Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
BMWFORLIFE
Technoviolet Shifting

Illuminated shift knob

Hye guys, this might be a stupid question but, will the illuminated M3 shift nob work in a e36 model i think it looks sexy.....could i get the illumination to work....any ideas.
BMWFORLIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
Soldo
6th Gear Member

ya..... the knob should come with the wiring kit!
Its a plug and play kit if its an OEM part!
Old 01-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #3
BMWFORLIFE
Technoviolet Shifting

oh ok..so it will fit an e36 318ic and it will light up...where would u hook it up to..
Old 01-08-2006, 03:08 AM   #4
Soldo
6th Gear Member

If the kit is purchased from the dealer, it comes with an instruction manual whoch also has a HOW TO picture.

The knob basically comes with a LONGGGGGG wire, which you run under the dash of you steering wheel, and it plugs into.... if i remember correctly.... the same plug as the dimmer control thats just to the left of the steering wheel!

If you just have the Knob, i can guide you through it... if i HAVE TO!
Old 01-08-2006, 05:54 AM   #5
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
The illuminated shift knob comes with a female plug that you connect to your existing male plug if your vehicle already came with a lighted shift knob. (m3's, z3's?)

If your vehicle did NOT come with a lighted shift knob already, then you will have to either get the female connector from the dealership, or simply tap into an existing circuit. The connector part number is 61-13-1-378-108. You will need two metal pins to fit inside the connector as well. Part numbers 61-13-1-376-202. In total these parts will cost you around $5. You will then have to tap these wires into an existing circuit. The connector is not necessary though, read on...

If you lift up your shift boot, you'll see the hazard light switch and wires at the bottom. Tap into the Gray & Brown wires there. Your shift knob will also have a Grey, and Brown wire. Match it up, tap into it with some wire taps, tape it up, and you're done. I believe the gray wire has a purple or red stripe on it.

It will turn on with your hazard light, and the dimmer will work too.

Justin
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #6
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
The illuminated shift knob comes with a female plug that you connect to your existing male plug if your vehicle already came with a lighted shift knob. (m3's, z3's?)

If your vehicle did NOT come with a lighted shift knob already, then you will have to either get the female connector from the dealership, or simply tap into an existing circuit. The connector part number is 61-13-1-378-108. You will need two metal pins to fit inside the connector as well. Part numbers 61-13-1-376-202. In total these parts will cost you around $5. You will then have to tap these wires into an existing circuit. The connector is not necessary though, read on...

If you lift up your shift boot, you'll see the hazard light switch and wires at the bottom. Tap into the Gray & Brown wires there. Your shift knob will also have a Grey, and Brown wire. Match it up, tap into it with some wire taps, tape it up, and you're done. I believe the gray wire has a purple or red stripe on it.

It will turn on with your hazard light, and the dimmer will work too.

Justin
REALLY!?!?!?

I bought a OEM knob that came from a M3 and it was a direct plug n play into my car!
Old 01-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
What did you plug it into?
Old 01-08-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Im not sure about this, but when i was taking my armrest panel apart, there was a wire for a light. Im pretty sure you can just use that.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:15 PM   #9
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
What did you plug it into?
It came with a manual which showed how to install it as well, i believe its off of the same plug that controls the dimmer for your cluster, so you can dim the knob as well!
Old 01-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #10
Justin e36
---

propone - yeah, that's what most people wire it to, the ashtray lights / circuit.

soldo - its possible, and would make sense if you look at the connector for it. tapping into any interior light circut (minus the window switches), and headlight switch) will still dim the knob. Is the knob you got possibly wired aftermarket, or were they all like that from the factory? The stock shift knob usually plugs into a connector right under the boot, the wire for it isn't very long usually.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:35 PM   #11
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Mine was an OEM part, came in the OEM BOX, with the oem part number/sticker still on it.

Yes, the knob pluged into a wire that pluged into the back of the dimmer, and all that came inside the box!

I know that you can easily splice it to other interior wires, but when i had it, it made for a nice clean install, and taking it out was a little tricky, cause i forgot how it was put in, since i did it so long ago, lol!
Old 01-08-2006, 04:41 PM   #12
Justin e36
---

Nice! Well I guess it can plug into the dimmer switch too then. ... I wonder if that's a retrofit kit from the dealership? My shiftknob also came from the dealer, but the wire was barely long enough to make it to the dimmer switch. I just got the female parts, soldiered it into another circuit and plugged it in. Worked well till I blew up my shift knob.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:38 PM   #13
BMWFORLIFE
Technoviolet Shifting

so how do u pull the knob out is th enxty question...
Old 01-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #14
Justin e36
---

put it into 4th gear, and pull straight up. you can pull it up at any time, but in 4th gear there's less of a chance of you sitting the rearview or windshield. (it takes quite a bit of force on some cars, and I know people who have cracked their windshields removing their shift knob on this forum.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: