know a few people who have done this and glued it back on... looks okay, does the trick. I prefer getting some MB quart grill govers though... looks nicer.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

yes I have installed 3.5 and 1 tweeter in this door before....the speaker I have use are called AVI and they made near you in B.C...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: