Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
Lug_n_trug
2nd Gear Member

Gas cover lock

Well I am LOVING this car right now. After replacing the blower motor, my ABS light coming on, and my door lock not unlocking from the drivers side, I go to get gas this morning and the gas cover is not unlocking. Yes I know it's -30, but still, it's not frozen shut, it's just not unlocking at all. Haynes doesn't cover anything about this, so how do I get it unlocked? My door locks are working fine. And once I get it unlocked, where should I lithium it up to stop it from sticking? Thanks in advance.

And to make matters worse, I'm running on empty, and I just found the fuel filter that I guess I forgot to replace this summer, so about 100k of bad gas is being sucked right up....lovely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Lug_n_trug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
cisco911
6th Gear Member

I'm not sure about E36s because I have never had anyone have this problem, but in benz, there is a little handle that you can pull that is behind the cover in the trunk on the gas side. Not sure if this is also true for E36s. Try pulling back that cover in the trunk and look around the gas cover lock pin to see if there is a little handle you can pull. I'm horrible at explaining sh*t like this, but I hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
Lug_n_trug
2nd Gear Member

Thanks a lot, I'll take a look to see if there is. I'm guessing there has to be a release somewhere, but we'll see. Any other ideas to stop it from sticking if I do get it open?
THanks again
Old 01-16-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
mirek
6th Gear Member

IIRC just pull the carpet out on the right side of your trunk, there should be an actuator and an emergency release cable to pull the solenoid out..
mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirek
IIRC just pull the carpet out on the right side of your trunk, there should be an actuator and an emergency release cable to pull the solenoid out..
bingo. you can open it if you remove the trunk lining on the right. Either with a release cable, or using a screwdriver to manually turn the actuator. It'll need lubing up with some white-grease.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:54 PM   #6
Lug_n_trug
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the responses, somehow it just opened and I filled up. When it is less than -30 out there, I'll be greasing it up nicely. Looks like +2 on wed!

Anyhow, as long as I have this, I'll never be able to buy groceries...
Old 01-18-2006, 01:35 AM   #7
BennyL
7th Gear Member

lol

i was going to mention checking the right side of the trunk as well. although i have not had this problem yet, i know my Lexus SC400 has the release cable there too.

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: