Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-14-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
uber e36
6th Gear Member

Help: Removing Sunroof Liner

So thinair helped me remove my a/c pillars, rear deck, and headliner in order to prep for alcantara... The one thing we left was the sunroof liner.

I tried to get it out today but decided to wait for some advice... Once you pull your headliner, you see a piece of black plastic that covers the inside of your roof, is connected by ~8 screws and is attaced by hoses on all four corners.

The sunroof liner appears to be above this piece and so I determined that you had to remove said piece to access the sunroof liner. I began to pull out the piece (by unscrewing all screws except along the windshield, and uncliping the clip in each rear corner).

When I did this, along with the piece, the actual sunroof came with it... Looking from above the car, you saw the sunroof sink into the car with the piece...

Anyone done this or know of a DIY? Couldn't find one on www.bimmerdiy.com

I don't want to remove my whole sunroof, just the the interior liner...

Thanks!

-Geoff
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
heh. im a pro at removing all sunroof shit. you busy tonight, tomorrow?

(im not accually a pro, just did mine though)

edit: forgot to answer your question, you gotta drop your sunroof to get at the headliner. be sure to drop it in the closed position, its secured in by 8 torx 20 screws

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
uber e36
6th Gear Member

sunroof

Hey!

Unfortunately my car's up in storage near Barrie, so I'll have to get your advice then attempt next weekend...

Good point about the sunroof being closed, I had it in the open position... I'll close it when I go up next.

So I'm supposed to drop the black plastic liner, and the sunroof will come down with it? How do you think I should get at just the liner?

-Geoff
Old 01-14-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
propr'one
op sucks cock

you have to drop the sunroof, no other way. If you want to see what the assembly looks like, you can pop by or nag me for pics (aka ask nicely and i'll show you

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
Old 01-14-2006, 08:57 PM   #5
uber e36
6th Gear Member

proprone... can I see pics? pretty please
Old 01-14-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
uber e36
6th Gear Member

I've gotten this answer from a member on another board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghawk
In order to remove the liner you will need to gain access to it from the top by removing the sunroof lid. From the closed position vent the sunroof slightly while you carefully pull the interior liner towards the back of the car. The sunroof will only need to be vented about 3/4" in order to slide the liner back into the roof cavity (dont push it all the way back as it will be difficult to retrive it.
Now fully vent the sunroof ( careful not to close it as it may damage the liner and or sunroof assembly. Now from inside the car remove the 3 nuts on the rear portion of the lid I believe 17mm. Still from the inside of the car slightly push up on the lid to gain access to the 2 torx screws on the front portion of the lid (one on each side about 1" in from the front of the sunroof). Remove those and remove the lid. Now slide the liner all the way closed and remove the 10 ? torx screws from the top of the liner while standing outside the car and remove it.
This how you did it?

p.s. where abouts in the city do you live?
Old 01-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
propr'one
op sucks cock

jane & bloor, yep that's how i did it

hid headlights hid kit
Old 01-15-2006, 02:46 AM   #8
Gamite

you're gonna do the headliner? what about the other stuff like "holyshit handles" and sun visors?

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 03:55 AM   #9
propr'one
op sucks cock

"do" the headliner? im assuming you mean black it out. If so, the ohshit handles can be painted black and they'll look fine, the visors dont come out well

PM me tomorrow for pics

hid headlights hid kit
Old 01-15-2006, 04:56 AM   #10
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff@bmw
So thinair helped me remove my a/c pillars, rear deck, and headliner in order to prep for alcantara... The one thing we left was the sunroof liner.

I tried to get it out today but decided to wait for some advice... Once you pull your headliner, you see a piece of black plastic that covers the inside of your roof, is connected by ~8 screws and is attaced by hoses on all four corners.

The sunroof liner appears to be above this piece and so I determined that you had to remove said piece to access the sunroof liner. I began to pull out the piece (by unscrewing all screws except along the windshield, and uncliping the clip in each rear corner).

When I did this, along with the piece, the actual sunroof came with it... Looking from above the car, you saw the sunroof sink into the car with the piece...

Anyone done this or know of a DIY? Couldn't find one on www.bimmerdiy.com

I don't want to remove my whole sunroof, just the the interior liner...

Thanks!

-Geoff
As proprone said, you have to remove the entire sunroof cartridge and dismantle it to get the liner out. It will be a PITA to put back together too... my recommendation is to give them the entire cartridge to suede. Or I might have my busted sunroof kicking around somewhere, you can line that panel, and swap them once you're ready to take your sunroof out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite
you're gonna do the headliner? what about the other stuff like "holyshit handles" and sun visors?
He'll need M3 HS handels, visors, courtesy light, vanity lights, and C pillar lights, plus new plugs for the C pillar lights since these ones will have reading lights on them as well. (all of which are black). The sunroof surround will need to be taken from an M3 as well, as well as the plastic underpart of the sunroof which is exposed when the sunroof is tilted.

Or he can be cheap like me and just plastic-dye it all over night. Looks the same, feels the same, never rubs, of scratches off, and only a few dollars to do. But then again, some would consider that a sin to do in a BMW.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #11
uber e36
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite
I'm having the headliner, a/c pillars, rear deck, and shift & ebrake boots done in alcantara...

Actually the cheapest I found real alcantara for is $75/yrd so it might have to be ultra suede (more like $30/yrd)

The accessories will be replaced with the OEM black (schwartz) ones...
Old 01-22-2006, 01:37 PM   #12
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
^ contact www.martrim.co.uk

they do a lot of custom interiors and sell alcantara, he's a good guy and you can work out a deal via email.
They give free samples too, which is useful. I ordered quite a bit of samples for another project I was working on once upon a time.

J
Old 01-29-2006, 02:30 PM   #13
uber e36
6th Gear Member

So I tried this today with no luck...

When I vented the sunroof the liner would not manually slide back. It felt like it was hitting something. It wouldn't budge more than an 1/8"

Any thoughts?
Old 01-29-2006, 02:37 PM   #14
Justin e36
---

yeah, the sunroof liner bacame unhitched, not a big deal.. you'll have to close the sunroof then manually push the liner towards the back of the car, hard. open and close the sunroof a few times manually, the liner will rehook itself.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:52 PM   #15
uber e36
6th Gear Member

J - when the sunroof is closed, how do you push the liner back? you can't grab the front of the liner to push it back when the sunroof is closed...

I did open and close the sunroof a few times, but nothing seemed to change it...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: